Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a lovely frame on eBay. 126 mm spacing, never built, from one of those european sellers that seems to always have " great stuff"

A Gazelle Champione de Mondiale

Frame of Reynolds 753
Fork of Reynolds 531

Just lovely.

Then My new Carl Strong frameset showed up. In an absolutely uncharacteristic display of self control, I didn't press the BID button.

A never built, never ridden 753 frame from a great builder.

It went for $368 !!!! To the only bidder.

I could cry. :(

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
I scared my wife the other day when she saw 2 frames in my watch list. She asked me very nicely "honey, are you looking or a new frame?" and I answered, " I am always looking." The bikes ended their auction with reserve not met. I wish I knew where these Europeans find these beautiful frames laying around.

· Registered
1,931 Posts
That bike was

toomanybikes said:
I was watching a lovely frame on eBay. 126 mm spacing, never built, from one of those european sellers that seems to always have " great stuff"

A Gazelle Champione de Mondiale

Frame of Reynolds 753
Fork of Reynolds 531

Just lovely.

Then My new Carl Strong frameset showed up. In an absolutely uncharacteristic display of self control, I didn't press the BID button.

A never built, never ridden 753 frame from a great builder.

It went for $368 !!!! To the only bidder.

I could cry. :(
so "you". Shame really. Ah Well there is always Dario......

b21

· Registered
3,096 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, there's a 70's vintage Masi Grand Criterium on eBay (again, I suck at links) for which the BIN price is $5 large.

I thought the guy was out of his mind until I "clicked and looked." I'd be afraid to ride it but OMG, is that thing drop dead gorgeous.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richard said:
On the other end of the spectrum, there's a 70's vintage Masi Grand Criterium on eBay (again, I suck at links) for which the BIN price is $5 large.

I thought the guy was out of his mind until I "clicked and looked." I'd be afraid to ride it but OMG, is that thing drop dead gorgeous.
I'm really not a Masi fan.

But 753 ...........

· merckxman
2,217 Posts
Looking

I took a very close look also, even had a race hanger. Great deal.

I didn't bid. I've had to set some kind of boundaries for what I buy as there is no end to what comes up on ebay and elsewhere. It could drive me crazy. Are you crazy by now?

As it is I just realized I'm up to 7 complete bikes and 3 frames...

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
buying too many bikes is what put me into financial difficulty for some time, I've learned to put a cap on my buying no matter how badly I want a bike :p It's an addiction...

· Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
self-restraint is a virtue. i've held my mouse finger on stuff i "don't need" as i'm trying to put my monies into getting my Gios all together. I just bought 72 spokes to build my wheels, so i'm getting closer. :)

had i bought "other" things instead, i'ld never get that bike finished.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.