1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I actually had some physical therapy for a muscle imbalance in my quad using a form of electrostimulation and I determined after three weeks replacing my usual training with electrostimulation, that I could do what the doctor was doing in less time at the gym, by myself, working some additional stretching and strengthening exercises into my weekly routine. The plan the doctor came up with was doing nothing but keeping me out of the gym and setting me back on my goals. I can see it being used for the elderly who can't be as physical. Some lunges and stretches fixed it in a week. That's my experience.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
What do you want to use it for?

"Recovery", strengthening, endurance training?

I have ready access to electrical stimulation equipment and I teach electrotherapy and I don't use it. For the most part, there is nothing you can achieve with E-stim that can't be achieved with voluntary exercise, and certainly in some cases (e.g. strengthening) it is far more comfortable to do it yourself.

As far as I'm aware no evidence it helps recovery, from an endurance training perspective it could be useful because some large, Type II motor units with fast-twitch muscle fibers would be recruited at reasonably low intensities. Thus you could train these fibers without doing high-intensity intervals. However, again no evidence and really I would be surprised if you could demonstrate any advantage over volitional training alone.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
What do you want to use it for?

"Recovery", strengthening, endurance training?

I have ready access to electrical stimulation equipment and I teach electrotherapy and I don't use it. For the most part, there is nothing you can achieve with E-stim that can't be achieved with voluntary exercise, and certainly in some cases (e.g. strengthening) it is far more comfortable to do it yourself.

Will it work to stop arm pit sweating?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bas said:
Will it work to stop arm pit sweating?
I have no idea, don't consider autonomic responses much.

Although quite a few people get a typical "nervous sweat" from the apprehension of getting "shocked" and some people can't deal with it even at very low intensities. Quite similar to fear of heights or needles or whatever.

I don't recall ever reading anything about using it for something like stopping sweating.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I have a Compex unit that I use for recovery in multi-day events.

If you attach the pads to your head, it helps to quiet down the "voices" that tell you to do bad things.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I have no idea, don't consider autonomic responses much.

Although quite a few people get a typical "nervous sweat" from the apprehension of getting "shocked" and some people can't deal with it even at very low intensities. Quite similar to fear of heights or needles or whatever.

I don't recall ever reading anything about using it for something like stopping sweating.
I remember some advertisements in magazines.

Some results @ google on electrostimulation and sweating:

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/20736.htm

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
We had one in high school for cross country. I got horrible shin splints and would put it on my shins. I didn't notice any difference, and the shin splints continued to get worse. But, we did stick it on the freshmen and turn it up all the way...fun times.

·
I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just happened to see it in the Hammer Nut
catalog and wondered if it was another gimmick.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
threesportsinone said:
Is it like an ultrasound massage? Is it like Iontophoresis?
No, ultrasound is completely different.

Iontophoresis, in theory, uses electrical current to "drive" drugs with an electrical charge (usually dexamethasone) into the skin to the target tissue, whether it actually does that or not is open to some debate.

The electrical stimulators sold for sports use are different than iontophoresis units.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I own a Compex (fomerly sold by Hammer Nutrition) and would say that the Globius currently marketed is similar and either can be used to augment a training regimen but not as a substitute. With the time constraints in most peoples experience, I have primarily used E-Stim for recovery more than anything else. Also, a primary detrator for E-Stim workouts - assuming the intent is to work multiple muscle groups per session - E-Stim is somewhat time intensive in terms of setup to position/reposition gel pads between each segment (a training segment lasting 20-40 minutes). Seems that unless the user has numerous extra adhesive gel pads that can be pre-positioned in order to achieve quick changes between workouts - which will look a tad silly if you have to answer the door with multiple EEG like pads stuck to various body parts - the time requirements become the limiting factor and I tend to opt for time on the bike as opposed to time on the E-Stim.

·
I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An additional situational question....
I'm going to have to have hip surgery. Not looking forward to it.
Would the electro stim help the recovery time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife is a physical therapist and so I was very excited to get to use the E-Stim she has. But apparently the main benefit is to people to weak/incapacitated to contract the muscles on their own. For people that can do traditional workouts an E-Stim doesn't do much for you :(

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Lance Armstrong's secret?

I almost considered one, thinking I could work out all night long while I slept in an altitude tent with an IV of Gatorade. Would be Cat 1 in no time, with no effort whatsoever! ;-)

·
Registered
447 Posts
OldRoadGuy said:
An additional situational question....
I'm going to have to have hip surgery. Not looking forward to it.
Would the electro stim help the recovery time?
Best of luck with your surgery, I just had a fall that resulted in 3 pins down there and I've got 5 more weeks on crutches let alone rehab. Not fun :(. If you get a good surgeon you'll be up and at 'em in no time!

·
I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kris Flatlander said:
Best of luck with your surgery, I just had a fall that resulted in 3 pins down there and I've got 5 more weeks on crutches let alone rehab. Not fun :(. If you get a good surgeon you'll be up and at 'em in no time!
You'll be setting off metal detectors in no time.:)
Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.