Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I know what I want to shoot when I go out, sometimes I don't.

Today I didn't.

Normally I like a lot of views of the Washington Monument like this one of Commuter Guy going home last night.

It was a nice photo with lots of layers and points of view but didn't give me any ideas.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I get up this morning hoping to make it over to the Washington Monument before they turn the lights off.

Close but no cigar. I was just crossing the intersection of Constitution and 17th when the lights went out (note to self; get there before 6:30 next time).

There wasn't a cloud to be seen so I didn't have much hope of a wonderful sky but since I was up and there anyway I got the camera out to see what I could see.

The morning slowly got brighter as I slowly got colder, still I was getting some fairly good shots. I couldn't figure out how they all went together though.....

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I noticed the first rays of the rising sun lighting up top of the monument. The light moved down the monument (555' high) fairly quickly.

Kind of neat to see.

Then I noticed the reflection of the monument in the flag poles.

That was good too.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cold and not all that thrilled with my photos I headed down the hill towards work.

And then I saw it. Passing by the World War II Memorial it jumped out at me.

Now that is an idea worth getting out of bed for.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey MB1 Great post!

not to be annoying because I know you've probably answered this before.. my daughter wants to know what kind of camera you use.

Love the pics of DC, always impressive

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has very little to do with the camera.

Potential Roadkill said:
not to be annoying because I know you've probably answered this before.. my daughter wants to know what kind of camera you use.

Love the pics of DC, always impressive
What you have to do is get pretty much any camera and learn how to use it. That and think about what you are photographing.

People post images here taken with all sorts of cameras, even some pretty nice shots taken with their camera phones.

My DSLR is a Canon 10D (which in terms of digital cameras is several generations old) my Point-n-Shoot is a Nikon CoolPix 4300 (Oh yea, my big camera is a Hasselblad H1, but I never post those photos). There is very little difference between the quality of the images from either camera. Pretty much the only things I do to my images before posting is to resize, crop and straighten.

I set the cameras to take saturated images-usually by putting the presets to "Cloudy" on the Canon and "Sunrise" on the Nikon. Then I take lots of photos and post a few.

Of course is doesn't hurt to live, ride and photograph in a place with lots of water, statues and monuments

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Beautiful last shot there MB. Very nice. Like you've said many times before. I think the key is taking lots and lots of pics. And why not? It's fun. For my Death Valley post (which had so so pics but what the heck) I took 360 shots over two rides. I was having so much fun I didn't realize how many I took and was shocked when I maxed out a 1 gig chip. If nothing else, this forum has really gotten me back into the joy of just taking pics to take them.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
PS: Thanks for the advice on the auto settings (i.e. overcast) on the camera. I hadn't thought of that before and am going to play around with the different settings on my next ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts