Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Tarmac Elite (my first new bike after 10 years with a Trek 1220) and I absolutely love it. During LBS Demo Days with Specialized, I was able to ride a Roubaix SL2 and was blown away. Obviously there a LOT of differences between these two bikes, but I'm trying to determine what might have made the BIGGEST difference. I realize that's a subjective issue, but looking for any input/suggestions, and particularly how that might play out in future upgrades to my Tarmac Elite. For example, I was blown away by how much lighter the SL2 was and while I assume just about every element and component was lighter, I bet the BIG differences were in the wheels and the Durace 7900 crank. Thus - I might look first to new wheels and a new crank for the Elite. Make sense? Any recommendations on what might be good upgrades on those components that still make sense with the Elite frame? I'm up to 100+ miles a week on solo and group rides. Getting close to staying with our local "A group" at 20+ mph for 30-40 miles.

Thanks.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Best bang for the buck, by far, is going to be an upgraded wheeleset.

Keeping in mind these are estimated weights, your CPX22's are closing in on 2,000 g's. You can upgrade to Easton EA70's (claimed weight of 1650 g's) for well under $400. Weight savings? About 350 g's or 3/4 lb.

I did a quick check of weights for the 7900 crankset as opposed to youir OEM crankset and came up with a estimated weight savings of about 250 g's. From a price/ performance aspect, the wheelset is the better way to go - at least initially.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Obviously the difference in weight would have been noticeable but I would assume the biggest difference in feeling came from the frame geometry, design, and material. Before you dump a lot of money into trying to make your Tarmac Elite feel like a Roubaix SL2 you might want to find out if making your Tarmac Elite lighter will really make it feel like a Roubaix SL2.

For instance Ill bet you could sell your complete Tarmac Elite (assuming its in good shape) for the price of the Roubaix SL2 frame and use the money you were going to spend upgrading the Tarmac Elite (Dura Ace 7900 cranksets arent cheap) on a nice set of wheels and a full Dura Ace 7800 group. I think the price difference wouldn't be that big but the performance difference would be.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
282 Posts
even the roubaix pro frame was 700 euros more than my roubaix elite, the wheels on the tarmac elite are a little over 2000 grams i think, an upgrade to dura ace 7850 sl wheels plus dura ace cassette would save you 500 grams, i have the same wheels as you but i find them pretty good, i know their heavy but theyre strong and roll well, i do plan in time to upgrade to the wheels i mentioned but as it is im happy enough for now

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have 2007 tarmac expert, and I upgraded wheelset to Mavic Ksyrium ES ($650) weight saving of 1lbs and very stiff wheelset 1480g vs 2000g original. I also replaced the FSA SL-K crankset with Shimano Ultegra crankset ($140 (no weight adavntage) but got rid of the annoying sqeak that LBS was debugging for 4 month. By far the wheel upgrade is the best bang for the buck. I sold original wheelset for $200 and FSA crankset for $150 so total cost of ugrade was about $440, look for great deals at your local craigslist

·
Registered
282 Posts
get this, the stock wheelset on my roubaix elite, the back wheel including cassette tyre and tube weighs 1995 grams on the digital scale, thats crazy!!! they have some 08 campy ventos going cheap in the shop which arent lightweghts either but if my calculations are correct i'll save over 400 grams with the upgrade!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts