Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a fan of top mount brake levers and do not see myself switching to electronic shifting, however, I find it interesting that the new Dura-Ace electronic group will allow crossers to brake and shift from the bar top position.

Curious to know if anyone would consider running this set-up for CX or some other application.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
Optional remote shifters can be mounted to the bar tops.
I didn't catch that. I suppose primarily for time trial bikes?

I can give a report on bartop shifting in a month or two, when I convert my bike from road to cross. I'll be running single chainring with interrupter levers and a Paul thumbie shifter on the bartops.

· Registered
638 Posts
Yea Im not sure how I feel about electronic shifting. I guess im just thinking that although ive never snapped a der. cable while riding I sure have had batteries run low in my phone, ipod, lights, etc. Im just not sure that with no real weight benefeit it would be any smoother than what we've been riding for years. Either way the der. is getting moved by either my hand or an electronic piece, I dont yet see how one can be smoother than the other. Although for TT bikes the aero benefeit of running a wire through the inside of the frame to a sleeker der is probably cool. Not to mention easier placement of shifters for the aero bars.

· Registered
25 Posts
Electronic sounds cool but the silly things would cost more than my bike. Then what happens the first time that baby get's a nice helping of peanut butter mud caked on it? I can tell you that I would cussing louder than when I have to replace my XTR Chainrings.

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
dano49 said:
Electronic sounds cool but the silly things would cost more than my bike. Then what happens the first time that baby get's a nice helping of peanut butter mud caked on it? I can tell you that I would cussing louder than when I have to replace my XTR Chainrings.
My rear mech stays pretty clean. Sure, there is some spatter, but no mud caking unless I crash. The front mech is another matter. I know that my rear shifting gets bad because mud gets in the cable and causes significant friction. That would be eliminated with electronic shifting. I wonder how strong the actuators are. Can they push a rear mech with some gloop in the works? If so, they it might really be a benefit to cross.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.