Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old ti Airborne Zep road frame laying around. I've begun to think that it would be fun to convert it into a fixte or SS bike using White Industrie's Eno rear hub.

The rear triangle on the Airborne is tight. The dropouts are vertical.

Does anyone have some anectodal experience or even a SWAG that would shed some light on whether or not this conversion would be successful? I plan to order a custom rear wheel from excelsports.com . I'm looking to minimize my risk of having to turn around and sell it on eBay because it doesn't produce proper chain alignment on the bizzaro Airborne geometry.

Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
stuart said:
I have an old ti Airborne Zep road frame laying around. I've begun to think that it would be fun to convert it into a fixte or SS bike using White Industrie's Eno rear hub.

The rear triangle on the Airborne is tight. The dropouts are vertical.

Does anyone have some anectodal experience or even a SWAG that would shed some light on whether or not this conversion would be successful? I plan to order a custom rear wheel from excelsports.com . I'm looking to minimize my risk of having to turn around and sell it on eBay because it doesn't produce proper chain alignment on the bizzaro Airborne geometry.

Thanks for your time!
How tight is the rear triangle? I just read in the new Cycling Plus about a problem with the Eno and a tight rear triangle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Airborne measurements

Dave, thanks for your response.

From the center of the rear dropouts to the chainstay bridge is 13 7/8"

From the center of the rear dropouts to the seatstay bridge/rear brake mount is also 13 7/8"

Measuring from the center of a DuraAce hub on another bike, to the outside of the rear tire (700 x 23 road tire) is 13.5"

So it looks like I'll have about a quarter inch to work with. (?) I don't forsee the possibility of rotating the rear wheel forward with the Eno hub because the tire will hit the seat tube. But if I need to rotate the rear wheel back a bit to get the chainline to work, I should be fine....?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dave Hickey said:
How tight is the rear triangle? I just read in the new Cycling Plus about a problem with the Eno and a tight rear triangle.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Rotating it back is how they got it to work. I'm looking for the article but I can't find it...If memory serves me right, the first time he intalled the wheel he tried rotating it forward and the tire hit the seat tube. He ended up rotating it backwards and it worked fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts