Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new road rider, I'm finding there's something of an art to gulping down many of these essentials in a manner that allows you to swallow without tasting (no comments from the peanut gallery, please). So far, I've only tried Hammer Gel products. The energy boost occurs about 20 minutes after ingesting and the taste is less than favorable.

Can anyone recommend a decent tasting gel with rapid absorbtion?

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's expensive, but inervitene cola flavor is delicious... in my opinion anyway. It tastes like coca-cola syrup. I actually look forward to taking a gulp during races (when I remember).

Hammer Gel Raspberry is pretty good, too. Have you tried that one?

·
Registered
467 Posts
sianne said:
Hammer Gel Raspberry is pretty good, too. Have you tried that one?
The Hammer Gel raspberry is really good.

I think it is all about finding a flavor you like.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
The ultimate energy bar

Fig Newton. Tastes good, carries well, good quality carbs, easy to chew. "Synthetic" energy bars, drinks, and gels have nothing (except salt) beyond what a Fig Newton offers.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Fig Newton. Tastes good, carries well, good quality carbs, easy to chew. "Synthetic" energy bars, drinks, and gels have nothing (except salt) beyond what a Fig Newton offers.
I agree, & would add bananas. They are easy to carry, have lots of potassium, which helps to ward off cramps, easy to chew, get into the bloodstream very quickly.

·
Banned
608 Posts
real stonie said:
Can anyone recommend a decent tasting gel with rapid absorbtion?
I have tried just about every gel made. Carb-Boom is the best tasting, especially over long events. Power Gel is the worst.

Some of the flavors of Hammer Gel, like raspberry and banana, are among the better tasting gels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I'm going to use a gel I prefer Power Gel by power bar. They dont taste bad and seem to work. I'll often take a power gel and follow it up with a cliff bar when I'm on a long ride and starting to feel like I need fuel. That combination works really well for me.
A bottle of Power Bar Endurance is usually in one of my cages on a long ride also. I dont care what anyone says the endurance drink works.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I used to carry whole wheat fig bars, but they just don't have enough calories for me. If you use them, wrap them in alumium foil so you can easily peel 'n eat on the road.

I carry either Power bars (the original sawdust flavor ones) or Clif bars, which are a little easier to get down. For gels, my favorite is GU espresso with extra caffeine. The caffeine is good for a late ride boost. Power bar endurance drink is one of the few drinks I can stomach after more than 4 hours on the bike, when I can no longer tolerate sweet stuff. I always have one bottle of plain water.

Experiment and see what works for you.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Density

ericm979 said:
I used to carry whole wheat fig bars, but they just don't have enough calories for me.
You know, you can eat more than just one :) Admittedly, fig bars are not as dense as a PowerBar, but then recent scientific studies have shown that hardly anything is!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts