Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Eggbeaters for the last two years and love the pedals, but have been a little disappointed recently.

I ride these pedals on my cross bike, so they probably have 2 - 3k miles on them. I didn't rebuild them until recently when I noticed play in them. I bought the rebuild kit and rebuit them. It was simple. The play is less, but it is still there.

Called Crank Brothers. They said I should have rebuilt them every six months and, since I didn't, the pedal or spindle body has probably been ground down. Therefore, this isn't a warranty issue.

This kills me because Ilove these pedals and the company and I feel dumb for not taking better care of my equipment.

I just wanted to hear feedback from other eggbeater/candy users and see what kind of rebuild schedule you follow. Do you do a rebuild every six months? Use the grease gun more often?

Just interested.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I have three sets of Eggbeater SLs, all from 2005 or earlier. I've never performed the slightest maintenance on any of them. I use these for CX season and MTB, so pretty much year round for the duration. I just checked them all and not a hint of play. I'd say the maintenance interval is roughly every 6 to 45 months. :D

I did manage to crack a Candy.

· Registered
41 Posts
It seems to varry a great deal with some ignoring them for many kms while others doggedly rebuild them every season.

My luck ran out at the weekend when my eggbeater decided to stop turning during a mtb race (an odd sensation). I stopped and jiggled it around for a while and it began turning again, albeit with a good half inch of play in the spindle! I probably did my pedal in just the way you did, but I may have just stripped the nut which holds the spindle on. I will disassemble and investigate.

If the spindle is shot you can buy replacements in stainless or ti. The advantage of doing this is that they are 4mm shorter than the stock SL ones and reduce your Q factor.

· Registered
2,229 Posts
I have a bunch of them on different bikes and have found that even when fairly new they exhibit signs of bearing tightness after just maybe a dozen rides. If I really cared, I'd grease them maybe every 10 rides, but as it is I do it a few times a year and grease them all.

I use the very cheapest model. They work nicely but have the flimsiest construction of any pedal I have seen. I have some that are 3 seasons old on my winter bike, and it seems like the bearings don't even exist any more, the pedals will slide out on the shaft a full half inch.

They should just make a zerk fitting that you install on that thing and leave on, so they can be greased every morning like a bulldozer or farm implement, they are about the same level of technical sophistication. They do click in nice though.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The play in my pedals is very slight and they are definitely still rideable. I ride the SLs and so they're not as painful to replace as nice Time's or XTR pedals. The idea to replace the spindles is also a good one - I'm just not sure if I can confirm that it is the spindle and not the pedal body that is the problem.

· Registered
25 Posts
I agree with the maintenance time period, 6 months to never. I could go on about my meticulous maintenance schedule but that would just be b.s. I have just replaced cleats and haven't had any problems. Although I did have a body that came off the spindle and Crank Brothers was quick to take care of them. Overall I have been impressed with the beating that all of my CB pedals have taken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.