Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Got an email from a friend and she is looking to get a bike. Rode years ago, and now restarting. Needs something in the $300-$400 range. I know it's limited, but would love some direction for her. I was thinking Giant. Suggestions are most appreciated.

Rocco from Boston

·
Weed
1,041 Posts
covrc said:
Hi Guys,

Got an email from a friend and she is looking to get a bike. Rode years ago, and now restarting. Needs something in the $300-$400 range. I know it's limited, but would love some direction for her. I was thinking Giant. Suggestions are most appreciated.

Rocco from Boston

You might give the Trek 7.2 FX WSD bike a look. MSRP $420.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Just bought my wife a K2 Trailwind at REI, ~$400

My wife's a casual rider who has flashes of dedication--she'll do 10 miles a week for awhile, then get fired up and want to ride a century to prove she still can. She's never gotten comfortable with drop bars, though. Couple of weeks ago we got a K2 women's flat-bar road bike (I'm almost certain it's a Trailwind or Tailwind, one of those...). It was $449, and we got 15 percent off that on sale. Got Gripshift, which she's getting used to, and room for big tires if she needs 'em (she's running 700x28s now, but there's room for at least 35s in there). Not a bad deal at the price.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Go used?

covrc said:
If you know her size, you can get double the bike (or more) by going with a used model. At this price point, you are at the very "entry level" range, where compromises are made in almost every aspect of the bike. A 3-4 year old used bike would be comparable to something costing $800-1000 new today and would be a much more satisfying bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.