Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for my first set of clipless pedals. One of the types interesting me is Egg Beaters. Does anybody have these on their road bike? how do they feel on long rides, centuries? climbs? sprints? is 6 degrees of float enough? thank you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
dovid said:
I'm looking for my first set of clipless pedals. One of the types interesting me is Egg Beaters. Does anybody have these on their road bike? how do they feel on long rides, centuries? climbs? sprints? is 6 degrees of float enough? thank you.
Egg beaters feel fine on a road bike if you have shoes with fairly stiff soles. I use MTB shoes with mine, although they also have a cleat designed for road shoes. I prefer having something that I can comfortably walk in when off the bike. If you don't have a stiff sole, they will cause hot spots on your feet that become very uncomfortable. IMHO, the beaters are a better road than off-road pedal because their small platform is difficult to use when not clipped in. For off-road use, I prefer Times.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
dovid said:
Pretty good, actually. I have been running that set up since last summer and like the super low weight, easy clip-in, and "just right" float. When weighed with the cleats as well, the Eggbeater system is lighter and cheaper then even the Speedplays.

They have a road cleat (with pontoons) if you want to run them with your road shoes.

I use a regular set of eggbeaters on my Cross bike, and a spiffy set of the twin Ti's on my road bike. I had run the Speedplay X-2's before but found they had too much float for me, and harder clip-in then I wanted.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
No Issues

Love eggbeaters. Great pedals overall and really excellent for a first set of clipless pedals with the four sided entry and easy exit. Put eggbeaters on my wife's bike to break her into clipless pedals, no way will she ever allow me to remove them from any of her bikes now.

They are fine on road bike. If you are planning on doing longer riders (centuries) you'll probably want to invest in a good pair of cycling shoes that have stiff soles. Efficiency for climbing and sprinting probably has a lot more to do with the shoe than the pedals (obviously this neglects the whole engine issue of climbing and sprinting). In all honesty, you will want to invest in a good a pair of shoes anyway, it's money well spent. In my experience, if you skimp on shoes early you just end up buying expensive shoes later anyway.

The float is fine, but you may have to tweak the cleat alignment a bit at the start until you find a comfortable spot. Not a big deal, just bring an allen wrench along the first couple times you ride.

Eggbeaters come with cleats that fit mtn bike shoes, but you can get road bike compatible cleats from crank bros.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
smokey422 said:
Egg beaters feel fine on a road bike if you have shoes with fairly stiff soles. I use MTB shoes with mine, although they also have a cleat designed for road shoes. I prefer having something that I can comfortably walk in when off the bike. If you don't have a stiff sole, they will cause hot spots on your feet that become very uncomfortable. IMHO, the beaters are a better road than off-road pedal because their small platform is difficult to use when not clipped in. For off-road use, I prefer Times.
I didn't have that issue much, although I am running the Candy Sl's on my Specialized full suspension MTN bike, which of course have a small platform around the clip in area allowing you to ride on them unclipped. They have the large platform Mallet version for the DH/Freeride/likes big platform types as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Coolhand said:
I use a regular set of eggbeaters on my Cross bike, and a spiffy set of the twin Ti's on my road bike. I had run the Speedplay X-2's before but found they had too much float for me, and harder clip-in then I wanted.
Same here, it was killing me beating up the twin ti's on the MTB so I switched back to regular eggs on the MTB and put the twin ti's on the road bike. With Carbon shoes and 'road' cleats the eggs work great.

·
Non non normal
10,154 Posts
Love em

Tried a pair on my fixed bike and discovered they work great. I am planning on switching all of my bikes pedals to them. Like the above post stated, people are paying a heck of a lot more for systems that aren't as light. The way the shoe technology has progressed, if you get a stiff shoe there is no problem with hot spots and the need for a larger platform.

I use specialized sport MTB shoes and they work nice and I can walk in them too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Love the Eggs on my Trek 5200. As for shoes, I bought some Pearl Izumi mountain bike shoes (can't remember the name...they all start with V's) that I would recommend. They're stiff, fit well, are OK to walk in and look a lot like road shoes, except for the gnarly tread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are good pedals

I own four bikes, two road bikes and two cross bikes. I bought one set of egg beaters and liked them so much, I sold my Atac's and Speedplays and now have them on all my bikes. These are the best pedals I have ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
19,536 Posts
Sorry to cast a dissenting vote, but I found the eggbeaters to be thoroughly mediocre on my road bike. They're great on my mountain bike, because of their ease of entry and their mud-shedding capability, but they just lack the stability that is so important in road riding. If you insist on pedals that allow you to use shoes you can actually walk in, I'd go for a set of SPD's. In my experience, the SPD pedal and cleat combo grip you much more securely and comfortably. I currently have SPD's on my "second bike," my office/play hooky bike. They're not quite as nice as the Campy road pedals I have on my First Bike, but generally they're just fine.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
dovid said:
on the shoes in $100 range?
Look to Specialized, Shimano or Sidi's. Each should have a nice model in that range. However, this is not a mail order thing. You need to try the shoes on. Everyones fit different and the size runs between brands are not consistent. This may be an area to splurge a bit, because if your feet hurt, your ride will suck no matter what.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
Float on the Egg Beaters?

Max11 said:
I own four bikes, two road bikes and two cross bikes. I bought one set of egg beaters and liked them so much, I sold my Atac's and Speedplays and now have them on all my bikes. These are the best pedals I have ever owned.

I have been planning to buy a pair of Speedplay, but like the 4-sided idea of the Eggs. How's the float? I saw a couple of other notes that said it was "fine", but the reason I've been thinking about Speedplay is because of the great float it's supposed to provide. Can anyone give me an idea of how much float I'll get on the Egg Beaters? Right now, all 4 bikes have SPD-R, but my knees really start creaking on longer rides.

·
MTBR Super Mod'
272 Posts
Coolhand said:
I didn't have that issue much, although I am running the Candy Sl's on my Specialized full suspension MTN bike, which of course have a small platform around the clip in area allowing you to ride on them unclipped. They have the large platform Mallet version for the DH/Freeride/likes big platform types as well.
I should give the candies a go. I find in rocky stuff the Eggies can come unclipped which is a great pain, particularly in really technical stuff.

Trevor!

·
MTBR Super Mod'
272 Posts
dovid said:
I have been using my friends beater roadie with some Twin Tis for the last week or so till I get my new roadie and have to say I am actually happy with the performance of the pedals on the road bike.

FWIW, I have used Shimano M959 pedals on the roadie and really did not like them for several reasons, including the metal to metal noise I would get. In contrast though, the eggies are really good on the road. I have been using a Top of the line SIDI shoe and find them to be fine, no issues, discomfort etc.

Feel fine climbing, sprinting too and on long rides. I really cant find too much fault to be honest.

Trevor!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have Eggs on my mtn.bike and my 'cross bike which I use for long road rides and "training"races.I use Sidi SRS and Shimano carbon shoes.I love the Eggs.
I know two guys that swear the Speedply pedals screwed their knees/ankles up because they have TOO MUCH float.
I've never tried them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They work fine for me on all my bikes-SS mtb, FS mtb, road bikes. Liked them better than SPD types. Easier entry for me. Havn't inadvertently unclipped yet. Float is fine-you can adjust to early or later release, but you can't adjust the tension, which has been just right for me. The original ones had some report of bad seals, but I have serviced mine with zero problems, and havn't worn out a bearing or seal, and I ride my mtbs in fine granite soil which is like grinding compound for brake pads. I only use mtb shoes, have used specialized-wore them out-, SIDI Dominator II's-they may outlast me, Shimanos and Gaerne-the lightest. All have been adequately stiff, the pedal forces go out on the ridges beside the cleats and I have had no hot spots-?no power no hot spots?. I have used the originals, chrome, and triple ti. They all work the same. The chromes haven't rusted. The triple ti's havn't made me faster. I can't tell a difference when I am using them. I havn't used the road cleats that came with the triple ti's, someone described them as a cleat with pontoons attached, that's pretty accurate. You can buy the chromes for $60 plus shipping in several places, so the price of a trial is not major. I can't think of a good reason to get more expensive ones, the chromes seem functionally the equal of the triple ti's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.