Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

I was wondering whether training on my eliptical cross trainer is gonna make me any better on my bike. I know I will get me fit and lighter in a general sense, but are there any other cycling-specific benefits one could get out of the trainer?

Thanks all

·
Registered
137 Posts
Aside from cardiovascular benefits, I doubt it. Yes, it will get you fit and help you lose fat. It's similar to running (but not quite), so it would help to strengthen that muscle group, which is somewhat different than the set you use while cycling.

As a substitute for biking, I would not think it would be sufficient. As cross-training, you may find it beneficial.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
fouadaswad said:
hello

I was wondering whether training on my eliptical cross trainer is gonna make me any better on my bike. I know I will get me fit and lighter in a general sense, but are there any other cycling-specific benefits one could get out of the trainer?

Thanks all
I am in the Navy and have spent long periods of time on a ship with nothing but an eliptical trainer. I found that once I got used to it and could go long periods of time without using my hands, it really strenthened my core, especially my back and hips. I used to have issues with hip pain and some occassional back issues. The eliptical really seemed to help both issues. I gained some benefit from using my arms, but mostly in an increased heart rate.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
fouadaswad said:
hello

Thanks all
I use them, since I hate the "fake" biking of using a trainer or rollers. One problem is that it slows my cadence. I swear they help to build muscle mass in the legs. But I prefer to ride whenever possible. They are a way to stay in shape-- but I don't think they provide a targetted improvement specific to biking.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
If you want to improve cycling, cycle. Granted, anything beats sitting on the couch drinking beer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes indeed, I know that for cycling, cycling is best. i love to cycle. It is addictive. But I hate to cycle on a trainer. I dont have one, and would not like to buy one. I like it outdoors. However, I was thinking whether a crosstrainer was a good way to keep the cycling specific muscles going during a blizzard out there (afterall i owe my fitness to this machine, which i used regularlybefore i bought my bike). Most dont seem to think so, although, i was inclined to think that the position on my cross-trainer is similar to a standing cyclist positioned to climb or attack. I could be wrong, however. Anyways, thanks all for the feedback.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The elliptical is more similar to running than cycling.

If you can't stand cycling on a trainer, try a set of rollers. They're a lot more fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts