Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Generic powder mix?

I use a generic powder isotonic mix that i take in pre-measured doses in bags to mix with water and fill my bottle. I think the key point is to drink a little quite often and not wait till you feel thirsty. I have also recently bought little sachets of magnesium powder that are supposed to prevent cramps, but havent tried them on rides yet, as i havent done my "big" ride yet this year (which is round lake geneva in switzerland about 180 kms)
I hope that helps but i have no idea about products else-where than france-switzerland.
Recently i have just been doing mountain passes cause theyre nearby and don't take me away too long from my kids.
A+,
Robin

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
Na & K

arieshaked said:
Can you smart people teach me more about electrolytes and long rides. Any preferd product or ways to keep the pottasium and sodium levels where they should be on a long ride.
Regular readers know that I'm into food, not supplements. What has worked very well for me is to add equal portions of table salt (sodium chloride) and salt supplement (potassium chloride) to my food bag. For energy, I eat fig bars while riding, and the sweetness of the cookies balances the salty taste pretty well. For me, a long ride (100-120 miles) on a hot day requires about a half teaspoon of each salt type, plus I have salted mixed nuts at the break. I just drink water because I don't like getting the bike all covered with goo from sports drinks. Also, when riding in different weather conditions, I can keep my calorie and hydration requirements separate, drinking less in cold weather while still eating the same amount.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How do you eat the salt?

Kerry, How do you take in the salt? Does it just stick to your fig rolls?
I find the sticky sugar gunk from the sports drink annoying too and would like to drink just water.
Thanks,
Robin

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I use salt and salt supplement as well, about half teaspoons each is plenty, I mix it up with 3 ounces of maltodextrine and just a little syrup and mix with water to fill two 750ml waterbottles. It's cheap and rehydrates a lot better than most commercial formulas.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hammer Endurolytes are a really good product and they have a lot of info on how to use their stuff on their website. You can either get capsules or powder. I like the capsules since it lets me fine tune my intake based on real time conditions. I'm a heavy sweat-er and on a long, hot ride I take anywhere between 2 and 6 per hour. I just keep them in a little baggie in my back pocket and pop one every now and then.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used to experience calf cramps with alarming predictability on a certain route. I'd suffer these awful cramps within about a 3-mile spot on the return trip of ~70-mile rides along this common route. I drink plenty of water (also sweat plenty), even when not riding (like at work and at home--not the sweaty bit, though!), but I hadn't been taking in enough electrolytes, turns out. I then read a review on Pez Cycling News about a drink by First Endurance called E3 (Energy, Endurance, Electrolytes) with a natural flavor that wasn't sticky-sweet and that had some strong science behind it. First Endurance recently did two things: changed the name to EFS (Electolyte Fuel System) and made their already great lemon-lime flavor just a bit tastier/stronger while still remaining light and natural tasting. The tangerine's great, too, and I love drinking this stuff. Believe it or not, on my very first ride on that route with this stuff, I awaited the dreaded cramps but they never showed--haven't experienced them since. Read this article/review; it's got maybe more info than you need, but it's thorough and the product's wonderful, tasty, and works absolutely. Got amino acids and all the great stuff and then some.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3909

Give it a try! Search for it online or go to www.competitivecyclist.com; they sell it at a decent rate. The stuff goes a long way, too.

Enjoy,
Nige

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
GiantNigel said:
I used to experience calf cramps with alarming predictability on a certain route. I'd suffer these awful cramps within about a 3-mile spot on the return trip of ~70-mile rides along this common route. I drink plenty of water (also sweat plenty), even when not riding (like at work and at home--not the sweaty bit, though!), but I hadn't been taking in enough electrolytes, turns out. I then read a review on Pez Cycling News about a drink by First Endurance called E3 (Energy, Endurance, Electrolytes) with a natural flavor that wasn't sticky-sweet and that had some strong science behind it. First Endurance recently did two things: changed the name to EFS (Electolyte Fuel System) and made their already great lemon-lime flavor just a bit tastier/stronger while still remaining light and natural tasting. The tangerine's great, too, and I love drinking this stuff. Believe it or not, on my very first ride on that route with this stuff, I awaited the dreaded cramps but they never showed--haven't experienced them since. Read this article/review; it's got maybe more info than you need, but it's thorough and the product's wonderful, tasty, and works absolutely. Got amino acids and all the great stuff and then some.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3909

Give it a try! Search for it online or go to www.competitivecyclist.com; they sell it at a decent rate. The stuff goes a long way, too.

Enjoy,
Nige
Thing with sportsdrinks is you only want to replenish what you lose during activity and that's water, Sodium and Potassium and some other minerals to a much lesser extent. Magnesium, Amino Acids, Vitamins and the like only muck up the osmolality of the drink making it sit on your stomach. Those aren't lost during exercise, but aren't suppleted sufficiently in the diet, causing problems. What you eat in daily life is much more important than what you drink on the bike, Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc tabs as a supplement to the normal diet should be more effective.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For what my experience is worth, I've never had a single problem with it "osmosing" oddly in my stomach. I go through two to three bottles of it on long rides in the heat, and have never had a single burp because of it. Your mileage may vary, but the drink's made to be pretty light in taste and digestibility--but I've found that it works perfectly and is enjoyable to drink.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Funny you mention this Nige. I just read the article in Pez and thought it sounded right up my alley. I was going to try some. Good to here someone with personal experience likes it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've never tried electrolytes although I do mix one bottle of EmergenC which is a vitamin supplement and one straight water.
I've never cramped yet, but I started riding in the Fall so haven't experienced any real hot days.
I ride with friends that won't go anywhere without taking electrolyte capsules though.
Jury is still out for me...I tend to not like putting stuff into my body like that.unless I know I need it or it will prevent a problem

-Rich

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
Sticking to it

qwertzy said:
Kerry, How do you take in the salt? Does it just stick to your fig rolls?
I find the sticky sugar gunk from the sports drink annoying too and would like to drink just water.
Yes, I put it in a plastic bag with the fig bars, shake things around and the salt sticks to the open ends of the fig bars. I just pull out a couple of fig bars at a time and then put the bag back in my jersey pocket. I find that a fig bar every 20 minutes plus what I eat at the break (about 700 calories) keeps me going fine for very long distances.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with the earlier posts about the problem of sticky sports drinks all over the bike. I have found a possible solution with a product called Enervit GT Sport tablet that you eat as a tablet and it provides the electrolytes without the drink mixes in the water bottle. The few times that I have tried it, it seems to work. The season has not been long enough for a better evaluation though.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
If you work hard enough in warm/hot weather and don't take something to replace electrolytes it's only a matter of time before you cramp or worse.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
Tasty?

bung said:
I was having a problem with cramping and friend suggested that I try V8. a 5.5 oz can has 420mg of Sodium and 320 mg of Potassium. It seems to be working out for me.
Are you talking about drinking this on a ride? Somehow a room temperature can of V8 just doesn't sooth my taste buds :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
These helped me finish the climb to kaiser ride!

percy said:
Hammer Endurolytes ...
I'm in the same category as percy and will use these capsules until I find a product that works better for me.

I sweat profusely and can turn my black arm warmers streaky white with salt. When I taste the sweat coming off my brow, it makes ocean water seem like lake water in comparison. My steel topcap bolts won't last and have to be replaced with ti or stainless... you get the picture.

I only ride flat centuries and when a friend asked me to join him on the climb to kaiser ride (155 miles and over 13,500' of climbing, max altitude 9,200) I was hesitant. I knew cramps would start after 5 hours of climbing and cytomax would only extend the inevitability another hour. I "discovered" endurolytes at the mile 60 feed-zone just as I was having severe cramps and the big climbs were still ahead of us.

I must have taken a handful in the next two hours in order to "bring my electrolyte level to normal" and took 6 per hour to finish the ride (along with lots of food). I was stronger at the end of the ride then during the middle and I'm giving most of the credit to the endurolytes.

Anyone know if taking such a large dose of sodium, calcium, potassium and magnesium is harmful to any of my organs (liver or kidney)? I never experienced any stomach churning during or after the ride and felt normal the next day.

I'll take recommendations for similar products that are less expensive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Are you talking about drinking this on a ride? Somehow a room temperature can of V8 just doesn't sooth my taste buds :)
I drink one cold a few hours before the group rides and it seems to be enough for me. The guy who recommended it drinks 2 a day but he likes the taste. I really hate the taste of V8 so I don't think hot or cold wouldn't make a difference. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.