Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy riding my Waterford, but I've never felt any sort of emotional attachment to the bike. However, the strangest thing happened to me the other day. I was contemplating selling the bike and I felt this enormous sense of guilt. It felt like I was breaking up with a girlfriend who had done nothing but be nice to me! I had done my first group ride, race, century, and bike vacations on that Waterford and yet I was thinking about selling it in order to built a shiny new lightweight race bike. Has anyone felt an emotional attachment to one of your bikes? If so, what is the bike and the story behind it? Thanks.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Emotional...

prs77 said:
I enjoy riding my Waterford, but I've never felt any sort of emotional attachment to the bike. However, the strangest thing happened to me the other day. I was contemplating selling the bike and I felt this enormous sense of guilt. It felt like I was breaking up with a girlfriend who had done nothing but be nice to me! I had done my first group ride, race, century, and bike vacations on that Waterford and yet I was thinking about selling it in order to built a shiny new lightweight race bike. Has anyone felt an emotional attachment to one of your bikes? If so, what is the bike and the story behind it? Thanks.
I have a white cardboard box that is currently holding the Shimano DA parts of my carbon frame bike, that was recently returned for a warranty claim on a defective FD cable holder: a rivet failed and came "unglue". This box is sitting on my closet shelf with all the parts ,except the wheelset, as the remains of my trusty frame. This was a loss, albeit temporary, and I am now looking forward to a new frame plus the temporary cheaper frame to console me while I wait.

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
Oh, heck yeah!

Probably the strongest emotional attachment I had to a bike was to a lugged steel Eisentraut that I had from 1989 - 1998 or '99. I had it for ten years of races, rides with my Dad, with dear friends, etc. It was with me through a lot of life events. By the late 90's technology had passed it by and I wanted a new bike, so I gave it to my buddy for his wife to ride. I would have hated to sell it to a stranger. My buddy's wife got hooked on the sport and eventually got a new super-bike of her own, but she still has my old 'traut as a backup bike. When I visit them (they live on the opposite coast) I have to see the frame. It's like a family member.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Like a first child...

This is not like your first car, girlfriend, wife....

This bike is like your first born....

YOU gotta keep the bike... or give it to someone that will care for it as you would....

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
+ 10000

terry b said:
I can't imagine selling any of the road bikes I own.

Couldn't, Shouldn't, Wouldn't.......I can't bear to think of selling any of my bikes....maybe the mountain bike cause I never ride it anymore, but not any of the cross or road bikes....I may move parts around, rebuild, refurbish, but never relinquish....

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,806 Posts
My First Road Bike

Here’s a snapshot I scanned of my Specialized Sirrus triple taken back in around 1991. This was my first road bike. Prior to that, I was riding mountain and hybrid bikes on the road. When I moved to California in 1993, I kept the bike a couple of years and later sold on consignment at a local bike shop in 1995 to purchase a Trek OCLV that I still have today. I still go on eBay on occasion hoping to find another Sirrus in mint condition to purchase. It’s not the best road bike in the world, but I have a nostalgic fondness for my old Specialized, and the many miles and pleasant memories it gave me. The only things I kept from the old bike was a Vetta C-20 computer with cadence. To this day that computer is still running like a champ on my trainer bike in the family room.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I still have an emotional attachment to my first bike, Huffy Street Racer. It was black with lime green accents. This was more than 14 years ago. If I saw another one, then I'd buy it in a heart beat.

However, my heart belongs to my current road bike, which I'll probably keep forever no matter what bike I may replace it with.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,188 Posts
Purple Betty

Here's the bike that started my love affair with steel lugged frames. It's a '90's Scwhinn Pretendamount and her name was Betty. She was originally white with purple splotches. After about 8 years she was showing her age so I had her repainted. Soon afterwards we were involved in a horrendous crash. I went to hospital for two days and she had a bent downtube. I spent nearly $800.00 to get her repainted and repaired even though I could have bought a newer frame. This is the last picture of Betty before she was stolen out of my garage a few years ago. I miss her so.

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts

terry b said:
I can't imagine selling any of the road bikes I own.
I've found myself attached to junk that has lost its utility yet remains close by. The sentimentality eventually fades and I'll let it go.

I sold a Merlin with a Grease Guard BB after riding it about ten years. Not that it was junk, but I had no use for it. I don't miss that one at all.

The last one that was sold I'd rather not (now). I sold it to a riding buddy (wouldn't have sold it to anyone else) who rides it far more regularly than I would; that's some consolation. I have told him I made a mistake.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I've owned about 20 bikes. The only one I had any trouble letting go was my custom Assenmacher. Matt made the frame for me in (I think) 1974. I rode it until 1998. It was a great bike, but it was a pure crit bike - short wheelbase & quite nervous with lightening fast handling, and a super sprinter. By '98 I had several other bikes, and at my advanced age, wanted something that was a bit more stable and not so harsh. I had real feelings when I sold it, but I made sure it went to a good home.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Depends on the bike. I gave away my first MTB, but would find it hard to part with my current MTB or road bike. Not sure why this as, as I do not get attached to other simple mechanical devices or about cars, but I do get senitmental about aircraft I have flown or boats I have rowed. Very odd, when you think about it.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Technology has not passed by that '89 Eisentraut. Since you gave it to her and she's not using it I'd ask to "borrow" it back. That is a sweet ride that could easily be brought up to today's standards. I've got a good friend who recently had his Traut repainted by Joe Bell. Had to pay a good bit extra to get Eisentrauts signature reapplied to the frame. He runs Campy 10spd. It's one beautiful bike.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
prs77 said:
haha. Through my few years of racing/riding (i'm pretty young...) I've never had an emotional attachment to a bike until recently. I've usually never had a problem selling my bike from the previous year. It was pretty consistent, first real road bike- giant = SOLD, felt = SOLD, felt #2 = SOLD...

Now I've got my most recent bike... its not even the top shelf. I just can't sell it. Not quite sure why. I can't even stop riding it, despite the newer top shelf carbon rig I have. Oh well... I guess if its not broke, don't fix it, right?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I must be emotionally attached to my bikes but never thought about it. Not like I gush over them or think about it at all but I've only sold one bike I've owned since 1971. Obviously I must have some attachement to them.

Edit: I lied. I did give my son my old Cannondale mountain bike. He's still got it but I don't think I'd want it back if he decided to get rid of it. The bike I sold was actually to my bro-in-law and it was a family deal. I know I could get it back if/when he decides to get another. In conclusion, all my bikes are still in the family.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I had an original MX leader.
I got out of cycling for about 5 years (family stuff, kids were little etc.).
Bike was sitting in the garage, wife was always commenting on it.
Old riding Bud always liked the frame and one day asked me if I'd sell it.
I did.
Always regretted it....almost from the moment I sold it.
Finally found a NIB replacement last year.
I'll never sell that bike.

Len

1 - 20 of 23 Posts