Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here use this trainer? I picked up one used locally and it is crazy quiet. I need/want to set up a speed/distance sensor on it, and definitely do not want to use their program. I just want to use Garmin. I know I can add an ANT+ unit to the side of the housing, but have not found out if I can set a diameter that will accurately reflect a speed like a road speed and distance.

Honestly, I think that it is probably not a linear curve power/cog RPM to what the same speed on the road would feel like. I am pretty geared down and felt like I was tapped out. Seems like some sort of variable hill to me.

I know I should use my power meter output to train with, I just wanted to reflect "miles". Maybe I should not even try, and just set up the Garmin to record time when not actually moving, so I can at least record the workout. I think I have it set for 3MPH pause now.

Also, my Garmin Vector setup was showing like 5 W when pedalling in the lowest gearing. It sure felt like more! Is there a difference in how a WATT feels on the road vs the trainer? I was running at 80W on the trainer at a much higher heartrate than a similar length average at 120W on the road. 120W road avg felt WAY easier!

Thanks!

John.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Never used it but a watt should feel like a watt as far as I know.

My Wahoo Kickr has a built in powermeter and I also have PowerTap pedals. The wattage seems about exactly the same whether I am on the road or on the trainer and the 2 powermeters seem to run pretty close to one another. 120 watts should feel pretty easy no matter where you are unless you are very light.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only had 1 ride on the trainer and 2 on the road with the Vectors. Just kind of judging based on "feel". More rides to come. The 120 avg felt like a nice easy ride, about 15mph avg at a conversation pace. I am not light...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts