Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
bigrider said:
I can vividly remember the day Elvis died. The waitress with the bee hive hairdo was so upset she had to leave work and go home.
Where I was working that summer (between my freshman and sophomore years of college) there was a secretary that had big bleached hair (think Dolly Parton) and a plaster bust of Elvis on her desk. As soon as she heard of Elvis's death, she headed over to the Greyhound bus station and somehow made her way from Baltimore to Memphis for Elvis's funeral. I had to go back to school before she returned from bereavement leave. But, I was told that she cried at her desk for weeks afterwards. At first people treated the whole thing as a joke. However, when people realized how genuinely Elvis's death impacted the woman, they began to have some sympathy for her (even though they also thought that she needed professional help)/\.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
thedago said:
me and some bad Elvis's (is that the proper pluralization ???) Vegas naturally
Your outfit sucks. It's like you didn't even try.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
How a no-talent hack got to be so famous is beyond me.
Are you kidding?

That cat could sing:

·
Super Moderator
19,510 Posts
Next time anyone asks why the Beatles, the Who and the Stones sing with southern accents tell them it's because of Elvis. He was the seminal rocker. Back in the day every rock n roller wanted to be Elvis.

He is the man.

·
Master debator.
8,765 Posts
It depends on your age I suppose. I was a small child when he died, and didn't really care. I never was much for his music. My generation mourned Michael Jackson more I suppose.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
nOOky said:
My generation mourned Michael Jackson more I suppose.
Probably true. I think that it is interesting, however, how even Michael Jackson (or his handlers) felt it necessary to give more than a passing nod to Elvis. The "King of Pop" label is an obvious reference to Elvis' claim to being "The King of Rock and Roll" - albeit a deferential one. MJ's romantic relationship with Lisa Marie Presely (as well as his over-the-top mansion/fantasy world, heedless spending sprees and, yes, Elvis-like reliance on quack doctors and debilitating drug addictions) is an interesting tie back to The King that could keep a team of Hollywood psychologists busy for years...

·
Registered
296 Posts
thedago said:
me and some bad Elvis's (is that the proper pluralization ???) Vegas naturally

woah that dude on the left is the REAL elvis............did you all know that elvis was really hispanic ?

and wtf is up with the guido elvis on the right ?

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
buck-50 said:
Without James Brown, there would be no hip-hop and all that it inspired.
You say this like it's a good thing....

buck-50 said:
Elvis was important, to be sure. But at this point, does the genre he popularized even exist anymore?
Fair question. If you are talking "Rock and Roll" music - Chuck Berry riffs, pounding piano, wailing vocals - I would posit that its appeal is eternal but it certainly isn't the dominent form of pop music these days. If you are talking more generally about music that captures the spirit of rebellion, smoulders with sexuality, scares parents, and is roundly condemned from the pulpit, then Rock and Roll is alive and well, regardless of whether it is called rock, rap, hip hop, or pop.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts