Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Embrace your inner Fred
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I was the only entrant. Damnit Im still embarrassed. Im riding my bike back in the rain after picking it up from my lbs. Im using my cleets. So far so good. Im getting to a light and a retard pulls out without looking. I swerve to avoid the unwitting blond and her friend and give them a wtf look. Things when south from there. I stopped and attempted to get off the usual way but the damn cleets wouldnt release. So all 6'6" of me keeled over side ways in front of the blond and her friend. Im freakin stuck on the wet ground unable to get my cleets to release. All the while Im hearing laughter from behind. I wanted to freaking die on the spot lol. I had to take my shoes off get up and roll the bike to the curb with soaking wet socks on. Why me lord why me. At least they asked me if I was ok. I didnt have the balls to fight with em after all that lmao. I shot em a half assed yeah and they were on there way with smirks. Cant wait till I escape from Noobdom.

Dont know if it was adjusted too tight or it was the rain etc.... I have the Look Keo pedals. I am now weary of these damn cleets. Never happened before. Maybe it was the shock of getting hit that scrambled my brain etc. It happened so fast. This could have been serious. Has this happened to anyone before? Come on let it out.:D

· Too Old to Run...
233 Posts
Snakebitten said:
Has this happened to anyone before? Come on let it out.:D

Uh... no. :p

But I sympathize with you. My advice to you is to clip out or, begin attempting to clip out, long before the stop. If you clip out early you can still lightly peadal without causing any major problems. And if you can't... don't stop, don't fall over. You can almost always find a safe way to proceed without falling over. The key is to shift to the lowest gear so you can crawl along.

I taught my son this and we practiced it together until he got it down. Now he never fears stops or unclipping. Good luck!

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
"Why do we fall Master Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

i'm sticking with crank brothers. I keep hearing stories about pedals that are hard to get out of and I don't want to understand.

· still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I went clipless about two weeks ago and at this point I it has been easy (Shimano road shoes and pedals). I did come from toe clips and straps (but never fell that I remember) and it's really just learning to automatically get your foot out as you come up to a stop with either system. With clips, slide your foot back. With clipless, twist your ankle out - same reaction, different movement. The other day I was headed for the ditch coming out of a turn onto bad pavement with a car coming at me. Somehow I automatically unclipped myself, I realized as I stood there with both feet on the ground!

Re-hashing some of what I've learned here, now with first-hand experience:

1. Set the tension at the loosest setting on the pedals - you won't come out unexpectedly, but it will be easier to get in and out of them.

2. Practice while holding yourself up in a doorframe (you're supported on both sides). A wall also works if needed. Just sit there and practice getting in and out - without looking, before you go riding with them for the first time. And again if you want.

3. Unclip early and often. Family coming at you on the MUT with kids all over the place? Slow down and unclip. You can coast a long ways and even pedal gently while unclipped. Along the lines of this example, asking if you can pass on the left seems to mean a lot of different things. A) they let you by, B) they get in the left lane, C) they just stop in the middle of the trail, D) they freak out and/or look annoyed (mostly the side-by-side riders). Almost all trail users are great, but be ready for any scenario like this or the car that pulls out in front of you, etc. Might not have much time to react, so make sure it's basically a reflex to unclip.

Now that I said this, what are the odds that I'm going down on my next ride? :D

359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damnit...I was hoping for more company:D Well some good advice kykr13. Ill try that out at home. The more I think about it I think it was just panic because I get out of it easily now and I havent adjusted a thing. Wont be in a hurry to try that again. Will be unclipping ahead of time as suggested.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
practice practice practice

when i was 14 i took out a group of 8 because i got stuck in my toe clips. It happens to us all.

the challenge i put to you...
learn to track stand. It takes lots of practice but it will teach you control.
do a search on here, there is tons of info...

359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
andulong said:
I have a very good friend who is a Special Olypmic participant. He is also a hell of a cyclist and this has never happened to him. Maybe you could learn something from him???
It was only a matter of time before someone took this the wrong way. I keep forgetting how sensitive people are nowadays. My appologies as I obviously ruffled your feathers:)

PS. Im not embarrased to learn from anyone. If your friend is in the NYC area Id gladly meet up and take those lessons and we can have a few beers and kick back after.:cool:

359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
andulong said:
I probably got more worked up than I should have..no big deal...forget about it. Not in NYC area..West coast. Check your release tension.

T
No prob man. Misunderstandings will happen. Thanks for the advice. I did better today. No problems in Prospect Park. But not yet comfortable enough to try them on the street for now. Want to work on that "track stand" fleck mentioned. Thanks for all the feedback folks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.