·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 choices;

Volant - Alloy Clincher Wheelsets - ROL Bicycle Wheels - ROL Wheels
or
Williams System 30 (24/28) Alloy Road Wheels

myself.. about 200lbs.. riding hilly terrain.. some good flats with cross winds.. usually smootish pavement.. price varies about 100$ weighs close enough (both around 1650grms) both also lighter than whats on the bike stock by a little less than a half pound .. so im aware no HUGE benefits on the hills.. but some.. and maybe feel some aero if at all which would be nice

so what do you guys think?? either or both of these a stinker or just go with the less $$$ model since its splitting hairs?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
They're both very good wheel sets from excellent companies. I've owned ROL d'Huez wheels and had exceptional customer service from ROL when I needed to have a wheel rebuilt after a crash.

Since they have similar builds, I'd probably choose the Williams wheels since they're 110 grams lighter.

Whether either is an improvement over your present wheels is open to debate.

What wheels do you presently have?

FWIW, I have a set of Campagnolo Nucleon wheels that I'm going to sell in the near future. They might be your best alternative if you ride a Campy groupset.

Campagnolo Nucleon Clincher wheelsets - clincher Reviews

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
How about both.............
This has been discussed before. Search is your friend. Or, buy both and see.

as for the answer,
I would lean you towards the Williams. I have a pair and love them. the cust service is great. The System 30 is a bit lighter and a bit deeper (areo).

However, the Rol wheels have the 23 mm rim width. So, they could be more areo.......hummm. Then, theres the increase in contact area from the wider rim.

So, no real answer really..................

If you get the Rol's you get to say, "I roll with Rols because that's how I roll"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe i misread but it seems the williams weight is without the skewers (108 grms since they list such a weight in their specs i assumed the wheel weight is without skewers) which makes em 2grams difference...

what i presently have is whats stock on a devinci silverstone sl2 2011 edition.. Alex rims.. formula hubs.. 32 spokes .. little under 1900 grams total (skewers, rim tape no cassette or tires nor tubes, weighed by myself on a digital kitchen scale) 1887 if memory serves right..

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. Toss a coin and buy one.

There will be a laundry list of alternatives to follow.

Keep it simple, and stick to your plan. There's no magic wheel, and you still have to pedal.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. Toss a coin and buy one.

There will be a laundry list of alternatives to follow.

Keep it simple, and stick to your plan. There's no magic wheel, and you still have to pedal.
Not with Zipps. The way people talk about them, you'd think they have their own engine built in.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
200 pounds not including bike and gear? I'm not too hip on 24/20 spoke counts for that kind of weight, it will lead to a shorter wheelset life. Why not look into the Rol Volant R/T? Basically the same wheel your looking at except it has 28/24 spokes and weighs only 55 more grams or about 27.5 grams less per wheel...that difference is nothing, you will never notice it, but you will notice the increase strength, durability, and less truing.

For the price I think the Rol is the better choice of the two you listed.

By the way, if you look at the Williams website they mention the rider weight limit, go look at their 24/20 spoke set and read what their weight limit is...you exceed it! Just as you will exceed the Rol with the same 24/20 set up. Now look at the Williams wheel set you referenced to, it's a 28/24 with a 215 pound limit. Personally I would find a wheel set with at least 32/28 because at 215 pound limit you actually do exceed that by a small amount if you consider the weight of your bike and gear. That means you will have just a marginal wheel set that could be prone to problems. But you do what you want.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Suggest you check out the new 2014 22mm wide Neuvation wheels. They've made some nice changes...they have models with welded rims, Sapim spokes, updated hubs...

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I would second Froze's comment. I have a 24/20 set from Roval (Specialized) and I keep breaking spokes at 175 lbs rider weight plus about 15 pounds bike weight despite a supposed weight limit of 240.

I am getting a custom set built up at 24/28.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.