Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm estatic. Vervekcen was who I was pulling for. Looks like he timed his peak just right. He's a class act.

What happened with Nys?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kajukembo said:
I'm estatic. Vervekcen was who I was pulling for. Looks like he timed his peak just right. He's a class act.

What happened with Nys?

Nys crashed going into the last lap.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
jmeerse said:
1st: Vervecken
2nd: Wellens
3rd: Mouray
Reads like the other riders worked Nijs over pretty good, and then an untimely crashed ended his chances. Good result for Page in 10th. What about Steve Chainel in 4th? He's done well on the French national circuit this year. I think he might even be an elite without contract.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
DuGast said:
Man, that was painful!! Gave me a flashback when I crashed on mtn bike ride and broke my collarbone! I'm guessing that Nys just hit an icy patch and lost the front wheel but it was hard to tell since the camera followed Mourey then panned away then Nys' bike came flying into the picture.
Don't know if Nys would have won but I'm sure that he would punch it somewhere on the course 'cuz he needed to get rid of the other guys. Vervecken sure did fly up the stairs, though, so he was looking very strong!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
dlbcx said:
Man, that was painful!! Gave me a flashback when I crashed on mtn bike ride and broke my collarbone! I'm guessing that Nys just hit an icy patch and lost the front wheel but it was hard to tell since the camera followed Mourey then panned away then Nys' bike came flying into the picture.
Don't know if Nys would have won but I'm sure that he would punch it somewhere on the course 'cuz he needed to get rid of the other guys. Vervecken sure did fly up the stairs, though, so he was looking very strong!
He says he clipped a tree and that is what caused him to lose it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
drevelo66 said:
SPeaking of which-where'd he get those chops? Was he a MTBer at any point?
he is a mtber now.. he's trying to go to the 2008 olympics in mtb. didn't he win the belgian XC national championship this summer?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
ahhh there is a just God!!!!!

last time ole Sven raced a Worlds in Holland he sold out his country for his sponsor. this time, he crashes, hard and right in front of a Rabobank banner. I hope he's okay but why do I have a feeling some divine justice was just dispensed?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
atpjunkie said:
last time ole Sven raced a Worlds in Holland he sold out his country for his sponsor. this time, he crashes, hard and right in front of a Rabobank banner. I hope he's okay but why do I have a feeling some divine justice was just dispensed?
Yeah some sort of cosmic justice. Although it was clear in the race that there was a Belgium Fidea bloc of Vervecken and Wellens riding in concert against Nijs which isn't the most patriotic way to go about things either. Nijs lost his only ally when Vanthourenhout flatted out of the lead group.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Alright, now give the guy a break. It was 6 years ago. He was 22, we all did stupid sh** for a little extra money at 22. Besides, he screwed-over Declerq, who was no model teammate in his own right. I know your argument that he sold out his country, I agree, but I think it's time to move on.

Now I just hope Isabella dumps him and starts to return my emails........

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
sorry I'm Belgian at heart

and he sold out to the Dutch. Would be the equivalent of a young LA taking pulls and defending for Ekimov (I'm flexing time space, teamm affiliation here) in a USA/USSR Olympic or Worlds showdown. Sorry I'll never get over it. was stoked for Vervecken and Wellens (guy who has always shown promise and a guy who is on a comeback of sorts)

it was 4 Belgians and a Frenchman,I think the Fidea boys had country covered. They seemed to be working for Svend who was sitting 4th. Anyhow, was anyone else here amazed by how FAST they were going in that video. Scary

·
Irregular poster
21 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Well what was he suppose to do then, I don't think belgium as a country pays his rent at the end of the day, teams do. As a Dutchie I'm glad that he let Groenendaal win that day, could it have been a nicer race, offcourse.

Besides Declerq is a hypocrit and a whiner, remember that he drove Vervecken into the gates the year before, intended was written all over that action. Nice one for the country! I think Nys could've taken Groenendaal in the sprint, but would you risk getting driven into the gates. If you know you have someone with you that does everything to win.

The Belgiums are all to eager to win, all of them are big ego's. They would rather kill each other then work for one another. No matter how nice they are sitting on the the couch on the national TV shows doing interviews.
Vervecken and Wellens worked as a teammates to to block a countrymen, is that fair? You tell me.

But I agree 2000 is getting played out.

r.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
not exactly

and I'm no De Clerq fan. but he is a countryman and what you are saying is athletes at Worlds or Olympic events shouyld put sponsor over nation. Bullcrap, they have an enite World Cup season to do so. I'm sure you as a Dutchman would be so pleased if one of your Olympic speedskaters 'sold out' to a foreigner who shared the same skate sponsor.
It wasn't 04 (but that was De Clerq and Verve) but 2000 and I'm sorry Worlds are about representing your nation, if not, why hold them?

As for this year, everyone agrees Wellens was the strongest but when Verv went Bart played a defensive role sitting on Mouray. That doesn't sound selfish to me.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts