Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to various reasons, some of which was poor judgement, I think I got dehydrated on my long and rather hard(for me) ride Saturday. It was warm 80 degrees, humidity was around 70% and wind was 20+. I took only 2 bottles of my gatorade mixture (light salt added for more potassume) instead of 3 bottles. The last 45 minutes of the ride my performance suffered and I got leg cramps. Part of this may be a fitness issue, but I'm sure part was due to dehydration. Question: Is there additioanl tissue damage done and thus a longer recovery period when dehydration occurs at the level I discribed. This was not life threating, but the last 30 minutes was not fun-like peddling through jello! I've been drinking water or some gatorade since the ride. I slosh when I walk. So I'm well hydrated now. The legs are not happy yet.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Recovery

Schneiderguy said:
This was not life threating, but the last 30 minutes was not fun-like peddling through jello! I've been drinking water or some gatorade since the ride. I slosh when I walk. So I'm well hydrated now. The legs are not happy yet.
Actually, if you're still sloshing, you're probably still not fully recovered. It does take an extra day or two to recover from an incident like this. Extra salt on your food is helpful. For reference, the general guideline is 1-2 oz of fluid per mile of riding, depending on heat and humidity. Included with or in that fluid must be adequate salt. Your description fits classic dehydration.

· Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kerry. I find your posts on the Board helpful and informative.

Do you use or recommend and particular supplement for long hard rides in summer conditions-hot and humid? As I said in the OP, i use gatorade with 1/4 teaspoon of light salt added which is lower in sodium (gatorade has lots of sodium and lots of potassum which is not very much of in the gatorade). Have you used or have friends that use products such as Hydrafuel, and Electrolytes with good results?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Repeat offender

Schneiderguy said:
Do you use or recommend and particular supplement for long hard rides in summer conditions-hot and humid? As I said in the OP, i use gatorade with 1/4 teaspoon of light salt added which is lower in sodium (gatorade has lots of sodium and lots of potassum which is not very much of in the gatorade). Have you used or have friends that use products such as Hydrafuel, and Electrolytes with good results?
I don't use any special drinks - I drink water. I get my salt by adding table salt and salt substitute to my fig bars - the salt sticks to the open ends of the fig bars and you get a salty-sweet taste. The reasons I drink water is because: 1) it doesn't mess up my bike and 2) I can hydrate separately from my energy/electrolyte intake. On really hot days, I take in more water, on cold days, I take in less, but my energy needs don't change, and I get my energy from food. On hot/humid rides, I add about 1/2 tsp of each of the salts for 100-120 mile rides. On cooler rides, about 1/4 tsp each. Sweat salt content has been shown to vary from 115 to 2300 mg/liter, so it is a very indivdual thing. If you want to use a drink, you just have to try them and see what you like. Some of them don't sit well with some people.

· Registered
4 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I don't use any special drinks - I drink water. I get my salt by adding table salt and salt substitute to my fig bars - the salt sticks to the open ends of the fig bars and you get a salty-sweet taste. The reasons I drink water is because: 1) it doesn't mess up my bike and 2) I can hydrate separately from my energy/electrolyte intake. On really hot days, I take in more water, on cold days, I take in less, but my energy needs don't change, and I get my energy from food. On hot/humid rides, I add about 1/2 tsp of each of the salts for 100-120 mile rides. On cooler rides, about 1/4 tsp each. Sweat salt content has been shown to vary from 115 to 2300 mg/liter, so it is a very indivdual thing. If you want to use a drink, you just have to try them and see what you like. Some of them don't sit well with some people.
Interesting...And you have never suffered from "hypnoatremia" because of the salt you add to your water and fig bars (brand?)...Just curious...are your 100-120 mile rides generally flat, have rollers, or the occasional mountain (how long are you in the saddle?...cheers

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=29135&highlight=shortness+of+breath

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Backwards

windmann2 said:
And you have never suffered from "hypnoatremia" because of the salt you add to your water and fig bars (brand?)...Just curious...are your 100-120 mile rides generally flat, have rollers, or the occasional mountain (how long are you in the saddle?
You have it backwards. Hyponatremia (not hypnoatremia!) comes from drinking too much water without enough salt - your body is flooded and the sodium (naetrium in Latin) is diluted. You add the salt to PREVENT hyponatremia. I don't know why it would make any difference which brand of fig bars I use, but for the record I like Fig Newtons. My typical long ride is about 60 miles of flat, 50 miles of rollers, maybe 2000 feet of climbing. Door-to-door it runs 6-6.5 hours including time spent at the half way break.

Hypnoatremia is an interesting idea - something about hypnosis and large lobbies in Exectuive Suites hotels?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.