Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never liked climbing (always been a masher) much but since I plan on racing in a 206 mile race with lots o' climbing this year I figured I better start training for it. I'm actually starting to dig it. I always have a little "I don't want to do this" response as soon as the pitch goes up but the last few times I've done some major climbing it seems that I quickly settle into a groove. I especially like when there are people in front of me to chase after. I don't think I would climb nearly as fast by myself. The other thing that I have noticed is that my HRM really helps out. Last night I was trying to keep up with the strong guy and I know that as soon as my HR hits 89% I need to back off so I did. Then another guy goes by me but I knew that if I was patient and just stayed at an 87% HR I would eventually catch them. And I did! I was stoked!!

The other thing is that I really worked on my spin over the winter and it has really seemed to help. It actually seems like something has "clicked" in the last two weeks as far as spinning goes. The other day three of us rode in 20-30 mph winds and I could definitely go faster in a lower gear and higher cadence. I would drop one gear and start going 2mph faster. So last night was the same thing. I was trying to keep my cadence above 80 rpm and it was really working.

Does anybody out there actually look forward to hills?

·
Anything on 2 wheels
345 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I always have a little "I don't want to do this" response as soon as the pitch goes up
I have found that looking as straight down as possible gives a good advantage as you take out the mental aspect of climbing. Using this "technique" the climbs have really seemed to be easier and I have managed to go up one or two gears and getting a neat speed boost.

bmxhacksaw said:
Does anybody out there actually look forward to hills?
Yep but not these days as I'm preparing for a flat 20km... I miss the hills! At least I still hit them on my MTB.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I love hills, dude. Love 'em.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I enjoy hills a lot. I like them more than the flats. But sometimes there can be too much of a good thing... After 3500 ft. or so of climbing, my suitcase of courage is pretty much empty.

G

·
I like climbing hills.

Liked it a lot more when I was younger, lighter, fitter, etc.

I suspect by the end of this coming weekend I will hate hills.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
We're not talking about the show, "The Hills," are we? I hate that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, I love hills. I'm honestly happier on long gently rolling sections where I can really get zoned-in and stay there, but I've realized that for me to get that weirdly euphoric rush that comes with sustaining 95%+ HR, I need hills. Flats just won't do that for me. And for putting some real brute power into your quads there's nothing like standing out of the saddle all the way up a big hill.

·
Registered
249 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
I have found that looking as straight down as possible gives a good advantage as you take out the mental aspect of climbing. Using this "technique" the climbs have really seemed to be easier and I have managed to go up one or two gears and getting a neat speed boost.

Yep - been there, done that, and it works well for me. It all starts with the mind, after all.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
"I have found that looking as straight down as possible gives a good advantage as you take out the mental aspect of climbing. Using this "technique" the climbs have really seemed to be easier and I have managed to go up one or two gears and getting a neat speed boost."

What exactly are you focusing on when you're looking down

·
Registered
249 Posts
jhamlin38 said:
"I have found that looking as straight down as possible gives a good advantage as you take out the mental aspect of climbing. Using this "technique" the climbs have really seemed to be easier and I have managed to go up one or two gears and getting a neat speed boost."

What exactly are you focusing on when you're looking down
I just focus on the asphalt going by, but yeah, it's kind of nice to glance ahead once in a while, too. I wouldn't recommend this technique going downhill at 45 mph, though.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I enjoy rollers more than flats.. I really like when I'm cruising along and I notice my speed hasn't dropped even with the increase incline.

Over the past few weeks I've really worked on sprinting up every medium sized hill I encounted. I start pushing from a seated position.. Stand and power a little.. then finish in the saddle. I've found this has helped my general riding when I'm just floating up the hill the next week. I'm not an amazing climber but I'm starting to enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I used to hate climbing and tried to pan routes that avoided it as much as possible. A few years ago, I made a conscious decision to climb as much as possible and after a month, I got much stronger and they haven't bothered me anymore.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Strangely enough, I really enjoy climbing, although I feel like when I ride alone I'm taking a step back. It's hard to gauge your skill climbing with just HR and RPE alone; it seems much easier to guage it by the people you're riding with.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
I'm a recent switch-over from mountain biking, so I really look forward to the hills. I've found I like headwinds almost as much. On a group ride last weekend when we encountered hills with a headwind, I'd be out front creating a draft. When it leveled out or stopped blowing, I'd drop back & rest up for the next attack. It worked out great.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.