Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doc's orders...I have been instructed to cut carbs down to a minimum at least for now...

I have just started my research into other avenues of "energy"...legal energy that is:)

1. Anyone abide by the "high fat diet" on purpose and see benefits on par with carbs as energy?

2. Also, I am also puzzled as to what I should ingest DURING my endurance events?? What can I use instead of carb drinks for equal energy??
 

·
Pandesal Peddler
Joined
·
146 Posts
Low fat chicken,beef and pork(the other white meat)

Careful of your cholesterol can be just as lethal as high sugar level.

Have egg whites and whole wheat toast.

oatmeal is a slow burner for a few hour ride.

this has been my regimen for dualathlons and a bunch of 5k and 10k runs in 2010

good luck:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Why low carb? T2D? Or other reasons.

Stephen Phinney did a lot of the low and VLCKD diet work.

Here is a recent review: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-1-2.pdf

We did some work on this as well. The first two weeks WILL suck. But after an adaptation to a low carb/high fat diet, you will begin to feel better. Endurance performance up to about 75& (80% if you are special) of VO2 max is not impaired after the adaptation. But stuff above Lactate threshold is very difficult and.or short lived.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Abstract/2007/08000/Low_carbohydrate_Diets_and_Performance.7.aspx

http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/2097/731/1/RosenkranzIJSNEMLowCarb2007.pdf
 

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
16,999 Posts
I've been very low carb for 7 years. Once the adjustment period is over, your energy will return. It can take up to 3 months for the body to fully adjust.

I eat nuts during long bike rides.
 

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sdeeer said:
Why low carb? T2D? Or other reasons.

Stephen Phinney did a lot of the low and VLCKD diet work.

Here is a recent review: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-1-2.pdf

We did some work on this as well. The first two weeks WILL suck. But after an adaptation to a low carb/high fat diet, you will begin to feel better. Endurance performance up to about 75& (80% if you are special) of VO2 max is not impaired after the adaptation. But stuff above Lactate threshold is very difficult and.or short lived.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Abstract/2007/08000/Low_carbohydrate_Diets_and_Performance.7.aspx

http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/2097/731/1/RosenkranzIJSNEMLowCarb2007.pdf

I want to prevent T2D to answer your Q. I am guessing that a high fat diet can/will lead to cholesterol issues. Is this true as far as you know??
 

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MikeBiker said:
I've been very low carb for 7 years. Once the adjustment period is over, your energy will return. It can take up to 3 months for the body to fully adjust.

I eat nuts during long bike rides.

Hmm...I am wondering if doing what you do will work during 3 to 12 hour races??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
rydbyk said:
I want to prevent T2D to answer your Q. I am guessing that a high fat diet can/will lead to cholesterol issues. Is this true as far as you know??
In short, a high fat diet in Negative EB will not (likely) lead to a cholesterol problem.

With out getting too technical or political....It is about energy balance. Negative EB will (tend to) improve markers of disease. Another recent study showed the benefits of a reduced carbohydrate diet: http://www.springerlink.com/content/r1x1143pl42737u8/fulltext.pdf

In positive energy balance, all bets are off. Its a "moving" of carbon issue in a simple sense. When you are in chronic positive energy balance, you have a carbon back up. It spills over into the blood. I am not going to get too technical about which is the "least dangerous" to have in your blood while in positive EB, etc.

I am in the "earn your carbs" camp. The more work (glycogen lowering exercise) you do, the more carbs you earn. The less you do (or the more sedentary you are), the less carbohydrates you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
rydbyk said:
Hmm...I am wondering if doing what you do will work during 3 to 12 hour races??
What tipped your doc off to this idea. An OGTT or high fasting glucose?

Do you know how many carbs and total calories you are eating?

I am supprised that you would have been given this advice if you are training and racing endurance events unless you are really overeating......

What is your training like?
 

·
always right sometimes
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
sdeeer said:
What tipped your doc off to this idea. An OGTT or high fasting glucose?

Do you know how many carbs and total calories you are eating?

I am supprised that you would have been given this advice if you are training and racing endurance events unless you are really overeating......

What is your training like?
Uhh..hmm...

High Fasting Glucose 3 separate times that ended up being just a bit higher than normal. Not sure how many carbs I was eating. Never cared, because I am on my bike a ton...

Doc did not recommend or even mention any alternative (didn't ask) to high carb diet for energy/events. He just highly recommended that I eat minimal carbs..

Pretty frustrating to say the least..I need to figure out a way to still be competitive with an altered diet I guess? I went to a prediabetic class at the hospital. I was the ONLY one there that was fit, fairly young and has no history of diabetes in the family.

Everyone kept looking at me...most likely thinking "Why is he here??".

First thing the teacher said to me when I checked in was "Why are you here, you are too thin and too young."

The teacher kept insisting that I MUST be Native American, as that is the ONLY thing that would make sense. I am not Native American....although I think it would be neat if I was..ha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
Creakyknees said:
lolz... and when is this not the case?

True. But when you are on the VLCKD, you can not do the high intensity stuff. There is not enough glucose for glycolysis, and exercise stops.

On a "normal" diet, exercise at that intensity sucks, but can be done.

That is what I meant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Sounds like your doc may overreacting or over treating a minimally abnormal blood test. Maybe ask to see an endocrinologist for a second opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,540 Posts
Carb confusion

rydbyk said:
Doc's orders...I have been instructed to cut carbs down to a minimum at least for now...

I have just started my research into other avenues of "energy"...legal energy that is:)

1. Anyone abide by the "high fat diet" on purpose and see benefits on par with carbs as energy?

2. Also, I am also puzzled as to what I should ingest DURING my endurance events?? What can I use instead of carb drinks for equal energy??
I'm wondering if your doc is not confused (as many people seem to be) about the difference between high glycemic index carbohydrates (sugars, simple starches) and low GI carbs as found in most vegetables and many fruits. It's the high GI carbs that are generally the problem for diabetic tendency folks. I'd say you should hook up with a dietician who is familiar with T2D and listen to their advice rather than to a typical doctor whose nutritional training is minimal.
 

·
What the what???
Joined
·
12,702 Posts
rydbyk said:
Doc's orders...I have been instructed to cut carbs down to a minimum at least for now...

I have just started my research into other avenues of "energy"...legal energy that is:)

1. Anyone abide by the "high fat diet" on purpose and see benefits on par with carbs as energy?

2. Also, I am also puzzled as to what I should ingest DURING my endurance events?? What can I use instead of carb drinks for equal energy??
I am not a doctor/nurse/dietician. I don't do endurance events, so I can't really speak to your second question. But I can give you my personal experience with a fat vs. carbs diet I did a few years ago.

I did the Atkins thing starting with cutting my daily carbohydrate intake to 20g or less / day. With Atkins, it's called the Induction phase. No more bread, no rice, no sugar, no starches. The only pasta I ate was a brand called Dreamfields which is very low carb (and actually pretty tasty) but even that had to be proportioned carefully. My diet mostly consisted of eggs, meats, cheeses and some vegetables. I did not monitor the amount of fat I ate at all, only carbs. If it was low or no-carb, though, I ate as much of it as I wanted.

I never really noticed any negative change in energy level. Part of that, however, may be due to the fact that I also started to lose weight. A lot of weight. I went from 300lbs. at my heaviest when I started the diet, down to 200lbs. I didn't do any additional exercising. All I did was cut the carbs.

I plan on going back on the diet again at some point as my weight has slowly crept back up since I stopped. I stopped it because of the expense (proteins are generally more expensive than carbs) and the hassle of having to plan a separate meal from the rest of the family.

Again, just my experience. YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,540 Posts
Carb confusion

Opus51569 said:
My diet mostly consisted of eggs, meats, cheeses and some vegetables. I did not monitor the amount of fat I ate at all, only carbs. If it was low or no-carb, though, I ate as much of it as I wanted.
Most vegetables are nearly (except for the fiber) 100% carbohydrate. Again, people are confused in thinking that only sugars and other high glycemic index foods are carbohydrates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
rydbyk considering your circumstances I would go see a registered Dietitian. No offense to doctors but they have little nutrition training (maybe one college level nutrition course). The fact that your doctor suggested a low carb diet with no other advice or alternatives only goes to show he knows little about nutrition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Most vegetables are nearly (except for the fiber) 100% carbohydrate. Again, people are confused in thinking that only sugars and other high glycemic index foods are carbohydrates.
Yes, but the amount of digestible carbohydrate per whatever unit you want to use is very low when compared to grains.

Bottom line is that you can eat a lot of salad, but not get a lot of calories out of it, so you burn through your stores of carbohydrate faster and start using fat as a primary fuel source sooner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
I know I have seen studies, when reading some of Jack Daniels' work, which indicate that high fat diets have proven to be beneficial for athletes. When we are training hard our bodies need more of everything, not just carbs. So balancing out your protein, carbs, and fat is probably still a good idea--even though you are eating a lot more fat than your average Joe and an amount that would be unhealthy for a sedentary person.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top