Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This frame was purchased at a garage sale. I liked the frame from the start, but didn't know what it was until I did some research.

It is undoubtedly a frame made by Albert Eisentraut. From the serial number stamped on the bottom bracket, it was probably made in 1979, but other than that I know little except it appears to have been re-painted and all of the parts were cannibalized.

I can't find any live links to Eisentraut today and assume he is retired.

Maybe some of you have some suggestions as to how I would go about restoring this.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
nice... all I've seen were pretty simple, single color paint w/ dt (& tubing) decals. you'll prob have to make your own

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
You got a gem there. What size is it? Looks like about a 57cm.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
With antiques roadshow and everybody scouring the attic for rare finds, classic steel bikes like this one are one of the few hidden gems remaining-I think period correct components or nice alloy modern components would do it justice, but you would probably have to spread the rear to do that. Have you measured the dropouts, that will help determine what you can do Any reputable cycle painter can paint it in the Eisentraut style if you want to put the bucks in it-would make an elegant fixed gear too

b21

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Despite my having done so to a Dave Moulton Fuso, some frames shouldn't be converted to fixed. My opinion is that this is one of them.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Congrats. I think that bike deserves a period-correct restoration with bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

I think I like RCNUTE's advice:

In my search for Albert Eisentraut, I was able to find Jason Pierce with the Oakland Yellow Jackets Bicycle club. He was a great help to me and lead me to Ed Litton who is a frame painter in Richmond, CA (outside of Oakland). Ed was a former partner with Eisentraut and is still in contact with him.

Ed will take my frame and put it back into proper condition and is able to get Eisentraut labels directly from Albert.

Albert is pretty much out of frame building and is currently producing high quality wines and pursuing a second Doctorate degree.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts