Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a bike shop and the owner was mentioning to a customer that on rides of 2hrs or less he drinks water and would not take Gatorade or Cytomax or one of the others. His reasoning was that the body stores enough energy for a 2 hour ride. He also said that people who drink a lot of these energy drinks wonder why they don't lose any weight, no matter how much riding they do. I'm in that camp.

I drink Gatorade on almost any ride, but I'd sure like to drop about 3-4 lbs.

What do other people do?

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
On a two hour ride, I only take along water. Your body have enough energy reserves to easily last two hours of cycling. Energy drinks are mostly water and sugar. people don't need more sugar in their eating plans.

· Registered
2,620 Posts
Water only for under two hour rides.

I usually take a banana to eat, but that is 99% for the social aspect. We always pit stop at the "turnaround" and end up visiting (& eating our snack).

On longer rides I try to stick with maltodextrin based drinks.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
It depends on how strong you want to finish at the end of the ride. If the ride isn't really intense and you're trying to lose weight, sure, stick with water. If you are on the Tuesday Night World Championship Ride, a real race, or a harder training ride of some sort, you'll feel pretty sh*tty by the end if you don't take in a few extra calories.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
I'm ok with plain water for rides up to two hours if I eat a decent breakfast before the ride.

But you may or may not be. It's one of those things that depends on the individual, their fitness, how hard they are riding, etc.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to drink only water

I read somewhere that I should be taking in some sugar during a ride and so I started in with the Gatorade. I never felt I needed that stuff before I read that I should have some. The power of advertising, I guess.

· The Dropped 1
670 Posts
If I'm on a recreational pace ride, just water is fine. Lately I've been doing HEED for hour rides, but it's just to keep my pace/energy up because I usually have a snack around 3:15, ride at 5, and don't eat until 7:30, so I need some calories from somewhere or I'd be ravenous halfway through the ride.

Tonight I'm hitting up my first crit practice and thinking about taking some Clif Shot Electrolyte with caffeine for extra energy to keep up. Not sure how long I can sit on the saddle due to a sensitive few spots, but at least I'll have the energy to ride ;)

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
It depends on when I ride, the intensity I plan to ride, and the weather.

When I ride after work, it's never more than 2 hours and it's almost always just water. I figure by 5:00 PM, I don't need to take in any more calories for the ride. If I ride in the morning, I'm far more likely to need extra calories to get through a ride, especially if it is a high intensity ride. Usually I take one bottle of water, and one bottle of gatorade. I start with the water, and drink the gatorade last. A lot of times, if the ride is casual, I might not even get to the gatorade, or most of it will be left when I get home.

The other consideration is the weather. If I am riding on a hot day, even for less than 2 hours, I will bring gatorade or cytomax for the electrolytes, because I know I will sweat a lot of them out. I'm talking about temperature in the high 80s.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
That used to be me. I'd drink 1.5-2 bottles (20oz) of Heed/G20 or similar in a 2 hr ride. That was 2 yrs ago. Since I've starteed actually training and not just riding, it's just been water and I can get by on 1 bottle of water in a 1.5 hr ride. Now, when it gets warmer (temps have been fairly comfy here as of late) I'll probably go to a small bottle of electrolyte drink and water. If I do a crit, I'll use a sports drink.

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Always

I use either Gatorade or E-Load on every ride. If I am riding 2 hours or less and it is not HOT I will use one bottle. If I am going for longer than 2 hours I always take 2 bottles. Ingesting some sugar and electrolytes is always helpful when riding. The calories are not that high, anyone trying to lose weight should look elsewhere before cutting sports drink calories.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
While I agree a lot with Hammer nutrition, they're still trying to sell you their products. Just sayin. (I use some of them....)

· Registered
136 Posts
pretender said:
For anything over an hour, you shortchange your performance and subsequent recovery by not taking in calories.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

I use there products all the time, and they work well for me, but every individual has unique needs. For me 2 hours easy is no problem with just water.

If it is a hard ride I take calories for everything over 90 minutes

· Registered
188 Posts
It all depends, when I ride its usually between 2am to 5:30am and I dont usually eat much for breakfast. I eat a pasta dinner night before and that usually keeps me going for anything under 2 hours. All I take is some Oolong tea and if im out more than 2 hours ill munch on a fig newton or 2 to tide me over.

For example yesterday, I rode 3 and half hours fairly hard. ate oatmeal and fruit for breakfast and ate 1 small fig biscuit to shut my stomach up. If im going more than 2.5 hours I eat some oatmeal or something, less than that nothing or a few dates with almond butter.

Everybody is different on what they can stomach while riding, and what they can eat before they head out.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Oversane said:
He also said that people who drink a lot of these energy drinks wonder why they don't lose any weight, no matter how much riding they do. I'm in that camp.
I can't imagine this makes any significant difference when it comes to weight loss. How could it possibly matter if you consume the calories when riding, or at dinner or lunch or as snacks?

By what possible mechanism could drinking energy drinks when riding prevent someone from losing weight "no matter how much riding they do"? Do they change the laws of thermodynamics, bring your basal metabolism to a grinding halt, inhibit work rate during exercise (of course not, actually increase work rate if effort is long/hard enough).

"Energy drinks" wouldn't have any specific effect, as opposed to calories from any other source or at any other time.

· Registered
2,092 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I can't imagine this makes any significant difference when it comes to weight loss. How could it possibly matter if you consume the calories when riding, or at dinner or lunch or as snacks?

By what possible mechanism could drinking energy drinks when riding prevent someone from losing weight "no matter how much riding they do"? Do they change the laws of thermodynamics, bring your basal metabolism to a grinding halt, inhibit work rate during exercise (of course not, actually increase work rate if effort is long/hard enough).

"Energy drinks" wouldn't have any specific effect, as opposed to calories from any other source or at any other time.
The calories consumed while riding through the use of sports drinks on the bike instead of water are unnecessary. You will not eat more after the ride because you only consumed water, so those calories saved by drinking only water instead of a supplement will reduce your total daily caloric intake.

This is what will allow you to lose weight faster than if you used the sports drink.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
ewitz said:
The calories consumed while riding through the use of sports drinks on the bike instead of water are unnecessary. You will not eat more after the ride because you only consumed water, so those calories saved by drinking only water instead of a supplement will reduce your total daily caloric intake.

This is what will allow you to lose weight faster than if you used the sports drink.
Sure, just like if you avoid "extra" caloric consumption at any other point in the day.

· Registered
3,230 Posts
I may be missing the boat, here, but if I am going to be riding at an intensity where I am burning lots of carbohydrates, say for an hour intense ride at, near, or over threshold, I will use an energy drink and I am thankful for it. Two hours at low intensity -- nah.
I think it makes a difference by the end of the ride. That's my sense.

· In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
Maybe its just my perception/suggestability, but I think a half bottle (small) of Accelerade during my daily 1-hour tri workouts has helped my recovery significantly. I also drink about another half of plain water. So for me, its not just about what gets me through the ride, but what leaves me ready for the next one.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
ewitz said:
The calories consumed while riding through the use of sports drinks on the bike instead of water are unnecessary.
The question isn't what is necessary, but what is optimal, for performance and subsequent recovery.

We all have a limited amount of time for training, and presumably want to gain as much fitness as possible during that time. 200-250 calories per hour keeps your muscles firing, and you easily expend much more than that.

IMO restricting calories during your workouts is putting the cart before the horse.

(Let's assume we are talking about cyclists wanting to get fit. Not those overweight women at the gym, shuffling along on the treadmill, guzzling away on a big bottle of Gatorade.)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.