Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Scott in MD said:
"Electronic DA...only changing gears" - Changing gears doesn't have anything to propulsion?

I know it's a fine distinction, but in my opinion it's over the line.

so you ride a fixed gear or singlespeed?

· Registered
11,555 Posts
UCI Rules.

Scott in MD said:
"...Electronic Dura-Ace makes another appearance" - Cycling News

C'mon ... isn't this a moped?!?
It's a long stretch, but I suppose you could make a case for banning electronic shifting by interpreting this UCI rule and defining the terms 'propulsion' and 'electric assistance' in a certain way:

Propulsion.
1.3.010 The bicycle shall be propelled solely, through a chainset, by the legs (inferior muscular chain) moving in a circular movement, without electric or other assistance.

· Registered
650 Posts
wim said:
It's a long stretch, but I suppose you could make a case for banning electronic shifting by interpreting this UCI rule and defining the terms 'propulsion' and 'electric assistance' in a certain way:

Propulsion.
1.3.010 The bicycle shall be propelled solely, through a chainset, by the legs (inferior muscular chain) moving in a circular movement, without electric or other assistance.
I have a feeling that UCI has already reviewed it and deemed the system to be legal. A) Shimano wouldn't bring it to market otherwise and B) they wouldn't have had TdF riders on it if it weren't legal.

· Scott in Maryland
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody who thinks electronically controlled shifting wouldn't give me an advantage over ME hasn't seen me shift my Stumpjumper rear cog into a smaller/harder gear (*accidentally) in the middle of a steep climb at Gambrill Park, then fall to the ground with my feet lock-clicked into the pedals, then roll off the trail and a short ways down Braddock Mountain...

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Scott in MD said:
Anybody who thinks electronically controlled shifting wouldn't give me an advantage over ME hasn't seen me shift my Stumpjumper rear cog into a smaller/harder gear (*accidentally) in the middle of a steep climb at Gambrill Park, then fall to the ground with my feet lock-clicked into the pedals, then roll off the trail and a short ways down Braddock Mountain...
I doubt the electronic shifting can generate the same force that your finger on a mechanical shifter can unless it is rapid rise and then it would go into an easier gear without any force. That would have to be on heck of a servo in there to match the strength of a finger. Perhaps, you should anticipate your shifting needs a little more in advance. It is just the next step. If you don't like it then don't put it on your bike. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.