Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying my first fixed gear setup on a Bridgestone RB-1. The bolts for the Eno hub barely make it across the dropouts into the hub. This makes flipping the hub a bit of a problem since the bolts come all the way out when slightly loosened to remove the wheel. Has anyone else had this problem or am I as stupid as everyone says I am?

Larry

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
lgh said:
I am trying my first fixed gear setup on a Bridgestone RB-1. The bolts for the Eno hub barely make it across the dropouts into the hub. This makes flipping the hub a bit of a problem since the bolts come all the way out when slightly loosened to remove the wheel. Has anyone else had this problem or am I as stupid as everyone says I am?

Larry
What is the spacing on your hub? ENO hubs come in 126, 130 and 135 spacing

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Almost sounds

Dave Hickey said:
What is the spacing on your hub? ENO hubs come in 126, 130 and 135 spacing
a little dangerous too, in the event that you may strip the threads if there aren't threads for the bolt to hold on to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The RB-1is spec'd at 126. The axle seems to fit OK. My simple minded assessment is the washers are a bit big or the bolts too short. (Thanks for the quick reply.)

Larry

·
Registered
656 Posts
lgh said:
The RB-1is spec'd at 126. The axle seems to fit OK. My simple minded assessment is the washers are a bit big or the bolts too short. (Thanks for the quick reply.)

Larry
Can you post a picture? I can't imagine the thickness of the dropout and the washer causing that much of a problem if the axel does fit. Also, check with Lynette at White Industries (info 'at' whiteind 'dot' com) she is really responsive and helpful. She can get you longer bolts if that is what you really do need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the bolts should engage at least 5 or mm into the endcaps.
Havent got mine in front of me, but the washer might have a recess for the bolt to sit into.
Do you have that flipped? regardless of steel or alu dropouts, there should be plenty of thread in the bolts to engage in the endcaps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Im not adept at pictures so couldn't post one. Talked to Lynette and she will send some longer bolts. Incidentally, WI has great CS. I have some of their other equipment - hubs, BB - and they have been nothing short of great with their help. Unlike so many CS "departments", they (she) promptly responds to all inquiries and she has answers.

Larry

·
your text here
13,192 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
weltyed said:
i have an old 88 bridgestone RB-3 that i am converting (hopefully this weekend). i am just curious as to why you are using an ENO hub. arent the semi-horizontal dropouts long enough? maybe mine is a bit older, but the dropouts seem long enough that they dont need an ENO.

Mine has vertical dropouts. Be sure to check dropout distance as well since it varies with the different Bridgestones. I kept the Bridgestone catalogue with specs on the diffferent bikes and could get it for you but I'm at work and may not get to it for a few days.

Larry

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i have a 120 spaced wheel and some washer lyin around. i think the spacing is 126, as it was a 6 speed. i have, however, managed to get a 130 and 135 spaced wheel in there. the 135 spaced wheel wasnt the greatest thing to do to that frame. and when i got a flat 30 miles into a ride i could barely get the legs spread to mount the wheel. the 130 is snug, but nothing seems to groan too much.

i gotta say, i love that bike. something about the steel/small tubes/geometry makes for a really nice ride. very comfy. the rb3 was the low-end roadie, but i love it. the only thing i dont like is the heft. with all those gears hanging off that thing now, it makes for a beast. hopefully after its crash diet she will be svelt and ready to roll.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had read somewhere that Bridgestone's 126 was actually 128 to accomodate both 126 and 130. I believe my measurment was about that as well although officially (company specs) it is126.

The Bridgestones apparently have a almost cult-like following. I like mine but, by today's standards, it's a tank. If I like the fixed/SS experience, I think I'll build up a Milwaukee. I live in Wisconsin and it seems the right thing to do.

Larry

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
yeah, when i took possesion of my younger brother's old bridgstone to rebuild i did some research and found the cult. peterson went on to form rivendell, which has quite a following.

i live near the WI border and have thought about the milwaukee, too. i love the headbadge and the orange. i would need to ride one first. but i do love the frame.

another bike to look into is waterford. the old schwinn paramount factory. its located in , of all places, waterford, wi. they have quite a following as well.

i was gonna see how this fixie thing goes and maybe get a milwaukee or waterford. then i started reading the thread about the giant fixie. man, some people are almost militant when it comes to buying a fixie. that and i would have a hard time explaining to my wife why i needed $500 for an orange frame that will only accomodate one gear.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Check out the Gunnar Fixie

weltyed said:
yeah, when i took possesion of my younger brother's old bridgstone to rebuild i did some research and found the cult. peterson went on to form rivendell, which has quite a following.

i live near the WI border and have thought about the milwaukee, too. i love the headbadge and the orange. i would need to ride one first. but i do love the frame.

another bike to look into is waterford. the old schwinn paramount factory. its located in , of all places, waterford, wi. they have quite a following as well.

i was gonna see how this fixie thing goes and maybe get a milwaukee or waterford. then i started reading the thread about the giant fixie. man, some people are almost militant when it comes to buying a fixie. that and i would have a hard time explaining to my wife why i needed $500 for an orange frame that will only accomodate one gear.
Since Waterford builds these as well you shouldn't rule them out.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
like i said, i would still have a hard time explaining why i need $500 for a frame that only accomodates 1 gear. i'm lucky i get away with what i can now.

and i would love a waterford/gunnar. just need to see if this fixie thing works out for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts