Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's assume I'm going on a 2 hour ride, go through 1 bottle per hour, and only going to put electrolytes in one water bottle. Should I put it in my first bottle so they're absorbing by the time I need them, or in the second bottle when I do need them? I'm not sure how fast they absorb.

Or should I put a lower dose in each bottle? I use the Nuun tabs that are 1 tablet per 16oz so I usually do 1.5 tabs in each bottle on 3+ hour rides or 2 tabs in one bottle on 2 hour rides, and nothing in rides shorter than 2 hours.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Let's assume I'm going on a 2 hour ride, go through 1 bottle per hour, and only going to put electrolytes in one water bottle. Should I put it in my first bottle so they're absorbing by the time I need them, or in the second bottle when I do need them? I'm not sure how fast they absorb.

Or should I put a lower dose in each bottle? I use the Nuun tabs that are 1 tablet per 16oz so I usually do 1.5 tabs in each bottle on 3+ hour rides or 2 tabs in one bottle on 2 hour rides, and nothing in rides shorter than 2 hours.
not sure why you cannot alternate between them on the ride?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I use electrolytes/gatorade-type stuff in my first bottle, frozen water in the second. By the time the first is done, and being absorbed, I can go on to the refreshing 2nd bottle (at least the first part of it).

·
Registered
756 Posts
I usually put Gatorade in my first bottle and water in my second. I drink the Gatorade first then the water. This way I can spray water on my head and body when it gets hotter later on in the ride.

If it's a longer group ride and we do a convenience store stop, I'll buy a Gatorade to refill the first bottle if I feel like I want more. Otherwise I might just rinse it out and refill with water. Depends on how I feel and how hard the rest of the ride will be.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Because that would require a bit of common sense?

Anyway, the best answer regardless.
Hey, don't be so hard on the beave. :p
I use only about a tablespoon of gatorade powder in each bottle; just enough to give it a little taste. A canister lasts me an entire year.
Yeah, I lose the ability to splash water on myself, but then again I plan my rides to avoid the heat of the day.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Even when it's 100° on a 2 hour ride I only bring water,one bottle that is.
This. Even in Indiana humidity. If I'm riding longer than two hours, ill bring a second bottle or normally stop at a McDonald's or gas station and refill my bottle with something cold.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Short answer: you don't need nutrition on a two hour ride.
agree mostly.. I'll have some chews at most. But water/electrolytes I need if I am riding hard, atleast 1 bottle. Sure I can make it without but then I pay the price after = no thanks.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I put electrolytes in any bottle I put calories in and that's all of them unless its under an hour then its just water.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
I hope you're making an observation, and not offering that as advice.
I was joking. I always carry more water than I think I'll need just in case. I suspect some of these folks are exaggerating on their claims of temperature and water usage. I think I went through 4 bottles today on a 2.5 hour ride on a hot/humid day

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I just feel its important to first stay hydrated and second to consume some calories. I get by with water , dried nuts and fruit. Of course Brondo makes the plants grow.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Same here, I use electrolytes only on 4+ hour rides.
Same as you guys... I use just water and just one bottle until about 2 hours. That's my cut off. 2 bottles and gel over 2 hours. I can stop if I need to. I did have a bottle jump out of my old cage and het nailed by a car once. I was left dry on a hot day. I learned the carry money lesson that day.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts