Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Proud luddite
7,207 Posts
I remember vividly the night he died. I was 11 y.o. and it was a sweltering night in North Carolina, with our house not having AC. We were watching the original movie version about the sinking of the Titanic, they interrupted the broadcast with the story about Elvis, and then they went back to broadcasting the movie. During commercials, I think our conversation was something along the lines of, "So Elvis is dead. Huh."

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
In the immortal words of the dead milkmen,

"when I die, that's how I wanna go, fat and stoned and wealthy and sitting on the bowl..."

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
not dead

weltyed said:
he aint dead. he is living in an old folks home battling some ho-tep with the real jfk.
He's *not* dead. I heard him on the radio just this morning.

·
slow rider
385 Posts
We're waiting for the annual visitation of the japanese and british tourist to see his birth shack.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
How a no-talent hack got to be so famous is beyond me.
He helped bring black music to ******. Pretty seminal act, you know?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I grew up in the 1980s. Does anyone else remember the "Elvis sightings" that used to turn up from time to time in the tabloids?

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
lemonlime said:
He helped bring black music to ******. Pretty seminal act, you know?
Gotta agree. Even if you don't like his music, you can't downplay his importance or influence. Elvis's early rock n' roll records scared much of Eisenhower's America precisely because it was viewed as black music. Those who didn't want to talk about the race issue latched onto his sexualization of popular music, (such as the TV networks refusing to show gyrating his hips on the Ed Sullivan show) but even that was really just one part of the whole race issue.

I think that you can really hear the roots of what Elvis was doing in the gospel tracks that he cut. For those who don't think that Elvis wasn't influenced by African American culture, especially as it existed South of the Mason Dixon line, listen to those records. He had a great voice, and certainly could lift the doors off the hinges when he wanted to. Not Pavarotti great, but near the top of the heap in terms of pop music.

<div>
<br /><a href="http://video.yahoo.com/watch/179553/748624">Elvis Presley - Peace In The Valley</a> @ <a href="http://video.yahoo.com" >Yahoo! Video</a></div>

·
Non non normal
10,097 Posts
I can vividly remember the day Elvis died. The waitress with the bee hive hairdo was so upset she had to leave work and go home.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
How a no-talent hack got to be so famous is beyond me.
Or that people are still crying over someone that ODed.
There are imo a few key-players in 20th century music culture: Elvis and the Beatles. You may not like their style, or music or whatever. They did, however, have talent.

As to the second remark, I like to think Elvis' talents outdid his vices, which were self-destructive, not immoral.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
me and some bad Elvis's (is that the proper pluralization ???) Vegas naturally

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Swish said:
There are imo a few key-players in 20th century music culture: Elvis and the Beatles. You may not like their style, or music or whatever. They did, however, have talent.

As to the second remark, I like to think Elvis' talents outdid his vices, which were self-destructive, not immoral.
Yer forgetting James Brown, who's influence on music today is far greater than that of Elvis...

Without James Brown, there would be no hip-hop and all that it inspired.

Without Elvis, Rock and roll would have gone on.

Without the Beatles, you simply have less importance placed on singer-songwriters.

Elvis was important, to be sure. But at this point, does the genre he popularized even exist anymore?

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
I believe the plural is "Elvi"

When I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's the weekday afternoon movie used to always have an Elvis week. "Roustabout", "Blue Hawaii", "Viva Las Vegas", "Girls, Girls, Girls", "G.I. Blues." great movies. He was a better actor than most singers and could pull off a dramatic role if he needed to. Just check out "King Creole." "Blue Hawaii" is still my favorite. Angela Lansbury plays his ditz of a mom and it's priceless! (and yeah, the Asian man servant is a stereotype, it was 1961 :rolleyes: )

this is before dish or cable or any of them goldurn things ya' whippersnappers (shakes cane at the screen)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts