Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wish i could enjoy riding the road bike. this numb feet crap is making it harder to want to go for a ride. replaced my shoes and still no change.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
asciibaron said:
i wish i could enjoy riding the road bike. this numb feet crap is making it harder to want to go for a ride. replaced my shoes and still no change.
Have you tried specialized insoles? Those did the trick for me.

If not those, how about high-end Shimano or similar shoes? Heat moldable uppers and lowers could be your ticket.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
You have to put the shoe with the L marked on it on your left foot and the shoe with the R marked on it on the right foot.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
estone2 said:
Have you tried specialized insoles? Those did the trick for me.

If not those, how about high-end Shimano or similar shoes? Heat moldable uppers and lowers could be your ticket.
the insoles made it worse. i went out for a ride yesterday and was noticing that i'mtwisting my foot to avoid hitting the chain stay - i'm riding a Cannondale CAAD9 and they are very fat. i wonder if that is contributing to my problem.

i can ride for hours on my touring bike with SPD's and not suffer this issue. it's something with the road bike/pedals/shoes. i have swap saddles from the factory one to a SSM.

my shoes are not marked with an L or R. is there a way to tell which is which?

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
asciibaron said:
They are usually different colors.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
asciibaron said:
i can ride for hours on my touring bike with SPD's and not suffer this issue. it's something with the road bike/pedals/shoes. i have swap saddles from the factory one to a SSM.
Here's your solution. F*ck the fashion police, ride MTB shoes.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Your foot-twisting is probably contributing to, if not causing, your problems.

What pedals are you using, and have you adjusted your cleat position at all?

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Remove the pedals from your touring bike and use them and the other shoes?

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nOOky said:
Remove the pedals from your touring bike and use them and the other shoes?
i was thinking of doing that to see if that 'fixed" the issue. i might do that for tomorrow's ride.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
asciibaron said:
the insoles made it worse. i went out for a ride yesterday and was noticing that i'mtwisting my foot to avoid hitting the chain stay - i'm riding a Cannondale CAAD9 and they are very fat. i wonder if that is contributing to my problem.

So why not just ride that bike? Same miles, same roads, same amount of exercise. You just won't look like you're "training."

·
Tactle-neck
865 Posts
Your numbness may stem from cleat postion, my guess is that the cleats for the pedals on your touring bike are in a different position relative to the balls of your feet. Do you feel pressure in the same place when you are biking on the CAAD9? You could try to experiment with moving your cleats around.

I think the easiest thing to do would to do what others have said and just swap the pedals out.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FeedTheJoe said:
Your numbness may stem from cleat postion, my guess is that the cleats for the pedals on your touring bike are in a different position relative to the balls of your feet. Do you feel pressure in the same place when you are biking on the CAAD9? You could try to experiment with moving your cleats around.

I think the easiest thing to do would to do what others have said and just swap the pedals out.
i have moved the cleats all over the place and still no relief. the problem is the fat chainstays. where i want to put my feet due to their natural position is impossible. i swapped out the pedals last night and even with the SPD and touring shoes, i was still twisting my ankle to clear the chainstay. the swap has me rubbing the crankarms at the axle as well. it just seems the CAAD is not the frame for me.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Invert the fork. I have seen this method at a few beverage distributors and I assumed it was to provide a more comfortable ride.

Or another thought, how much float do your pedals have?

Is there another brand that would provide more? I have look pedals and the seem to have a lot.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
q_and_a said:
Invert the fork. I have seen this method at a few beverage distributors and I assumed it was to provide a more comfortable ride.

Or another thought, how much float do your pedals have?

Is there another brand that would provide more? I have look pedals and the seem to have a lot.
the issue is that i naturally turn the heel of my foot toward the chainstay when i pedal. the fat chainstay prevents me from riding with my feet in their natural position - i hit the chainstay every time when i pedal standing up.

·
What the what???
12,712 Posts
Switch to platform pedals...c'mon...all the kool kids are doing it... :)

"FREE THE FEET!"

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
[QUOTE- i hit the chainstay every time when i pedal standing up.[/QUOTE]

Don't do that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts