Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas what causes elbow joint pain? On a short ride last week, maybe 20 miles, I spent most of the time with my hands on the brake/shifter rubber covers with my arms slightly bent at the elbows. After some time I'd have to go straight arm and and then move my hands to the center of the bar just next to the step to give my elbows some relief.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I don't know what to do about it, but isn't tennis elbow caused mostly by vibration? Perhaps that's your problem too.

Lower tire pressure, carbon bars or fork, more padded gloves or bar tape might help a little.

I don't know if this would cause the problem, but are you gripping the bars/hoods tightly? A looser grip most of the time might help.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
May not be bike-related, either.

bikeboy's suggestions seem good to me, but don't overlook the possibility that it's not bike-related at all. When I was building a deck last summer, I had pretty bad wrist pain when I was riding, but none any other time. I changed gloves, position, everything. Finally it dawned on me that it might be the hammering, and I started using my left hand with the hammer and screw gun. It took awhile to get good at it, but the wrist pain cleared up.
Meanwhile, you might try ibuprofen or aspirin (better than Tylenol, which doesn't have an anti-inflammatory action) at close to the maximum dose to see if it helps. Continue for a few days even if the pain goes away (that's what my doctor told me...).

·
me rikey to bikey
60 Posts
Bridlemile,
does it feel like you're funny bone is getting hit? That's the sort of pain that I have in my elbows.

Bike was professionally fit, but we've since shortened the stem, moved the seat forward and up.
It's frustrating, but I just keep tweaking different things that might work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts