Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to remove the rear brake on my Langster and reroute the front cable. The current tape is new, but the black tape used by the LBS to finish the wrap at the stem is slipping, leaving a sticky bit. I am wondering, do I just get regular electrical tape to finish off my wrap job, and there is a technique to avoid this? Or is there a better answer than electrical tape? I had thought about getting some black cloth bar tape. More expensive, but not a big deal, and I would have plenty left over for other projects.
Comments?

Gordon

·
when is it obsession?
374 Posts
I use electrical tape... get the thicker kind that stretches flat...

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Rear brakes

I don't know much of anything about anything. But I know I like my rear brake. Why are you taking it off?

·
Commuter
1,106 Posts
Argentius said:
I don't know much of anything about anything. But I know I like my rear brake. Why are you taking it off?
He's riding a Langster, so the rear brake issue has to be looked at from a fixed bike matter.

Some fixie riders feel a rear brake is not necessary since a rider can use his/her legs to slow the rear and the front caliper only since it provides the marjority of stopping power anyways.

Personally, I prefer a rear brake just to have the option of giving my knees a break. A rear brake is nice for long downhills too. I was thinking about rigging a drag brake for the rear that's controlled by an old thumbie shifter that I can mount on the stem. I never got around to it though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cerddwyr said:
I am getting ready to remove the rear brake on my Langster and reroute the front cable. The current tape is new, but the black tape used by the LBS to finish the wrap at the stem is slipping, leaving a sticky bit. I am wondering, do I just get regular electrical tape to finish off my wrap job, and there is a technique to avoid this? Or is there a better answer than electrical tape? I had thought about getting some black cloth bar tape. More expensive, but not a big deal, and I would have plenty left over for other projects.
Comments?

Gordon
If you can find black cloth tape, go for it. If find that electrical tape doesn't hold, especially of you stretch it while you wind it. It just tries to unwind, leaving a sticky trail on itself.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Careful Finish

Cerddwyr said:
...but the black tape used by the LBS to finish the wrap at the stem is slipping, leaving a sticky bit. I am wondering, do I just get regular electrical tape to finish off my wrap job, and there is a technique to avoid this?...
Regular electrical tape works great. The trick is in how you finish the wrap. A couple of wraps around the bar pulling tight to hold the handlebar tape in place. Then as you finish make the final wrap looser, i.e. gripping tight, not stretching tight. Use scissors to cut the electrical tape rather than stretching it until it breaks. Make the cut so the end of the wrap is on the bottom of the bar.

When the final wrap of the tape gets stretched and then stuck down it slowly pulls back to its original length, leaving that sticky residue.

If you want the fancy finish tape that comes with your bar tape you can make an initial wrap with electrical tape and then apply the fancy finish tape over the top.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Keep your thumbs off the sticky side of the electrical tape.

P-Quoddy said:
If you can find black cloth tape, go for it. If find that electrical tape doesn't hold, especially of you stretch it while you wind it. It just tries to unwind, leaving a sticky trail on itself.
I find thumbprints really hurt the sticking power. I also find that if I stretch the tape too much it starts to come off.

If this is a really big problem, try putting two sided tape under the handle bar tape for the last inch or two and trim the handlebar tape neatly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check the Park Tool site for tips (including the use of electrical tape).

Electrical tape comes in many colors (if you care) and qualities. 3M makes good stuff that doesn't leave the sticky residue if you put it on wrong.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sealing electrical tape...

Electrical tape is designed to be heat sealed. Heat the end of a paper clip or metal screwdriver with a flame (hold it with a pliers for safety). When hot, touch it to the CUT END of the tape and the tape layer directly beneath it. This burning effect melds the two and effectively seals the tape.I learned this from an electrician who was doing this in my attic. I've never had a bar unwrap and I've had to use a lot less elecrical tape.

Stretching the tape excessively is NOT a good idea. It is designed with some elastic recoil. So, when stretched, it tends to revert to its pre-stretched length, which causes unraveling.

Seal it as I mentioned and you'll be happy. It is not a cosmetic problem as black is ugly anyway, and this method leaves no burn marks whatsoever. If it burns too much, just do it again more carefully for the cost of the strip of tape (around 1 cent).

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Yeah, I ride a fixie too, though I'm new at it. Maybe it's different if you life in a "vertically challenged" area, but for me it'd be pretty sketchy without one to help stabilize me on braking from speed downhill, especially in traffic.

Plus I think my brakes are pretty (thanks, Dean.)! I'm all for the 'symmetry' of two levers on the front and stuff.

·
Commuter
1,106 Posts
The heat seal is a great tip.

Just one note. If you care about aesthetics, end the tape and seal it on the bottom side of your bars so you don't see the heat seal.

·
Commuter
1,106 Posts
Argentius said:
Yeah, I ride a fixie too, though I'm new at it. Maybe it's different if you life in a "vertically challenged" area, but for me it'd be pretty sketchy without one to help stabilize me on braking from speed downhill, especially in traffic...
Descending on a front brake only fixie is sketchy, and I've ridden fixie on an off over the years to be experienced but still find it raisings my blood pressure ;)

This thread has made me want to rig up my drag brake idea.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Has anyone tried this?

In my messing around with electronics I've noticed that heat shrink tubing covers a multitude of sins. From looking through catalogs I have found it is possible to get heat shrink in diameters greater than 1" - it seems like this would be nice to use for a neat, non-gummy termination to a handlebar wrap. Of course, you would need to put a couple short lengths on the bars prior to mounting the brake levers. I would try it but haven't found a convenient source for small quantities of the large diameter tubing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wanna try it?

I've thought about doing that too. I was going to check it out on my next rewrap, but that's not happening soon. Only drawback I could think of was the sort of rough edges the shrink wrap would leave; could be a little irritating.

Anyway, if you want to test it, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you some. I've got some left from a light battery building project that I'm pretty sure shrinks down to 1". It's kind of clear/translucent like.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Electrical tape is fine

Cerddwyr said:
Iis there a better answer than electrical tape? I had thought about getting some black cloth bar tape. More expensive, but not a big deal, and I would have plenty left over for other projects.
Comments?
Gordon
and you can get various colors in the PAINT Depts for accenting various bar-tapes...and it comes in the cloth style too. Not expensive and is available in 1/2" & 1" widths

·
Registered
408 Posts
alibi said:
Only drawback I could think of was the sort of rough edges the shrink wrap would leave; could be a little irritating.
QUOTE]

Well that, and having to remove the brifters to load the the shrink tube section.

·
Registered
307 Posts
rusa1586 said:
I find thumbprints really hurt the sticking power. I also find that if I stretch the tape too much it starts to come off.

If this is a really big problem, try putting two sided tape under the handle bar tape for the last inch or two and trim the handlebar tape neatly.
Actually, one good use for electrical tape is for under handlebar tape.
To start, I wrap electrical tape, sticky side OUT, in a very widely spaced layer. I then apply the bar tape over this. The bar tape won't slip or wrinkle. The negative is that after a couple rides, it's really fused to the tape,so when you unwrap it, it tears and sticks to itself. You can't reuse the tape.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts