Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The search engine here for electric bikes turned up no results. Reviews and advice on such are pretty much what I joined the site for. I need a powerful fast long range throttle (pedal optional) ebike as a major commuting vehicle, i get all the excercise I need after I get to work, thanks. All of the sites i've visited (a lot) are manufacturers, the non-sponsored reviews are old and there aren't that many. Anybody have a favorite bike or website they want to direct me to? Thanks bunches. :)

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
ArcataCA said:
The search engine here for electric bikes turned up no results. Reviews and advice on such are pretty much what I joined the site for. I need a powerful fast long range throttle (pedal optional) ebike as a major commuting vehicle, i get all the excercise I need after I get to work, thanks. All of the sites i've visited (a lot) are manufacturers, the non-sponsored reviews are old and there aren't that many. Anybody have a favorite bike or website they want to direct me to? Thanks bunches. :)
Why not just get a scooter? Not much more $$ and faster. The el bikes I've seen have been expensive and slow. I could ride a normal bike faster than they go. The one guy who was selling el bikes in town used to ride one on the cruiser ride we have al the time. It broke down and he had to junk it because it was going to cost something like $1000 to fix. Doh!

· Registered
33 Posts
Totally OT, but for some reason, I read "electric bike" and the image image that popped in my head was the Simpons Episode where Bart Simpson is riding on his BMX bike at night pedaling furiously until he engaged the generator for the headlight and came to a crawl as he tried to overcome the resistence.

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
I'm much more of an acoustic bike man, myself.

I'm with BJIII--all the electrics I've seen are true triple-threats: expensive, slow and with a short range.

I think the choice is really between human-powered and internal combustion at this point. The electric options for 2-wheels are really limited right now. You could try a Segway, I suppose.

I have a friend who's building an electric motorcycle for a commuter vehicle, but it's turning out to be expensive, even with a donor frame and running gear from a bike he got for practically nothing. Suitable motors and gearboxes are expensive and batteries are heavy.

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Ditto to what others have said. Why electric? Especially since it sounds like you want power and need range ("major" commuting). A scooter or even a cheap aging moped will do the job better, and potentially even for less.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Let's think about what you want.

ArcataCA said:
#1) If it is "Pedal Optional" it is not considered a bicycle, it is a motor vehicle. To be considered an electric assisted bicycle there must be some sort of cutout that stops the motor when the pedals are not moving. Laws vary from state to state but manufacturers are going to build their products to meet the most restrictive regulations so they can sell the same product everywhere.

#2) To be "Powerful and Fast" it is not considered a bicycle, it is a motor vehicle. To be considered an electric assisted bicycle there must be some sort of cutout that stops the motor when the bicycle speed hits around 18mph. Laws vary from state to state but manufacturers are going to build their products to meet the most restrictive regulations so they can sell the same product everywhere.

#3) Manufacturers do not offer long time support for their electric assist bicycles. They come and go (once they figure out that many folks think they want one but so few folks buy them) leaving the few customers that actually bought the things in the lurch for service, support and parts.

#4) Right now in the US your best choices are to get a good bike or a cheap motor vehicle (if you are not doing this because your drivers license was suspended).

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently my title was more appropriate than even I suspected. About two years ago my little fuel efficient car had an electrical prob and since I'm a hard working low income person (with a perfect driving record BTW) I had to immediately find a second way to go to work which turned out to be walking a mile through my semi-rural area to the bus stop, and riding our underfunded bus system that has a limited route and about forty min or more in between buses. A new acquantaince had an old Curry ebike that he let me borrow just one day, I had just caught a cold and felt like hell, and the ebike took me over 13 miles of level ground without pedaling at all before konking out completely, whence I pushed it the last three blocks to work, -no big deal fortunately. It was also just "fun" to ride. I used to ride my Schwinn hybrid to work five years ago a third of the distance along the same route, I was in great condition, and I was thrashed and sweaty and exhausted by the end of the week.
An Ebike in CA can have a top speed of 18-20 before it's a moped. A gas powered bike is a "motorcycle" according to the DMV. Nothing but a legal "Ebike" can travel in the bike lane or the rural road and paths I have to use, unless it's sly enough to not be noticed or given a blind eye by the cops (which they sometimes do if you are polite and apologetic). The gas engines are very loud unless really expensive and they stink like hell. Ebikes are quiet, I can recharge it at work for free. And I can learn how to work on it myself, something that sounds really intrigueing since I'd like to give the finger to the oil companies, my car mechanic, and any other capitalist vampire. Thanks for nothin'.

· Registered
150 Posts
People love hybrids and seem to had ebikes

Looks like you have it on an interest contradiction in views. If you ask a lot of people on this site they will be reasonable positive about hybrid cars even though their actual efficiency and green credentials are still highly debatable.

On the other hand assisted bike seem to be the ugly step sister. Possibly you have chosen the wrong site for this post. If you haven't gathered yet most people here tent to be or want to be hard core roadies.

I suspect you may get a different response if you post to this to the commuter forum.

For what it is worth I have seen a number of electric bikes in Canberra. No specific brands to note. From what I gather they tend to be relatively expensive $AU1500-2000 for a commuter. Generally people looking to spend that type of money will get a second hand scooter or buy more serious road/mt/hybrid bike. Unless you are a roadie 1500 is a cheep scooter or car for most people.

Good luck. You should let the forum know how you go. You can either set the record straight or confirm everyone's apparent suspicions that they really are the ugly step sisters to recumbent bikes.

Chris

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Missing link.

Thanks for nothin'
I think you're missing something important here. Almost all people contributing to this forum link their interest in bicycles strongly to the challenge and enjoyment of using their bodies to make them go. Electric or gas-powered bikes break that link, so perhaps that's why your questions didn't get the answers you feel they deserved.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
So you want to be a throttle twister.

ArcataCA said:
Nothing but a legal "Ebike" can travel in the bike lane or the rural road and paths I have to use, unless it's sly enough to not be noticed or given a blind eye by the cops........ Thanks for nothin'.
But you came to a BICYCLE forum looking for advice on how to get around the laws that keep motor vehicles off of trails and lanes that were built SPECIFICALLY for non-motorized use.

Then you break out an attitude when we bicyclists give you honest answers.

Great.

I wish you the worst of luck in your endevor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.