Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just watched this and was thinking the same thing. His cadence was half of everyone elses.

I've never ridden electonic shifting but can you kick the front derailleur over like you can on mechanical? I guess that wouldn't look good for the sponsor though...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive got a bike with electronic, if the gear jams, it stays in that combo. With mechanical if something stuffs up with the FD it drops into the smaller chainring.

Ive been riding with RD a few times in the hills here in Radelaide and he is a spin king. Im also certain he had mech issues and will find out on Monday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>No mechanical issue yesterday on the climb. Simply just pushing too big of a gear</p>— Rohan Dennis (@RohanDennis) <a href="https://twitter.com/RohanDennis/status/342998293317578752">June 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

·
Registered
214 Posts
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>No mechanical issue yesterday on the climb. Simply just pushing too big of a gear</p>— Rohan Dennis (@RohanDennis) <a href="https://twitter.com/RohanDennis/status/342998293317578752">June 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Yeah, Oh, OK.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
He was spinning a nice small gear until he blew on Saturday too. After that he was churning like a young lardass Lance Armstrong. Room for improvement, alas.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So why, if he was pushing too big a gear, didn't he shift down? Is he stupid?
Apparently at the end of the stage he said something along the lines of "if I went to an easier gear it gave me the option to slow the cadence and ***** out, pushing a big gear made me work till the end"

Obviously just psychological help.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Apparently at the end of the stage he said something along the lines of "if I went to an easier gear it gave me the option to slow the cadence and ***** out, pushing a big gear made me work till the end"

Obviously just psychological help.
Pushing a bigger gear doesn't mean he's going to go faster. Putting down his maximum power would of been not ***** out and he almost certainly could of put down more power going to an easier gear. He is either an idiot or he had a mechanical. I like to think someone at his level is not an idiot and a mechanical is a much more logical answer.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,670 Posts
Pushing a bigger gear doesn't mean he's going to go faster. Putting down his maximum power would of been not ***** out and he almost certainly could of put down more power going to an easier gear. He is either an idiot or he had a mechanical. I like to think someone at his level is not an idiot and a mechanical is a much more logical answer.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong...but wasn't his team car nearby at the time? If so, his DS sure as hell would have been swearing at him to shift.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
When does anyone who is getting dropped going up hill go to a bigger gear and try to grind it out (against the best in the world) as if a bigger gear is easier?
Some do when they're cooked. Physiology/psychology.

Dennis just needs to learn how to blow smaller.

·
Registered
230 Posts
depends on what hurts,

sometimes I'll stay in too big of a gear and grind even though I'm usually high cadence guy (105-115 avg).

like switching hand positions, it's just a different ways of dealing with a fatigue problem.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.