Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my ride last weekend I encountered a few large group rides along the coast. On the first group, I arrived at a stop sign just before a large group arrived at the corner to my right. I had the right of way, but I waved them through. I figured they would be moving faster than me (I was riding solo) and that they would have to navigate around me if I went first.

This seemed to be the reasonable approach, but it did start me thinking. What if I was already rolling and the large group came along? Do they pass? Do I hold my line and they just work around me? What is the best way for a solo rider to handle situations like this?

Later that day I observed a similar situation, only this time a solo rider pulled in front of a large group and they had to navigate around him. I was taking break on the roadside, but I could hear several 'encouraging' words from members of the group as they passed.

I'm sure others have encountered situations like these. How have you handled them?
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,611 Posts
Happens all the time around here, several different shop rides use many of the same roads so groups and invididuals are always passing.

The rider(s) overtaking should call out "passing" in a loud clear voice, the leaders should move left in the lane and signal behind that everybody behind needs to move over too.

The riders being overtaken should single file and move to the right (within safety/reason).

In practice what frequently happens is the fast group (hammerheads) get a bit carried away with the "passing" call... as you've experienced. And since everyone is quasi-racing, the people in the back who are desperately holding the draft take stupid risks and pass the slower riders too closely. Fun ensues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Creakyknees said:
In practice what frequently happens is the fast group (hammerheads) get a bit carried away with the "passing" call... as you've experienced. And since everyone is quasi-racing, the people in the back who are desperately holding the draft take stupid risks and pass the slower riders too closely. Fun ensues.
Ideally you call it out as soon as you can. Of course making the call doesn't mean the rider will cooperate, such as the case where the rider pulled out in front of the group. Even still, I don't think "encouragment" helps the situation, really. If anything, they should tell the rider, "Let us pass you next time, thanks," or something more direct.
 

·
vexatious enigma
Joined
·
4,696 Posts
Last week on one of my rides I came up on a group of riders with Cervelos, Ridleys, and various other fancy high dollar bikes. I thought that they were going to be much faster than I was but I came up on to the rear quite fast and had to tag along until I could pass on the road. I just gave them plenty of room and had no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
What is the etiquette if you would like to fall in and draft?

Is that always frowned on?

How about if you’d like to pull for a while?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
finman50 said:
What is the etiquette if you would like to fall in and draft?

Is that always frowned on?

How about if you’d like to pull for a while?
Ride up to them, or let them ride up to them and ask. "Mind if I sit in, maybe take a pull?"

The worst they can say is no and you go back on your own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
The correct response is to grenade your water bottles out just as the group passes you, causing mass panic and a general pileup. If you can time it with something else going on, like a large truck passing or a dog, so they can't figure out whose bottles they are, you get bonus points! :D
 

·
Is it the future yet?
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
The correct response is to grenade your water bottles out just as the group passes you, causing mass panic and a general pileup.
LOL.:lol:

I just usually yell "Whatever!", "Think So?", and "Oh Yeah?", to the people in the group as they pass me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
finman50 said:
What is the etiquette if you would like to fall in and draft?

Is that always frowned on?

How about if you’d like to pull for a while?
If I come off a side road I usually fall in at the tail or a large gap but I don't feel comfortable breaking into their line unless I'm sure I can hold their pace and they seem friendly. I figure so long as you don't disrupt what they are doing you're cool. All too often I've come up on some of the local shop "teams" and they just act like d*cks right off the bat. Other groups have invited me to join in after running into them again at a rest point or convenience store stop.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
Rider5200 said:
This seemed to be the reasonable approach, but it did start me thinking. What if I was already rolling and the large group came along? Do they pass? Do I hold my line and they just work around me? What is the best way for a solo rider to handle situations like this?
The best way for a solo rider to handle this is to keep doing what you are doing. Hold your line and ride predictably. They'll go around you if and when they can. It's not your problem to solve.

The only problem case could be if they are passing you at a time when you need to go left. In that case, you might have to wait until they pass unless they let you through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
What if you catch a solo rider and want a break do you sit on his wheel or pass??

I did this the other day on a long ride but I caught him pulled along side had a small chat and asked if I could sit behind him a bit when I was ready to go I moved up and let him hang for a while then resumed my pace.. I think everyone won?

What say you??
 

·
Blah, Blah, Blah
Joined
·
598 Posts
MT Road said:
What if you catch a solo rider and want a break do you sit on his wheel or pass??

I did this the other day on a long ride but I caught him pulled along side had a small chat and asked if I could sit behind him a bit when I was ready to go I moved up and let him hang for a while then resumed my pace.. I think everyone won?

What say you??
I tend to agree with this approach, though nothing ticks me off more then riding with a small group or 1-3 extra people and some chump just tags on the back without communicating anything.
I've got really huge issues with it when I am riding with my wife and some body jumps on without saying anything. I rarely get to ride with my wife and last thing I want is some one tagging along for a free ride. I equate it to going out to dinner and some stranger coming up and sitting at your table while in the middle of conversation.

It's a strange nuance I have.
 

·
TWD
Joined
·
540 Posts
I think that "jerk" behavior perceived by some when a large, racing'ish type group passes them is because the group doesn't shoot the breeze, make a nice bike comment or other when they pass a solo rider. Solo's please understand that 80% of the group in a racing crowd is hanging on for dear life and just trying to breath through their nose to not look totally zone 5.
Now if they are riding a TT bike I make no excuse for them :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,633 Posts
Ain't that many riders here in Central CT and most any time I encounter 1 or more going my way, there's at least a friendly greeting. It doesn't take much time or effort to figure out if we're close enough to the same speed to make riding together for a while appealing and if it is, I ask.

If they're blowin by me, I do like Mohair Chair says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
Reminds me of something

Spinfinity said:
Ain't that many riders here in Central CT and most any time I encounter 1 or more going my way, there's at least a friendly greeting. It doesn't take much time or effort to figure out if we're close enough to the same speed to make riding together for a while appealing and if it is, I ask.

If they're blowin by me, I do like Mohair Chair says.
One time down on Tryon Street I passed you and your wife, and I barely slowed down enough to say hello before putting my head down and hammering on. I was doing a timed run on the little time-trial course I measured out down there years before, but I don't think I ever explained that. Long-belated apologies for my rudeness.

Glad to hear you're back on the commute. Was your right-turn lane incident on Main at Brewer? I often get that there.

Couple of serious headwind mornings early this week, huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
silent drafters

onrhodes said:
I tend to agree with this approach, though nothing ticks me off more then riding with a small group or 1-3 extra people and some chump just tags on the back without communicating anything.
I've got really huge issues with it when I am riding with my wife and some body jumps on without saying anything. I rarely get to ride with my wife and last thing I want is some one tagging along for a free ride. I equate it to going out to dinner and some stranger coming up and sitting at your table while in the middle of conversation.
Aw man, I HATE that. Used to live in Houston TX, and lots of cyclists, skaters, joggers all exercised in the same loop. I've seen people get nasty when asked to stop sitting on my wheel. More than once I'd be out riding with my wife, and some clown would come sit on, and just stay there for miles and miles. Freakin' creepy, IMO.

Once saw a female friend cyclist ask someone to please don't draft me and she got this nice response: "You don't own this f-ing track!" and sped off.

Another PITA were the rollerbladers... some of these idiots would draft you - literally with their head up your ass -- and not say a word. Very unsafe, as last time I checked, the brakes on rollerblades don't have the stopping power of a good road caliper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,633 Posts
Main and Maple, an intersection I usually avoid by taking Naubuc Ave. It was too hard to get there from Griswold ST that morning.

Rachel thinks you're really fast since you blew by us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,471 Posts
2 options.

grodo said:
Aw man, I HATE that. Used to live in Houston TX, and lots of cyclists, skaters, joggers all exercised in the same loop. I've seen people get nasty when asked to stop sitting on my wheel. More than once I'd be out riding with my wife, and some clown would come sit on, and just stay there for miles and miles. Freakin' creepy, IMO.

Once saw a female friend cyclist ask someone to please don't draft me and she got this nice response: "You don't own this f-ing track!" and sped off.

Another PITA were the rollerbladers... some of these idiots would draft you - literally with their head up your ass -- and not say a word. Very unsafe, as last time I checked, the brakes on rollerblades don't have the stopping power of a good road caliper.
When you get tired of pulling along this freeloader, you can take it as a training opportunity. Step up the pace for awhile, 3 or 4 minutes, then step it up some more. Eventually, you'll blow him off by attrition, getting a good workout in the process. If you should flag: pull off, slow down, and say, "Ok, your turn!" You'll get rid of the guy either way. :p:
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,611 Posts
Travis said:
I think that "jerk" behavior perceived by some when a large, racing'ish type group passes them is because the group doesn't shoot the breeze, make a nice bike comment or other when they pass a solo rider. Solo's please understand that 80% of the group in a racing crowd is hanging on for dear life and just trying to breath through their nose to not look totally zone 5.
Now if they are riding a TT bike I make no excuse for them :)

The language I was thinking about is a bit more harsh. Case in point, there is a Tue/Thu club ride hammerfest called the Popsicle Ride. They start in 2 groups, A and B, A being faster and rolling out first.

Last week a lady in my club rode with the A group, got dropped with maybe 5 miles to go on a long straight multi-lane boulevard. She was riding along chatting with another lady, a newbie to the ride, telling her how nice the club is etc.

About that time. the Pop B catches up to them and the hammerhead on the front yells "get out of the f---ing way!"

That's what I meant by "language"
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top