Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
3.4s are being dropped for 2016 and won't get the newest brake surface.

I know people that have both and you won't get a unanimous answer either way. Some people prefer Zipp, others prefer Enve.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
If you are interested in comparing apples-to-apples wheels, then the Zipp 202 are the more correct wheels to compare to the Enve 3.4 regarding rim depth.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Any idea why? Only carbon rimset I have been lusting for in recent years.

they still have them on their website (unlike 6.7s)... but I've heard the same (to be discontinued) I have the 3.4s and 6.7s love them both for different reasons. Have extralite hubs in my 3.4 and CK R45's in the 6.7..if it's not windy the 6.7s get all the riding time now. As for the ops question I'd chose 3.4 over 303. I think the zipps brake track is better marginally but that's it. Now if 303's get updated to NSW it might be a harder choice. Both quality wheel sets.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
3.4s are being dropped for 2016 and won't get the newest brake surface.
We've been told that the 3.4 is staying.
It's the 6.7 and the 8.9 that are gone.

6.7 has been replaced with the 4.5.
8.9 has been replaced with the 7.8.

Not saying they won't replace the 3.4, it makes sense to, just that we've been told otherwise (authorized dealer).

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
No wonder they are still on the site.. Good to know . Yes the others are gone. If I ever have to warranty my 3.4s.. I'm good.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can't speak to the Zipps, but I put Enve 3.4's on my Pinarello back in 2013.

Pro's: Light, stiff and fast (although slight hum at speed).

Cons: Can get caught in crosswinds and god awful for braking in the wet.

Also not a big fan of the noisy "clacking" DT240S freehub mechanism.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I received a rather vague email from Enve talking about why tubeless wheels are better but could not tell from their website if they now sell tubeless disc 3.4's

I have their non-tubeless 3.4 that I ran tubeless for a while but the bead hook was irregular and they'd only hold air for two days before going flat and breaking the seal (with stans). I'm now running then with tubes and am constantly reminded why tube tires are undependable (compared to either tubeless or tubular). I had sent them that opinion nearly two years ago and asked why they had neither one in disc and I think they were now explaining that they have what I was asking for.
We've been told that the 3.4 is staying.
It's the 6.7 and the 8.9 that are gone.

6.7 has been replaced with the 4.5.
8.9 has been replaced with the 7.8.

Not saying they won't replace the 3.4, it makes sense to, just that we've been told otherwise (authorized dealer).

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
I can't speak to the Zipps, but I put Enve 3.4's on my Pinarello back in 2013.

Pro's: Light, stiff and fast (although slight hum at speed).

Cons: Can get caught in crosswinds and god awful for braking in the wet.

Also not a big fan of the noisy "clacking" DT240S freehub mechanism.
Clean it and lube it. It won't be as loud. Get the 54 tooth drive rings if you don't have them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.