Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was following an auction for an Empella Bonfire frame but decided not to bid 'cause of the crazy geometry. My road and track bikes are both roughly 58s but the Empella "58" size lists top tube as 55cm and seat tube as 54cm?! ( according to crossworld's geo chart.)

I realize the benefits of more stand over but isn't the tt a little on the short side for a larger frame? I usually know better than to question a company like Empella that's made a name for themselves in cross but am I missing something? Are they usually set up with a super rise, super long stem?

I've finally come to terms with the fact I'm not going to be moving closer to the track any time soon so I'm looking to add a cross bike to the stable.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
if you ride a 58 road or track

for an Empella you probably need a 60. they measure to top of the seat collar so a 60 Empella has a 56 C-C ST (giving you an extra 2C of standover) with a 58 TT. Measure your road TT and then shop for Empellas as such. Check ST length and standover.
Cyclocrossworld has the geometry

http://www.store.yahoo.com/cyclocrossworld/embonslframw.html

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Empella's sizing is weird but it actually works.

In most cases you buy the 'same number' as your roadie.
I ride 61 C-C roadies with 59-59.5 TTs. I'd ride a 61 or 62 Empella (see same #) but it has a 58 or 59 c-c ST and equal length TT.
In most cases when shopping for a CX rig, shop by TT length (same as your roadie) and then see if it has adequate standover.

good luck

atp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.