Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

I purchased the Garmin 705 a few weeks ago and am having a blast with it. I've got a few rides that I've always done in the 705 now and uploaded to Garmin Connect as well, but am wondering how to edit the rides GPX or TCX files. I can see some area where I could make the rides more efficient or larger loops, but can't figure out how to edit the maps.

Help!!

Thanks

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
I can edit a gpx file on mapsource after importing from my gps but I don't know it an altered file will export back to the unit. (or a created file for that matter) You can delete almanac data but you cannot edit it.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I'd say that you aren't going to have much joy trying to edit. I'm sure it can be done, but you'll be happier creating new routes and uploading those. If you have the Garmin Mapsource software on your PC it's an easy task. Otherwise, you ought to be able to use one of the many online mapping facilities (bikeroutetoaster is my current fav) to create either a route or course for upload.

Note: Even if you don't have a Mapsource product, you are eligible to download it free from Garmin. While it won't have detailed maps in that form, it does make it fairly easy to get public-source gpx files into the unit. You can also use gpsbabel, but that's probably fussier than necessary for this use. Training Center can work, too, but I always get a little nervous when I'm potentially messing with my history along the way.

Disclaimer: I have a 305 rather than a 705, but have played with each some. Haven't tried to upload to a 705, but load created courses to the 305 all the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts