Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done both of these climbs?

i will be going across the country next year and was wondering how tough of a climb emory pass is

but i am sure if i train on the road to the crest i could get up emory pass

any thoughts

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
I've ridden the west ascent from Silver City. It's a great ride. The east ascent is obviously the harder one. How loaded down will you be? In touring circles Emory Pass is fairly notorious. Gear down and take it slow and you will fine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theBreeze said:
I've ridden the west ascent from Silver City. It's a great ride. The east ascent is obviously the harder one. How loaded down will you be? In touring circles Emory Pass is fairly notorious. Gear down and take it slow and you will fine.

thanks

i won't be loaded at all except for water and a credit card

i will be going west from silver city

the decent into hillsboro should be fun

have you done the crest road in albuquerque?

how does it compair to emory pass?

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
go do it said:
thanks

i won't be loaded at all except for water and a credit card

i will be going west from silver city

the decent into hillsboro should be fun

have you done the crest road in albuquerque?

how does it compair to emory pass?

thanks
Just watch for Semi's! There are still a lot of bold truckers and locals from the Mimbres Valley hauling long trailers through there on occasion.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
I rode Silver City to Emory Pass a couple years ago. It would have been around the first week of April because it was on a Spring Break trip with my husband and kids. The ride up the pass was terrific. I lucked on a pretty good tailwind most of the way. It's certainly no harder than the Sandia Crest ride. Near the top there are a number of switchbacks. In the windy conditions I had I kept alternating between tailwind and headwind the last couple miles. It was cold and windy at the top. I didn't do the descent to Hillsboro as my family picked me up at the top and we continued on our way home. (we live near Santa Fe)

Definatly check out the elevation profile on the NM Touring Society web site. From Silver City there is some climbing to the Hurley Overlook, ugly copper mine view. Amazing in a horrifying kind of way. Then an awesome descent to San Lorenzo. You can see that the climbing really starts at San Lorenzo, levels out a bit, then tilts up again the last 5 miles to the top of the pass.

I don't recall being overly worried about traffic. It's not a highly traveld route in the spring. Leave SC early in the morning and you should be just fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
theBreeze said:
From Silver City there is some climbing to the Hurley Overlook, ugly copper mine view. Amazing in a horrifying kind of way.
I don't recall being overly worried about traffic. It's not a highly traveld route in the spring. Leave SC early in the morning and you should be just fine.
Hurley is actually about 8 miles to the south from the Hanover overlook. :smilewinkgrin: The site of one of the biggest open pit mines in the world is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

You were fortunate on your trip then with traffic, it is a highly used route any time of year. Stay alert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts