Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm running the EMS pro bars on my bike, and have an opportunity to upgrade to the Sl version. Has anyone ridden both? Is the regular version is stiffer than the SL.
I've noticed the SL uses a higher density carbon weave, and is not recommended for clip-on aerobars (not an issue for me).

thanks

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
I'm riding both right now.

Well not really right now but I do currently have both bars on two different bikes. Only my scale knows the difference. I like em both.

·
497 Posts
mixed opinion

I started off with a U.S.-made 44 cm standard Kestrel EMS. Extremely stiff and solid. Also not particularly light, but far stiffer than a 220-230 gram aluminum bar. Wanting to go narrower, I ended up with a 42 cm EMS SL because the mail order company was out of the standard version and made me a good offer. The SL's are insanely-light but also flexier. I'm no Clyde, but a bit too big to be playing with super light parts, especially since I use stuff for a long time.

I couldn't justify the SL's so went back to the standard weight in size 42. This pair made no claims about being U.S. made and feel less stiff than my old standard pair, which is wider and should feel flexier on the bike. They're still noticably stiffer than the SL's. For their weight, I think the SL's are a much stronger bar (if they used the new material with the thicker mold, Kestrel would have a winner). If you're a lighter rider building up a climbing or road racing bike, the SL's would be great. If you're bigger, doing crits, or racing in a crash-prone group, stick with the standard bar.

You said you don't care about the clip on ability, but if you ever plan on flying anywhere to race, it's easier to just take one bike, unless it's an important race or your team is paying the bills. The standard weight bars would allow you to use clip ons for time trialing. Some bike cases have room for an extra wheel (your disk), clip ons, and extra saddle & post premarked for tt's.

I haven't posted an ad yet, but have a pair of 1 month used size 42 SL's to get rid of if you're interested. 26.0 clamp. Hoping to get $100 for them (shipped). I'd be happy to take pictures. bjrhode at wsu dot edu

1 - 3 of 3 Posts