Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if I'm imagining things, but is it possible for a wheelset to feel like it's actually pulling you forward with every pedal stroke? I just did a time trial on a 29 mile course and my average speed was 21.9 MPH in a stiff headwind. The weird thing is that as I pushed on the pedals I felt like I was getting help. The wheelset sliced the air. And the crosswind didn't even phase the bike, which I thought was strange since my Mavics throw me around in a crosswind. Whatever the Engineers did to design this rim. Keep doing it.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
i get the same feeling with my flashpoint 60 wheelset, only i have to get
up to about 23-24 before i can feel it. i want to get an 80 or 90mm rear
and see what happens...

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
Zipp claims that some of their wheels actually have a negative coefficient of drag at certain wind angles.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slow Eddie said:
Zipp claims that some of their wheels actually have a negative coefficient of drag at certain wind angles.
I believe that this could be the case with these wheels too. It's like I'm being pushed along. It is all very strange too when it happens because you think you're Superman. But then reality sets in when I see that my cadence has not changed, nor my power output. I attribute the psychological effect on the wheelset.

·
Registered
311 Posts
master2129 said:
I attribute the psychological effect on the wheelset.
Placebo? Is that what you are saying?

I have had this feeling too. Sometimes it is on a nice day, or when I am in a good mood...sometimes it happens when I bolt on an upgrade. I find that after a few rides it becomes clear what is psychological and what is physiological.

Being in a great mood (however you get there) can have large impacts on RPE and performance.

If your power, cadence, etc. were all unchanged, but it felt easier I would say you lowered your RPE by being jazzed about a new snazzy wheel set. Unfortunately it will probably not last...beware of upgrade-itis, there is a diminishing return.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Unfortunately upgrade-itis will happen or can get the best of you no matter if it's with road bikes and or parts, cars, esoteric audio gear, camera gear I could go on and on and on. Sure is fun though....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unit said:
Placebo? Is that what you are saying?

I have had this feeling too. Sometimes it is on a nice day, or when I am in a good mood...sometimes it happens when I bolt on an upgrade. I find that after a few rides it becomes clear what is psychological and what is physiological.

Being in a great mood (however you get there) can have large impacts on RPE and performance.

If your power, cadence, etc. were all unchanged, but it felt easier I would say you lowered your RPE by being jazzed about a new snazzy wheel set. Unfortunately it will probably not last...beware of upgrade-itis, there is a diminishing return.
Placebo? Possibly. But what is real data and actual fact is that my average speed was up by 1.9 MPH on this same course and I felt very fresh at the end of the race. My point is that I can only attribute this increase to the equipment (the Edge wheelset) because nothing else changed. It was just my wheels. And to top it off, I was in a really tough headwind the whole course. So I think it may be a bit of both. But the equipment sure didn't hurt at all. :thumbsup:

·
dropped!
485 Posts
i always subscribe to the theory that "there's no such thing as free speed", even if they cost $2400- :) although i'd love to believe that you were that much quicker because of the wheels, but i'd wait until i did a few more TT's to see if it was the wheels, or maybe you had "good legs" that day. do another few TT's and please update your findings on this thread.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
master2129 said:
The weird thing is that as I pushed on the pedals I felt like I was getting help. The wheelset sliced the air.
That does it... I'm getting rid of my FP80 front and disk rear... because I've never once gotten sensations like this.

I don't know what you had before, but it is extremely unlikely that you could attribute more than 0.5mph to the wheelset... and this is only at ideal yaw angles and assuming that you previous set was really bad.

Sounds like the Edge rims are doing their job anyway... as good as any deep rim.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
r_mutt said:
i always subscribe to the theory that "there's no such thing as free speed", even if they cost $2400- :) although i'd love to believe that you were that much quicker because of the wheels, but i'd wait until i did a few more TT's to see if it was the wheels, or maybe you had "good legs" that day. do another few TT's and please update your findings on this thread.
Did a Club TT last evening. What a blast it was. The course was 18 miles and very hilly. Wind was about 12 MPH, so not too bad. We headed into the wind for about 13 miles and the last 5 miles the wind was cutting across from Right to Left.

The wheelset again was very stable in the headwind and the crosswind. My average watts was 209 and my avg. speed was 19.6 MPH. The wheels felt great. My legs felt pretty good too. I had a nice rhythm. I'm enjoying these wheels a bunch. My only qualm is that I find myself babying the wheelset over rougher sections of road. I just don't want to crack them. They cost me $2500 and I don't feel like destroying them on a pot hole. But that's not the wheelset's fault. It's the clumsy rider's fault.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rruff said:
That does it... I'm getting rid of my FP80 front and disk rear... because I've never once gotten sensations like this.

I don't know what you had before, but it is extremely unlikely that you could attribute more than 0.5mph to the wheelset... and this is only at ideal yaw angles and assuming that you previous set was really bad.

Sounds like the Edge rims are doing their job anyway... as good as any deep rim.
I was using a set of Fulcrums. Good solid wheelset. Just not fast.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
High numbers

rruff said:
Some pretty thorough testing has shown that at 25 mph, the BEST aero wheels are good for 0.4 mph compared to 32 spoke box section wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts