Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what it means to be elite? As in elite cat 4. And is masters's a set age range or does the race director get to set it?

I am 30 (race age 31). I thought I read somewhere that elite is 19 to 28ish or on a pro team or something like that.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Elite generally would be a very good CAT 1 or on a lower level domestic pro team...Way above CAT 4 level.

As for Masters ages...It can be set at 35+ if a promoter wishes to, but generally it's 40+

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
no, that's not correct. 'elite' has take the place of 'senior', as in between juniors and masters age riders. there is now elite 5 thru 1 in usa cycling jargon. it just means adult age racers, that's all. i think they were starting to think that people would mix up 'senior' and 'masters', so they changed it. generally masters is 35+, but i varies. in some areas it's 40+, but for nationals, and sometimes district championships it starts at 30+.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i generally see masters as 30+ although race promoters can change that.

i'm pretty sure my license has has masters on in for years. just an age classification thing.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
cxwrench said:
no, that's not correct. 'elite' has take the place of 'senior', as in between juniors and masters age riders. there is now elite 5 thru 1 in usa cycling jargon. it just means adult age racers, that's all. i think they were starting to think that people would mix up 'senior' and 'masters', so they changed it. generally masters is 35+, but i varies. in some areas it's 40+, but for nationals, and sometimes district championships it starts at 30+.
I stand corrected :)

We don't use USAC guidelines here in Oregon...though they do go by most of their rules. So I didn't know they had changed Senior to Elite. I remember they used to classify elite racers as basically Semi-Pro's...just on the edge of being a pro racer.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
That's the way it used to be.
They changed the description sometime in the last 5 years. (I guess that "Elite" sounds fancier)

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
I stand corrected :)

We don't use USAC guidelines here in Oregon...though they do go by most of their rules. So I didn't know they had changed Senior to Elite. I remember they used to classify elite racers as basically Semi-Pro's...just on the edge of being a pro racer.
i know, it caught me by surprise the first year they made the change. went to a local race and saw the categories listed..'elite 4, elite 3, etc...' i was thinking what the hell is going on now, more new categories? i agree w/ you, i've always thought of 'elite' as meaning one step below 'pro'...just goes to show you that usa cycling nevers stops surprising its members!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
cxwrench said:
just goes to show you that usa cycling nevers stops surprising its members!
For sure, check this out from the distant past:

1976 U.S.C.F. classes:
Midgets (ages 8 - 11)
Intermediates (12 - 14)
Juniors (15 - 17)
Seniors (18 - 34)
Veterans (35 - 44)
Masters (45 - 54)
Grand Masters (55 and up)

1976 announcer: "Will the midget boys and girls please come to the start line?" :D

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
Here in Oz we have:
elite = non aged based racer
anyone (apart from junior) can take an elite licence no matter their age.

riders are generally graded on ability/performance.

for masters, we have categories for 35+, usually in 5 year groups (35-39, 40-44 etc) but sometimes combined if numbers are low. this really only applies for championship events, otherwise racing is grade based irrespective of age.

UCI had a masters championship category for 30-34 but they are aboloshing that this year, with youngest masters category now 35-39.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts