Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from seeing this movie, which documents The Beatles during their touring years- what it was like, why they stopped. At the end, a half hour movie of the Shea Stadium concert.

If you're a fan, it's a great way to geek out and listen to some of the music on theater speakers, remastered. If you're not a fan, you'll at least gain some appreciation for how hard they worked and how they handled the onslaught of worldwide fame at such a young age.

We were probably the youngest people in the audience. A woman behind us was singing a bit, and when the lights came on, she apologized for not being able to help herself- "I was there," she said, and I commended her for her restraint during the concert footage.

She put her scarf over her mouth, showing how she was trying to restrain herself from singing too loud, and I said it wasn't a problem- made me feel better about doing the same thing!

It was produced by Ron Howard, didn't go into much depth, instead stayed true to the topic. This was a bit disappointing, but probably b/c the average music fan knows so much Beatles trivia that you keep thinking there's more to be said about everything.

Even by staying on topic, the movie is 2hrs + the extra 30min of concert at the end. Doesn't feel that long, though. It's a sweet tribute, and a reminder that if they kept touring (basically phoning it in as a boy band since the music wasn't even being heard), we wouldn't have had their later catalog of truly groundbreaking songs. :9: :2:

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
a good one to see with an audience.

'eight days a week' ... that's a ringoism, like 'tomorrow never knows' and 'a hard day's night.'

speaking of 'a hard day's night' ... that's one of the best films ever made. not sure if it's in the afi 100 or 200, but it should be.

scorsese's doc of george harrison is great too.

i like ron howard, but not so much his films. 'night shift' was good. still, i'll look forward to this beatles doc.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scorsese did a documentary of Harrison? Didn't know that. There isn't a millisecond of Beatles' lives that hasn't been examined.

This documentary included some fan footage, including the very last time they walked off stage before putting an end to the tours.

Also, Paul had forgotten about how they took a stand on segregation at the venues- it wasn't even a second thought for the group. They were asked in an interview if they were aware that their next stop would be at a segregated stadium, and Paul just remarked that he thought it was ridiculous; that if they had known, they wouldn't have agreed to it.

Paul's comments are typically modest, but he's always been realistic about his fame, kept it about the music and didn't get full of himself (from what I can tell.)

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Scorsese did a documentary of Harrison?
it's great, and titled, 'living in a material world.'

They were asked in an interview if they were aware that their next stop would be at a segregated stadium, and Paul just remarked ... that if they had known, they wouldn't have agreed to it.
reminds me of fugazi, who would only play all-ages shows. i think they played only one show that wasn't. they also kept down cd prices ($8) and show tickets ($5) -- sorta unheard of in this 'material world.'

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to have more stuff to listen to here at work, thanks!

Ron Howard says that he wants millennials to see this movie, so they can understand the importance of The Beatles. It's weird that I became such a fan of theirs- as a teenager, it was Bon Jovi, Madonna and such that were all the rage. Guess I just gravitated toward the music.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Glad to have more stuff to listen to here at work, thanks!

Ron Howard says that he wants millennials to see this movie, so they can understand the importance of The Beatles. It's weird that I became such a fan of theirs- as a teenager, it was Bon Jovi, Madonna and such that were all the rage. Guess I just gravitated toward the music.
If you look at the comments by young people on YouTube, under tracks by the Beatles, ELP, Jethro Tull, etc., many acknowledge that today's stuff leaves them cold. They've gone completely back another era and began exploring from there. Like you, I suspect, these people actually like music and it's not something they listen to just because everyone else does.

If you ever get a chance to see these guys, go.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gah!! Half of the documentary is blocked on copyright grounds! :cryin: But the available parts are great. Will have to settle for the crumbs, and the tribute band! :p

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Just got back from seeing this movie, which documents The Beatles during their touring years- what it was like, why they stopped. At the end, a half hour movie of the Shea Stadium concert.

If you're a fan, it's a great way to geek out and listen to some of the music on theater speakers, remastered. If you're not a fan, you'll at least gain some appreciation for how hard they worked and how they handled the onslaught of worldwide fame at such a young age.

We were probably the youngest people in the audience. A woman behind us was singing a bit, and when the lights came on, she apologized for not being able to help herself- "I was there," she said, and I commended her for her restraint during the concert footage.

She put her scarf over her mouth, showing how she was trying to restrain herself from singing too loud, and I said it wasn't a problem- made me feel better about doing the same thing!

It was produced by Ron Howard, didn't go into much depth, instead stayed true to the topic. This was a bit disappointing, but probably b/c the average music fan knows so much Beatles trivia that you keep thinking there's more to be said about everything.

Even by staying on topic, the movie is 2hrs + the extra 30min of concert at the end. Doesn't feel that long, though. It's a sweet tribute, and a reminder that if they kept touring (basically phoning it in as a boy band since the music wasn't even being heard), we wouldn't have had their later catalog of truly groundbreaking songs. :9: :2:
I wonder is someday there will be a movie like this about Corey Feldman?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
It helps that there's an amazing amount of on-line information about an artist/ group - Wiki, You-Tube, iTunes, etc.... that allows you to listen, see and read about the history of the group and the songs. I find I appreciate the artists better now then ever, even groups I never liked. I recall seeing Metallica on the R&R Hall of Fame 25th Anniv. TV special, and thinking "Jeez, they're really good" and I HATED metal !.

I've recently been listening to Bruce Springsteen, who I never got into when he was popular. Now and after watching assorted concerts, I realized what a fabulous band the E-Street's were, high energy, good music talent, etc.... wishing now I had seen them back when, but not sure I could sit thru a +4 hr. concert now. Not liking all he wrote, but better recognizing the talent now that I can research some of the history. It also helps that as I'm hard of hearing and have been so for decades, I can read the friggin lyrics on a lyric server.

I went thru the same thing with the Eagles when the HBO (or somebody's) documentary came out a few years ago.

Will have to catch this Ron Howard film as I still love the Beatles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This film is well worth seeing. It is well done with good interviews and some fantastic footage, some of which was never seen previously.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Never was a Beatles fan. Never will be. Never liked their style of music, early, middle, or late.
I was a big Stones and Kinks fan. I've always liked my music a little rough.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
kinks and the beatles have a lot in common.

the stones wore ties and played similar music like the other two for a while.

if you like it dirty, try lennon's plastic ono band.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Never was a Beatles fan. Never will be. Never liked their style of music, early, middle, or late.
I was a big Stones and Kinks fan. I've always liked my music a little rough.
Like Ike and Tina?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turns out this film was 13 years or so in the making. They basically went looking for as much archival and fan footage as they could find, and Howard wrote the film around it.

The level of fame they enjoyed is such a contrast to their modesty about it. They never forgot their roots, and approached their work with the same sincerity as when they were in the clubs as teenagers.

Paul is very forthcoming about how he writes, it started as a pop formula that worked, but then they changed it up rather than coast on the money machine as "mop tops."

I like the Stones too, but they don't resonate with me emotionally like The Beatles. The Who has an emotional effect as well, but I can't explain :rolleyes: why that is.

Though Gimme Shelter has that ass-kicking back-up singer that brings it to another level (another amazing documentary- 20 Feet from Stardom- features the work of back-up singers.)

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That seems quick, but maybe more profitable that way? It's not a big-ass Hollywood thing (doesn't meet the minimum required number of explosions.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts