Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rate the level of difficulty of the following endurance sports in order of most difficult to least: running, xc skiing, rowing, cycling, swimming

1. running
2. xc skiing
3. swimming
4. rowing
5. cycling

comments?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
1) swimming - I die if I fail
2) running - bones and ligaments just break apart.
3a) xc skiing - always has the highest v02 maxes
3b) rowing - right there with skiing
5) cycling - can coast for days.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
rowing in a skull type racing rowboat for endurance distances. who could stay cooped up in a wee boat for endless hours? At least a runner, cyclist, skier can stop walk around stretch, grab refreshments from road stand.

but I have no experience doing endurance anything other than century rides

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
Hardest to easiest:

Swimming - it's hard and if you can't do it you die.
XC skiing - it's hard and I hate the cold. All I know is that too long in the cold and you die so I avoid it.
Running - this is what I do if something is going to kill me. "Oh my God I'm going to die in this situation" invokes running as a natural reflex"
Rowing - it's hard. I picture people in life boats doing it to avoid dyeing.
Cycling - it's easy for me and without it I think I'd die.

I don't want to die. Ever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1) swimming. An activity designed soley to keep one cool while drinking beer should never be turned into a competition, unless that competition includes the drinking of beer.

2) the rest are equal.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so, cycling is the easiest? I was just curious what cyclists think about the difficulty level of their sport compared to others. I did both running and rowing in college, back then I wasn't an avid cyclist. I can still row (apparently I have good arm/back genetics, slender but ripped and packed with right fiber composition), but has pretty much gave up running due to knees

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1) swimming - I die if I fail
2) running - bones and ligaments just break apart.
3a) xc skiing - always has the highest v02 maxes
3b) rowing - right there with skiing
5) cycling - can coast for days.
VO2 max varies with protocol though. XC skiing will tend to give higher VO2 due to more muscle recruitment (arm and upperbody).

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
1) Running - high impact exercise is a killer on my joints and feet.
2) Rowing - Rigorous upper body workout for sure.
3) Cycling - I always make sure I include some good hills to get my heart rate up to VO2 max.
4) XC Skiing - No matter how steep the hills are, for some reason I never get my heart rate as high as cycling, nor for anywhere near as long. I usually ski hard enough to stay warm.
5) Swimming - I do this for relaxation, not for hard exercise. It's good for loosening up.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
My grandfather told me to never get old. It's not panning out the way I planned but I'm trying like hell.
There's only one option to avoid getting old and I don't like that option, so I'll stick with getting old.

·
Registered
432 Posts
2) Rowing - Rigorous upper body workout for sure.
Of course it depends what kind of boat you're rowing, but if it's a racing shell, you're on a moving seat and use both upper and lower body during the rowing stroke.

Having done all 5 listed sports at a competitive level, all are difficult depending on your effort. I'd list them as equal difficulty if you go all out in each. If you're asking about which is the most technical, which is harder for a particular individual, or which gives you the best overall workout, then the order would be different and subject to opinion.

·
Registered
21,641 Posts
Rate the level of difficulty of the following endurance sports in order of most difficult to least: running, xc skiing, rowing, cycling, swimming

1. running
2. xc skiing
3. swimming
4. rowing
5. cycling

comments?
Underspecified question. By "hardest" do you mean most difficult to master? Or are you talking about physical exercise? If the latter, then the question makes no sense because you can work as hard or as easy as you want in any of these. Cycling and running engage the legs almost exclusively, so the other three work more muscles but they don't work the cardiovascular system any harder.

Restate the question to address what your question really is.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
craiger_ny said:
I don't want to die. Ever.
craiger_ny said:
My grandfather told me to never get old... I'm trying like hell.
in the short term, you can probably accomplish one of the two, but not both.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.