Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my 1st triathalon on saturday and today when i was just doing a little shake down ride my bike kept "slipping" gears. It made it almost impossible to spin in the normal gear range I ride at. It seemed to only happen when the front derailer was on the middle ring and i was in one of the middle gears in the back. The problem didn't seem to manifest itself when I was at the extremes of the rear cosset or when I was in the big front gear.

So any ideas on what's going on? I want to be able to use all my gears for this tri i have coming up!

Thanks everyone,
Aleks

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
It sounds like ghost shifting. Either the deralier is out of adjustment or your derailer hanger is out of alignment. Do a google search for rear derailer adjustment and see what you get. If all else fails most triathlons have a mechanic from an LBS that can take a look at it before the race. Good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How long has it been since you have replaced shift cables?

First guess would be friction in the last bend in the cable housing on the rear der. This hard bend is usually first to cause problems and is located in an area where moisture/crud loves to collect.

You may be able to de-tension the cable by attempting an up shift (to smaller cogs/higher gears) with the rear shifter while NOT pedaling. Then unhook the housing from the guide on the chain stay. Then lube/clean and re-assemble. See what that does for the situation.

Next step would be to take a look at cable tension. Perhaps cables have "stretched".

Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
how about suggesting maybe he needs to adjust the barrel adjuster? if for example you shift up and chain feels like it's not quite making it up, turn the barrel adjuster towards the bike. If the chain feels like it's trying to move past your gear, turn the adjuster away from the bike. Do all adjustments in small amounts. Basically by turning it towards the bike you are tightening the cable and pulling the deraileur up and turning it away lostens the cable and lets the spring pull the deraileur down.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I doubt this is the problem, but just in case, loosen the rear skewer, make sure the wheel is firmly seated in the drop out, tighten skewer making sure wheel remains seated. I once sloppily tightened the skewer with the bike at a tilt and it put the wheel slightly out of alignment. That resulted in not so much of a ghost shift as inability to fine tune the shifts, though there were a couple of ghost shifts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.