Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster here.
Today I was coming back from a 30 mile ride. Mile 14 has a huge hill and this was my 4th day in a row of riding...it was a recovery ride. But still I was going all out at times and at this flat I was pushing hard.
Meanwhile this guy in long khaki shorts, t-shirt, aND wearing a backpack just zooms past me on my left. "Good morning", he says smiling. No heavy breathing he had a relaxed conversational voice. The guy was at least 250 with beer gut and fat, non muscular legs. He wasted me. As I saw him down the road his cadence was easily half of mine yet he wasn't breaking a swaet. It looked like a crossover. Electric bike or am I out of shape?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
Could well be either or both. I see gas and electric mopeds on the trails sometimes.

Could also be because you were gassed from consecutive days riding and were in the middle of a ride, and he was out for his one and only time that week and that hill was the beginning of his workout for the day.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,796 Posts
Maybe it was a retired professional cyclist, who let himself go a bit, yet still maintained a strong base and stamina :)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I remember my riding buddy an told me a story back in the day when we were fit racers. He went for a ride with his brother in law, and out of shape formerly very good amateur hockey player. My buddy was amazed at how well the guy could accelerate the bike. But of course the guy was fresh and my riding buddy was sometimes over trained.

ebikes will do that too, yes. years ago I had one I used to ride for errands. One time I went out where the locals do their time trial. Well my ebike cruised at 45kph and they did not.

·
Registered
921 Posts
It happens to all soon or late.

4 years ago a fatso german tourist,started chasing his wheel like " cmon fatso,show me what you got". He just turned his head,glanced at me and pedaled away,I've just lost him,no way I could keep up with him,he was just gone. Humiliating. He was so fat his bike looked like an umbrella shoved up an elephant's ass. Ex racer for sure,I was 38 and top shape coming from mountainbike,he was at least 50.

·
Registered
396 Posts
First time poster here.
Today I was coming back from a 30 mile ride. Mile 14 has a huge hill and this was my 4th day in a row of riding...it was a recovery ride. But still I was going all out at times and at this flat I was pushing hard.
Meanwhile this guy in long khaki shorts, t-shirt, aND wearing a backpack just zooms past me on my left. "Good morning", he says smiling. No heavy breathing he had a relaxed conversational voice. The guy was at least 250 with beer gut and fat, non muscular legs. He wasted me. As I saw him down the road his cadence was easily half of mine yet he wasn't breaking a swaet. It looked like a crossover. Electric bike or am I out of shape?
Reminds me of the weekend I picked up my current bike. I went for a ride from a friend's house, checking out a MUT. I winded myself from missing the entrance and doing a big climb, by the time I hit the MUT, I had done 8 miles and a decent climb. I was cruising along on the MUT at a comfortable 10-12 mph pace when someone with an obvious beer gut pedaling a SS or fixed gear passes me with arms crossed sitting upright as if I was standing still. His cadence was also not very high.

I haven't been back to that MUT since, but I hope I can at least keep up or not get dropped so hard now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
It's an electric bike. I see them all the time -- passing me -- on the bike path. Look for a motorized (over sized) hub on the front or back wheel. They're easy to spot. It's always some person wearing street clothes and flip flops. I'm frankly annoyed by this since motorized vehicles are not allowed on the bike path. They look like a bike and aren't noisy, so no one notices.

I was at my LBS last week. They have maybe 20 of these things on the floor. There's a guy in line with his ebike waiting for the mechanic. I ask him how he likes it. He said -- "it's great, I can get to work in DC in 40 minutes (takes me an hour) and I get my exercise". He probably brags to everyone that he bikes to work every day from Vienna. What a stud.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
It's an electric bike. I see them all the time -- passing me -- on the bike path. Look for a motorized (over sized) hub on the front or back wheel. They're easy to spot. It's always some person wearing street clothes and flip flops. I'm frankly annoyed by this since motorized vehicles are not allowed on the bike path. They look like a bike and aren't noisy, so no one notices.

I was at my LBS last week. They have maybe 20 of these things on the floor. There's a guy in line with his ebike waiting for the mechanic. I ask him how he likes it. He said -- "it's great, I can get to work in DC in 40 minutes (takes me an hour) and I get my exercise". He probably brags to everyone that he bikes to work every day from Vienna. What a stud.
There are a couple guys who regularly ride the MUT around here on gas-recumbent mopeds. Drives me nuts. Underside of the 'bent looks like it has a leaf-blower attached to it.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
There are a couple guys who regularly ride the MUT around here on gas-recumbent mopeds. Drives me nuts. Underside of the 'bent looks like it has a leaf-blower attached to it.
I'd probably throw my water bottle at someone doing that.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
I'd probably throw my water bottle at someone doing that.
They look like regular-ish bents....but they're basically mopeds. And they sound like gas-powered leaf blowers too.

ofc the MUT is clearly labeled "no motorized vehicles"...not that it stops them or any other motorized scooter. Hell some people have started running golf carts down the MUT as a taxi-service on football home game days.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Could be a person with better fitness than you, could be an e-bike. The fact that it bothers you is interesting.

I've passed and been passed in numerous situations where it surprised someone. I once rented a bike in Boulder. It was a bottom-end aluminum bike, but it fit great. I remember catching some guy on at high-end bike and a team kit. When I rolled up next to him at the light, he kept looking at my bike in disbelief. A couple of years later, I was again visiting in Boulder when two guys passed me so fast, I thought they were on motorcycles. The worst part was that I thought I was moving, and they made it look like I was standing still. There will always be some person that is better/faster than you. Even if they don't look the part. You have to accept it.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Had that same experience a week or so ago, trying to hammer into a 15-20 headwind. Guy on a hybrid cruises by me about 3-5 mph faster. Pedaling like a 20 bpm cadence. That was one clue. The second was when he pulled off onto the grass and coasted---for like 100 yards without slowing down. :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There a pics from a local 24 hour ride, where the local teams treat it as a race. A bank that sponsored the ride, had a cruiser bike in their advertisements. One of the guys took the cruiser out and rode a lap with the fast guys. It was humorous to see five guys in a paceline and the sixth guy motoring along on a cruiser! I guess it truly is about the engine(s)...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Could be a person with better fitness than you, could be an e-bike. The fact that it bothers you is interesting.

I've passed and been passed in numerous situations where it surprised someone. I once rented a bike in Boulder. It was a bottom-end aluminum bike, but it fit great. I remember catching some guy on at high-end bike and a team kit. When I rolled up next to him at the light, he kept looking at my bike in disbelief. A couple of years later, I was again visiting in Boulder when two guys passed me so fast, I thought they were on motorcycles. The worst part was that I thought I was moving, and they made it look like I was standing still. There will always be some person that is better/faster than you. Even if they don't look the part. You have to accept it.
I agree. Ride your ride and don't worry about others and what they are doing.

OP never said how fast he was going anyways. What does "all out" or "pushing hard" mean.

This person could have been just starting his ride. That would explain him not sweating or gasping for air. Just because a person doesn't dress how you think they should to be legit or is pushing 250 lbs., doesn't mean you should dismiss them.

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
I just look at the rear hub, usually easy to tell. I did pass one on PCH this weekend

1 - 19 of 19 Posts