Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - sorry if this is an already asked question or should be intuitive.

Thinking of going with the new fad of wider rims for my next wheels, just to try something different. I'm currently riding narrow-ish rims (19 outside, 15mm inside, if I remember) with 23mm tires. The tires (Michelin Pro 3) actually measure very close to23 mm on those rims. The tires go in and out of the brakes OK when the brake QR is released. I'm actually very happy with the comfort and handling of these tires and rims so mainly am interested in in the wider rims just to try something different.

I remove and replace my front wheel several times a week, almost every single ride.

I'm wondering if I went to a wider rim, if that would affect the ease of getting the tires in and out. I understand the brakes would be adjusted a little wider for the wider rim, and therefore the QR release position would also be wider. Would the tire profile also be wider enough to make removing the wheel more difficult? Or would the fact that the brakes are set wider to begin with make it easier.

This isn't the primary consideration I have, but it's something I'd like to know about. My wife's road bike runs 28mm tires (obviously an extreme situation that doesn't apply here), but it is so much of a hassle removing and replacing the tire, we pretty much deflate it and reinflate whenever we have to do that. It's not a big deal because we only remove that wheel a couple times a month, not several times per week.

If the wider rims made wheel removal/replacement as much of a hassle for my bike, it would be a point against wide rims.

·
Registered
828 Posts
View attachment 279629

Notice the wider rim and tire are more aligned with the brake track? This is basically the effect a wider rim has on the same size tire. If you went to a larger tire (28mm) asside from adjusting the QR closed position to compensate for the wider rim you need to make sure a 28mm will work on your frame, but even if it does I would speculate that opening the QR will allow just enough room to squeeze the tire through.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
There is no effect. Theoretically it would be easier to remove a wheel because the tire doesn't stick out as far past the brake track (which your pads are set in relation to) but in practice there's no effect what-so-ever.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The true "wide", that means toroidal shaped like Zipp FC, Bont Aeolus, Hed Stinger etc...are typically narrow at the brake track than the widest point of the rim.

Regarding the tires, they are usually narower, or the exact same width of the brake track. Hence, as an example, on a Zipp FC 303 tubular with Vittoria Corsa Evo 23mm tires, you don't need to touch the brakes at all, in/out without any issues or screwing around. The brake track is 25mm, tire width 23mm..so the tire doesn't even come close to touching the pads when the wheel is taken on/off.

If it is just a "wide" rim at the brack track, and the tire is wider (non-toroidal), I still think you wouldn't have to touch the brakes since the pads are usually a mm or 2 from the rim anyway, so they should clear the tire with ease also.

Short of it is, I never touch my quick brake lever on my Zipp FCs wheels. Even if I ran 25mm tires, wouldn't be an issue...undo the skewer, wheel comes right out, nothing more to see here!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I run 23mm wide rims with 23mm Pro 4 tires. I remove and install front and rear wheels without releasing the brake calipers.

The rims measure 23mm wide and the installed 23mm Pro4 tires measure 25mm wide. If you have more than 1mm between the shoes and rim on each side, you won't need to release the calipers.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
No effect whatsoever..........In addition to the previous posts, also consider calipers are equipped with a barrel adjustment; if this is not enough then readjust your cable.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
I run 25mm Conti 4000S tires on Velocity A23 rims with Dura-Ace 7800 brakes. I don't have to open the brakes to remove the wheels. The braking position is the removal position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.