Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting my 10 year old an electric guitar for his b-day if he keeps at his current lessons/practice. Added bonus is that I'll be able to play it as well so kinda like a present for me also! ;) What would you recommend looking for in terms of features and such? Amps? I saw a pretty cool white Fender Strat that wasn't all that expensive and it was hooked up to this little mini-Crate amp that sounded pretty darn good. Anything I should stay away from? What kind of price range will I need to be in to get a decent setup?

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I'm planning on getting my 10 year old an electric guitar for his b-day if he keeps at his current lessons/practice. Added bonus is that I'll be able to play it as well so kinda like a present for me also! ;) What would you recommend looking for in terms of features and such? Amps? I saw a pretty cool white Fender Strat that wasn't all that expensive and it was hooked up to this little mini-Crate amp that sounded pretty darn good. Anything I should stay away from? What kind of price range will I need to be in to get a decent setup?
You can't go wrong with a Fender, but if you want to spend less money, look at a Squier Strat. Squier is a cheaper version of Fender, kind of how Epiphones are cheaper Gibsons. I got a Squier as my first guitar. It's not bad, but it cannot compare to a real Fender or my Gibson. The overall quality just isn't there. I've also had a bunch of problems with little things like volume knobs, etc. They're cheap, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.squierguitars.com/

See, they're cheap...
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fender-Squi...391259638QQcategoryZ47070QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of course you could spend more and get something nicer, but if your son is going to throw it around and smash it to bits, why waste the money?

You can get a small practice amp for $150, give or take. Something around 15 W should be good enough for practice.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would recommend a Fender Mini Squier Strat. You can get them for about $100. It is definitely worth the money. Sounds good and perfect for kids. This place has them on sale in red or black.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just realized that the eBay one is full size. I actually have a full size as well that I have had for many years. Athough I don't play it a whole lot I have been happy with it. I did have a problem with the electronics that I had repaired, but it only cost $8 to fix.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
il sogno said:
I agree. BJ, get him this one.
Does the "mini" mean smaller size?

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
whit417 said:
I would recommend a Fender Mini Squier Strat. You can get them for about $100. It is definitely worth the money. Sounds good and perfect for kids. This place has them on sale in red or black.
Oh yeah, he's 10. I guess a mini guitar would be fine. I'd go with that mini Squier. Get a real Fender for yourself.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
BJ, when it comes to entry level instruments I think it's important to get one that has decent enough tuners so it will hold pitch once it's tuned. You can get kid sized instruments that will BJIII at least for the next couple of years. By that time you will know if he is serious enough about playing to warrant getting him better instument. $100 - $150 bucks should get you a pretty good kid sized instrument.

As far as getting an amp goes, be careful of what you get. Go for tiny voltage - maybe 10 watts or less. Once BJIII starts to turn the thing up you'll be glad you got a low voltage amp.

And do NOT have BJ Jr. use headphones while playing through the amp. They will ruin his hearing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The one on eBay is $126 + $24 shipping and handling, and that's if no one else bids. The one I listed is on sale for $99 plus free shipping. Also, you can return it if necessary. We've had one for about a year and a half and haven't had any problems.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
whit417 said:
I agree. BJ, get him this one.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
il sogno said:
BJ, when it comes to entry level instruments I think it's important to get one that has decent enough tuners so it will hold pitch once it's tuned. You can get kid sized instruments that will BJIII at least for the next couple of years. By that time you will know if he is serious enough about playing to warrant getting him better instument. $100 - $150 bucks should get you a pretty good kid sized instrument.

As far as getting an amp goes, be careful of what you get. Go for tiny voltage - maybe 10 watts or less. Once BJIII starts to turn the thing up you'll be glad you got a low voltage amp.

And do NOT have BJ Jr. use headphones while playing through the amp. They will ruin his hearing.
Soundproof the garage as good as you can and the both of you can let it rip big time on some serious amps. :D :D :D

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rogger said:
Soundproof the garage as good as you can and the both of you can let it rip big time on some serious amps. :D :D :D
Yeah the one I tried was about a foot square--didn't turn it up because we were in the store, but it sounded nice at normal volume

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
My first electric guitar was a 1965 Fender Mustang, which is known as a 3/4 scale guitar. That's not a bad place to start for a kid, because of their smaller hands.

My only advice is don't buy one of the el cheapo guitars where the strings are so high off the neck, it's difficult to play. And the intonation is awful.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
mohair_chair said:
My first electric guitar was a 1965 Fender Mustang, which is known as a 3/4 scale guitar. That's not a bad place to start for a kid, because of their smaller hands.

My only advice is don't buy one of the el cheapo guitars where the strings are so high off the neck, it's difficult to play. And the intonation is awful.
Yeah, good point. BJ, you should ask if the store will do a setup on the instrument. Just enough to make sure the strings are set to a comfortable height and there's no fret buzz.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Oh, and another thing. Tuning the instrument. I am an advocate of tuning by ear. I use a tuning fork to get the pitch for the A. I go from there, tuning by ear using harmonics, listening to fifths and octaves.

I believe that tuning by ear will make for a better player. It's important to develop a musical ear and tuning by ear forces you to listen to your instrument and the sounds it makes - and you learn to listen carefully.

That said, considering he's only 10 years old it's prolly okay to get an electronic tuner for BJ jr. I just believe that at some point all musicians should learn to tune by ear. :)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
This is one thing I see people do all the time

mohair_chair said:

Buy a el chepo for their kid thats super hard to play and sounds awful the kid gets discouraged. I'd say the bigest thing I would look for is playabilty and a bit of good tone. That way it will be something you kids wants to play and can grow with him a bit. A fender of some type seems to be the best bet, ahh back in the day you could find a good used strat that was not a millions bucks.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
All seriousness

Actually, you can get this Epiphone for about $250, if that's not too high. I'd say it's reasonable, considering you';ll be playing it too. It's good quality, and you can get it in red so he can be your little Angus. AC/DC tunes is probably what he'll be learning anyway.
The Crate sounds goos. I've had a coupl, and they sound fine and are indestructable. Get a cheapie pedal to create some fuzz if it doesn't already have a semi nice gain control on it.
Oh, and rock out

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Don't forget the "No Stairway" rule.

:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts