Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have bought a set of Enve 3.4 clincher. It is the old version (rim depth 35/45) with the new Enve brake track and Enve's own hubs.

After I bough the wheels, I became aware that an updated version of the wheels has been released (rime depth 38/42).

My LBS has offered me to swap the old 3.4 with the new 3.4 against a minor extra payment.

However, the new 3.4 will be with DT Swiss 240 hubs.

I am in doubt as to whether it is worthwhile going for new 3.4, taking into account the different hubs, among other factors. I am also eager to get out on the road using the wheels and would prefer not having to wait a month for the new wheels (it will soon be winter again in Scandinavia).

I am not able to do a testride.

Any views as to whether I should go for the new 3.4?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Hi,

I have bought a set of Enve 3.4 clincher. It is the old version (rim depth 35/45) with the new Enve brake track and Enve's own hubs.

After I bough the wheels, I became aware that an updated version of the wheels has been released (rime depth 38/42).

My LBS has offered me to swap the old 3.4 with the new 3.4 against a minor extra payment.

However, the new 3.4 will be with DT Swiss 240 hubs.

I am in doubt as to whether it is worthwhile going for new 3.4, taking into account the different hubs, among other factors. I am also eager to get out on the road using the wheels and would prefer not having to wait a month for the new wheels (it will soon be winter again in Scandinavia).

I am not able to do a testride.

Any views as to whether I should go for the new 3.4?

Thanks.
I would keep the wheels you have, those carbon hubs are pretty cool - and the difference in rim depth won't mean anything meaningful in performance.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I heard not only rim depth... but the newer ones are wider.. they are 27.5 now... that is wide... make sure your frame can handle it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The new Enve SES 3.4 is optimised for 25c tyres, so it would also pay to check that the increased tyre height will not cause clearance issues with your frame seat tube, brake bridge.
Also the tubeless optimised design will limit tyre choice compared to regular clinchers.
It's hard to beat the Enve carbon hubs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts