Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone riding Enve rims? I have a chance to get a wheelset at a good price with WI hubs and Enve 25 rims. I was told the rims are NOS, but that's fine with me. I've been riding Bontrager Race X-Lites for the last 10 years, so I can only assume this would be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have built more Enve wheelsets than almost any other rim available, and I build a lot of wheels. Just built these in the photo yesterday. They are extremely popular as custom carbon wheelsets as neither Zipp nor Bontrager provide rims only to anyone, including shops or wheelbuilders. I built almost every model......3.4 6.7 7.8 2.2 etc. With Chris King, White Industries, 240s 180s and even the new Wheels Manufacturing Alchemy hubs. I have plenty of thoughts on them.
You are getting the light weight, shallow climbing rims which are plenty light and climb/accelerate well, but can have some flex/stiffness issues.
Enve wheels perform well and brake well. They dissipate heat well too..............ONLY if you get a good pair. Enve struggles with quality control issues across all models, and it has gotten worse over the last year. Brake track delamination, crumbling side walls, mis-aligned spoke holes, spoke holes that allow nipples to pull through the rim bed, and even rims sent out with the spoke hole molding plugs still cooked into the rims. I have sent many, many, rims back for warranty replacement even before it has seen its first spoke. So.......my advice would be to really investigate your seller and condition of the rims. If you go for new Enve, get them from a wheelbuilder who will build the wheel from your selected components and not a pre-built set from the many places that sell them. You want your wheelbuilder to be able to inspect your rim before it is built. Good luck. They ride great and build easy when not defective. View attachment 317724 Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Spoke Rim

·
Registered
486 Posts
Lol. Ok you win. Hooray! Where Wheelbuilder dot com is sourcing that particular rim has been a topic for some time. Even among Sram reps. I have built them for customers, 404 not 202, by getting them from Sram, cutting out the hub and building with hub of customers choice. Expensive but pretty unique for customer. Sram is like Specialized when it comes to Zipp. Call them and ask them if Zipp rims are available for sale anywhere. They will tell you absolutely not, and they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Lol. Ok you win. Hooray! Where Wheelbuilder dot com is sourcing that particular rim has been a topic for some time. Even among Sram reps. I have built them for customers, 404 not 202, by getting them from Sram, cutting out the hub and building with hub of customers choice. Expensive but pretty unique for customer. Sram is like Specialized when it comes to Zipp. Call them and ask them if Zipp rims are available for sale anywhere. They will tell you absolutely not, and they shouldn't be.
If that's the case then I would imagine that SRAM would have an army of lawyers slapping Wheelbuilder with lawsuits. Those 202 wheel builds can't be that profitable that Wheelbuilder would risk their entire business hawking fakes??

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
WRT Wheelbuilder, they have an exclusive setup with Zipp that predates Sram's acquisition. They also build more wheels than almost all the other smaller builders combined. Wheelbuilder runs a solid business and if you want Zipp rims, rest assured you are getting them on the level with full backing from the company.

·
Registered
486 Posts
WRT Wheelbuilder, they have an exclusive setup with Zipp that predates Sram's acquisition. They also build more wheels than almost all the other smaller builders combined. Wheelbuilder runs a solid business and if you want Zipp rims, rest assured you are getting them on the level with full backing from the company.
Nice. Thanks for this information. Even our Sram rep had no idea how Wheelbuilder was getting their rims.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I want to make it clear that I was in no way attempting to denigrate Wheelbuilder dot com. They are a solid business and have been so for many years. I was trying to state that Zipp rims are not available for individual sale. (which they are not) and that is a fact. It is also a fact that my shop Sram rep had no clue as to how Wheelbuilder was getting these rims. Ergott has made it clear with his factual statement of how and why this is happening. So, back to Enve.

If there are still posters with issues regarding my mistake.............I apologize.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Time to lock this thing up. Enough misinformation on this thread already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.