Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ephedra was advertised as the miracle weight loss component for decades, used for asthma, etc. The advertising became so extreme that people would overdose/take it for too long and die. I do not know a lot about this, other than my roomate's dad's friend supposedly died of a heart attack during a softball game at the age of 40 because of it. It's dangers are there, but if it is used under doctor supervision, shouldn't it be safe?

I am thinking about taking a weight loss supplement that contains ephedra. I am 5'7"/5'8" and 160lbs. I have a spare tire that was with me since birth, and most of the weight goes there or to my legs. At my prime I was 145lbs and still had the big legs and stomach. At that time I was on Atkins, quit Atkins and went to eating healthy (I was on a 1500cal/day for 2 weeks on atkins - I lost almost 1lb/day, decided it wasn't healthy and switched to eating normal and went to 150lbs). I exercised 2-3x a day to drop to that 145/150 weight. A morning run for 45 min (about 5 miles), eat a healthy breakfast, go to school, run or lift weights in gym, and run in the evening (lift weights if I didn't do so in the day). I incorporated a rest 2 days a week - Saturday and Wednesday. I never lost the gut/big legs, despite dropping there.

I went back on my diet/exercise routine a few months ago and I have only lost 1lb. I'm taking in the same amount of calories that I expend, and I truely couldn't lower it if I tried.

Should I take it under the supervision of a doctor? What are the benefits and risks? I couldn't find many risks other than high blood pressure.

Thanks

·
Pedal Master
2,571 Posts
If you're exercising, I don't see the benefit of trying to further increase your hear rate. If you want a metabolic boost start sucking down green tea (whole leaves, not the lipton [email protected]). It'll give you a nice boost of natural antioxidants and caffeine without bloating your gut like sodium packed sodas.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I thought ALL ephrada supplements where pulled from the market/switched over to something else a couple years ago??!

I think you need to stay hydrated on that stuff.. if you dehydrate you are asking for trouble.

iliveonnitro said:
Ephedra was advertised as the miracle weight loss component for decades, used for asthma, etc. The advertising became so extreme that people would overdose/take it for too long and die. I do not know a lot about this, other than my roomate's dad's friend supposedly died of a heart attack during a softball game at the age of 40 because of it. It's dangers are there, but if it is used under doctor supervision, shouldn't it be safe?

I am thinking about taking a weight loss supplement that contains ephedra. I am 5'7"/5'8" and 160lbs. I have a spare tire that was with me since birth, and most of the weight goes there or to my legs. At my prime I was 145lbs and still had the big legs and stomach. At that time I was on Atkins, quit Atkins and went to eating healthy (I was on a 1500cal/day for 2 weeks on atkins - I lost almost 1lb/wk, decided it wasn't health and switched to eating normal and went to 150lbs). I exercised 2-3x a day to drop to that 145/150 weight. A morning run for 45 min (about 5 miles), eat health breakfast, go to school, run or lift weights in gym, and run in the evening (lift weights if I didn't do so in the day). I incorporated a rest 2 days a week - Saturday and Wednesday. I never lost the gut/big legs, despite dropping there.

I went back on my diet/exercise routine a few months ago and I have only lost 1lb. I'm taking in the same amount of calories that I expend, and I truely couldn't lower it if I tried.

Should I take it under the supervision of a doctor? What are the benefits and risks? I couldn't find many risks other than high blood pressure.

Thanks

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ephedra.

Stay away from any over the counter substances that claim to help with weight loss: they usually do not and they are dangerous to your health- period.There are certain appetite suppressants- amphetamine drugs, that may be prescribed for certain cases of obesity, but judiciously and after a careful medical exam. .Ride your bike, spend more calories than you consume daily, continue with a prudent diet and lifestyle, and for the "flat tire" maybe Pilates may help or just plain abdominal exercises like old fashion sit ups.
iliveonnitro said:

I am thinking about taking a weight loss supplement that contains ephedra. I am 5'7"/5'8" and 160lbs. I have a spare tire that was with me since birth, and most of the weight goes there or to my legs. At my prime I was 145lbs and still had the big legs and stomach. At that time I was on Atkins, quit Atkins and went to eating healthy (I was on a 1500cal/day for 2 weeks on atkins - I lost almost 1lb/wk, decided it wasn't health and switched to eating normal and went to 150lbs). I exercised 2-3x a day to drop to that 145/150 weight. A morning run for 45 min (about 5 miles), eat health breakfast, go to school, run or lift weights in gym, and run in the evening (lift weights if I didn't do so in the day). I incorporated a rest 2 days a week - Saturday and Wednesday. I never lost the gut/big legs, despite dropping there.

Thanks

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ru1-2cycle said:
Stay away from any over the counter substances that claim to help with weight loss: they usually do not and they are dangerous to your health- period.There are certain appetite suppressants- amphetamine drugs, that may be prescribed for certain cases of obesity, but judiciously and after a careful medical exam. .Ride your bike, spend more calories than you consume daily, continue with a prudent diet and lifestyle, and for the "flat tire" maybe Pilates may help or just plain abdominal exercises like old fashion sit ups.
Many weight loss drugs that are prescribed have ephedrea in it. I also didn't know that they had a boost in performance?? What makes them banned?

I'm not thinking on taking it to raise my HR-that's a downside, isn't it? I am thinking about taking it to get rid of my excess weight. Pilates/ab exercises won't show if you have a layer of fat covering your 6 pack...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Abs...

They are effective. You need to persist diligently and consistently. There are no easy ways like pills for a trim and fit body. You got to work it!
iliveonnitro said:
Many weight loss drugs that are prescribed have ephedrea in it. I also didn't know that they had a boost in performance?? What makes them banned?

I'm not thinking on taking it to raise my HR-that's a downside, isn't it? I am thinking about taking it to get rid of my excess weight. Pilates/ab exercises won't show if you have a layer of fat covering your 6 pack...

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
iliveonnitro said:

To my knowledge, there are no prescription weight loss drugs which contain ephedra. There are prescription drugs that contain ephedra, but those are bronchodilators for the treatment of athsma.

It doesn't make weight magically disappear. It helps you to burn calories by increasing your heart rate, stimulating muscle tremors, and interfering with sleep patterns. These small increases in muscle utilization add up, meaning that you burn more calories. That's how it helps with weight loss. That, and another side effect is loss of appetite, mostly from a constantly churning stomach.

There is no way around it - to lose weight, you have to eat fewer calories, or burn more of them. And to the way most American minds work, both of those options suck. To the the minds in most healthy bodies, both of those things provide great enjoyment. Most folks who exercise regularly do it because they enjoy it, not because there's some 'need' to, even though that's the way many get started. I've never met an overweight vegetarian.

Get past the fad diets and the miracle supplements. Get a reasonable notion of portion size and caloric levels, and find a number you can live with, that will allow you to lose weight at a couple of pounds a week. Exercise to build some muscle that will increase the amount of calories burned in everyday life, as well as those burned while exercising.

Ephedra is banned because it is a stimulant. It was illegal in the US (not just for racing, but for OTC sale) following a rash of diet-pill related deaths, and later readmitted in a proof of the value of lobbyists. Is it safe? Who knows. More importantly, who cares? Even though diet and exercise might suck in some minds, so does taking this junk - it's simply not cool being twitchy, nervous, and tight-chested all the time. And it's not terribly effective as a diet supplement - for all the bother, it only makes marginal differences in the number of calories burned.

A bit of light reading:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3010678
http://www.ephedrine-ephedra.com/pages/what_is_ephedrine_1234.html
http://www.obesityinamerica.org/medications.html

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
What!?

Not effective as a weight loss supplement? You’re kidding right? When combined with 200mg of caffeine and 25mg Aspirin, it was on of the most effective weight loss supplements ever. One of the main reason it was banned because the big pharmaceutical companies did not want it on the market. it competed too well with phen-phen. See Ephedrine was too cheap and easy to make. So they lobbied congress to get rid of it. You could get it cheap from a<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>place like Mexico</st1></st1:country-region> and other foreign countries fo dirt cheap.

See an effective dosage cost the consumer around $1 or less a dose. Phen-Phen was what 20x more expensive and your doctor had to prescribe it.

What's even better is clembuterol. It asthma medicine and available in most countries BUT the <st1><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1>.
It's even available in kids formula in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1></st1></st1:country-region>banned in the <st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region> because some kids in <st1:state w:st="on"><st1>Texas</st1></st1:state> were giving it to Prized Bulls. The bulls became leaner and held on to more muscle. Studies shown that it help retain muscle during dieting. Now that issue was other cattle were also getting it. It tainted the meat and caused many people to have side effects caused by it.

Now I also worked on a law suit against Twin Lab was being sued. A 19 yr old guy too 12 pills of Ripped Fuel at the same time and died. Well he did take 6x the recommended dose at one time. Who's fault is that? <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt; height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Giovanni\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="https://forums.roadbikereview.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:rolleyes:<!--[endif]-->

How many people die form overdosing on Nyquil every year? Other OTC drugs?

Hell the even banned pesudaphed now. Guys in jail use to grind those up into their espresso drinks for a buzz...<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt;height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Giovanni\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:href="https://forums.roadbikereview.com/images/smilies/eek.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:eek:<!--[endif]--><o></o>

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you cannot lower the calories you're taking in, and if you want to loose weight, you HAVE to burn more calories during the day or you will not loose weight. That's pretty simple.

I would not rely on a supplement to loose weight. I would rely on me getting out of bed an hour earlier and going to the gym and having some discipline on what I eat.

you can check out some bodybuilding - get cut supplements - but me thinks that in the long run, you will have real problems keeping weight off that you loose via supplements vs. lifestyle.

We were all dealt certain hands on our body types and can only do so much to change/improve that. Some very fit people I know have slight love handles - that's just the way it is sometimes. (I do not agree w/ all the stomach stapling that's going on - I think that is a huge cop-out for obese people who have little discipline).

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Read again. "Not terribly effective." It does some good, but isn't worth the side effects or the risks.

But I suppose you do lose weight fairly quickly when your heart leaps directly out of your chest in an attempt to survive the onslaught of such idocy.

The notion that the "big pharms" had it banned because of fen-phen is simply laughable. Fen-phen was pulled years before ephedra was. The reversals of restrictions on ephedra that did occur happend during the same FDA administration that started them, so if anything it was the supplement's lobby that held sway, not the big pharmaceutical firms.

Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) has not been banned. Drug stores had voluntarily (in most locales) restricted access to it in the store because it was being shoplifted way too much - not because it's some wonderful happy-drug on it's own, or because lard-butts were secretly putting the big pharmaceutical firms out of business, but because it's a critical precursor to methamphetamine production. Later, some 40 states came in creating various sales restrictions, and most recently the FDA has created daily and monthly sales restrictions, which in many cases are less restrictive than the state laws. But it remains (and is expected to remain) legal and available.

Facts, it turns out, are stubborn things.

How much ephedra costs vs other diet aids simply doesn't matter. Discipline and self-esteem are free, and far more effective than either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Truth

Ephedrine HCL is still available as an over the counter drug. It is available on-line from many retailers. As stated before, Ephedrine HCL combined with caffiene, proved to be a very effective tool for stimulating weight loss. It has been pointed out that any drug, taken irresponsibly, can be dangerous but it should also be recognized that the human body will attempt to adjust its metabolism to prevent starvation (the body of course failing to realize that losing that 100 lbs of fat is not starvation).

VASOPRO by Mega-pro international is the brand of Ephedrine HCL that I have been taking daily for 5 years. At 5'11" and 350 lbs I started a weight loss program (under doctor's supervision) using the phentermine dexfenfluramine combination. This aided my program of diet and exercise and enabled me to get the quick start I needed to maintain my enthusiasm and led to the loss of 150 lbs in two years. I quit taking the prescription drugs after only a couple of months and began using Ephedrine and caffiene. I typically ride 80 to 100 miles per week and maintain a heartrate of 155 to 160 bpm while riding. I am careful to ensure I am well hydrated (that means drinking at least a gallon of water a day for me) and I resist the temptation to increase my intake of ephedrine.

I make no excuses nor do I have any regrets about taking Ephedrine. I believe that the furor and cries for banning of this drug are quite laughable and even ludicrous if one contrasts the harm caused by smoking and alcohol with the harm caused by Ephedrine. I never heard of harm from second hand ephedrine, and never read an article about a family of four killed in a head on crash by a driver who was driving under the influence of ephedrine. But a witch hunt is a witch hunt I guess.

That's my two cents worth anyway. Thanks for reading and if you have a different opinion that's okay too.

Later,

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let me guess.

danl1 said:
Discipline and self-esteem are free, and far more effective than either.
From your statement I would suppose that you have never been >100 lbs overweight? Self-esteem is not something that comes easily to one who is and to imply that a little discipline and a little self-esteem are all a person needs to go from obese to svelte reeks of pomposity and pretention. I am sure you are a great person, but I would not recommend you as a weight loss counsellor. Sure it is easy to look at an obese person and think, "what a lazy lard-butt" (a term used previously in this thread), but as someone who has struggled with my weight since I was 9 years old (and I'm going on 45) I can tell you that your disdain for me, at my fattest, could have been no greater than my disdain for myself. A person dealing with an eating disorder has to face a lifetime that would scare a heroin addict to death. Consider telling a heroin addict that everyday, three times a day, they would have to use a small amount of heroin, not enough to really satisfy them, just a little bit. Heroin would be available everywhere, and they would constantly be confronted with offers of fresh hot tasty super-sized heroin. That addict is a candidate for recidivism.

I am sorry if I have ranted. I enjoy cycling very much and I know that it does wonderful things for me cardiovascularly and metabolically and I don't want to ever give it up. I don't want to offend other cyclists with my views but I hope you can understand that when a person is very overweight they will, like someone drowning, reach for anything that offers a chance for survival.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
519 Posts
You failed to mention how it has helped you and how much good it has done. Did you try coming off it, for use over 5 years you might be surprised if you come off it your met. might have become dependent on it......

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
hey becky thatcher...

It's perfectly fine that you ranted a bit there on some of the posters here. We tend to be a cynical bunch, I think. But we all believe that a lot of the advertising and promotion we see and hear about weight loss supplements is pure bull. The safest, most effective way to lose weight, and keep it off, is the old fashioned way: eat less, work more.

Problem is, we live in a society of excess. We get ads bombarding us to buy the biggest car, house, use the most resources, and eat the most food. It's crazy.

But I have read too much on the subject of weight control and weight loss. I, too, have struggled with pudge, though certainly never close to the 100lb overweight issue that you mentioned. I am at a stage in my life, 30, where my 200lbs doesn't appear overweight at first glance, but I see myself naked, and I know where it sits. I also participate actively in a sport that values lightness of body, for many reasons, but namely, to battle gravity! It's a matter of survival in a road race, if you want to be the first to the top of the hill, it helps to not be carrying a lot of dead weight.

My suggestion is to visit a REAL Dr. Not the guy on the Super Hydroxy Cut commercials (Dr. John Marshall:rolleyes: , Midwestern University:rolleyes: , In Residency:rolleyes:). Get the low-down on what your weight issues are now, and what to do to make a healthy, long-lasting difference in that. Honestly. Best of luck friend!

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
g-Bike said:
You failed to mention how it has helped you and how much good it has done. Did you try coming off it, for use over 5 years you might be surprised if you come off it your met. might have become dependent on it......

Dependence isn't much of an issue, but it is dangerous, it is a sympathomimetic drug that causes an increase in heart rate, blood pressure, vasoconstriction and can cause central nervous system dysfunction. It was initially noted to help with weight loss in denmark, when a physician noted that obese patients treated with a combination of caffiene, ephedra, and phenobarbital lost weight. The problem is, it can substantially raise your RESTING heart rate and blood pressure, creating a problematic situation when you raise your workout to level 4 and you have any possible coronary or neurologic dysfunction. They reviewed Adverse Events from 1995 to 1997 and found 37 serious cases, including 16 strokes, 10 MI's and 11 sudden deaths. These numbers are rather high when you consider that a survey of five states in 1998 demonstrated that less than 1% of the total population was actually taking any supplementation containing ephedra. Bottom line, don't take it. It is considered a banned substance by almost every athletic body, and will disqualify you from racing. It can cause SEVERE cardiac and neurologic sequelae, and to the poster above who is still taking it, I'm not sure where you are getting this stuff, because the FDA banned it in 2003. Also, any supplement with Ma Huang in it is the same stuff, just different name.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here in NY I've met a surprisingly large number of overweight vegetarians. It is also my perception that they seem to come down with colds far more often than others around us.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The devil is in the details.

physasst said:
...and to the poster above who is still taking it, I'm not sure where you are getting this stuff, because the FDA banned it in 2003. Also, any supplement with Ma Huang in it is the same stuff, just different name.
As I stated, "Ephedrine HCL is still available as an over the counter drug." I was deliberate in my statement. Ephedra is the "herbal" form of the drug, and was banned due to a media inflamed furor. My statement is fact, as I received a shipment yesterday, that you can legitimately obtain this product on-line.

As to my awareness of the hazards associated with long term usage, yes I am aware that those hazards exist. Yes I am aware of increased metabolic rate at rest, increase in risk of neurological disorders etc. I am also aware of this, I weigh over 100 lbs less now than I did 5 years ago and any threat to my health, posed by continued use of ephedrine, pales in comparison to the threat posed by morbid obesity (hence the modifier "morbid"). MY weight problem, I recognize, is due to a psychological aberration that I do not understand and cannot repair. My most recent echo cardiogram, as well as my recent blood work, reveals no issues related to this drug or otherwise. Consider me an exception, or consider me lucky, or consider me a damn fool, but consider this, I can run and play with my teen age kids, I can walk with them in public without fear of them being embarrassed, I can do myriad things (cycling on and off-road) that I could not do if I weighed 350 lbs. I am willing to take the risk.

Thank you for the intelligent discourse.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
789 Posts
Leptin.

The greatest appetite suppressant is produced by our own bodies: leptin (currently under research). Many individuals who are overweight or obese have elevated levels of leptin, along with elevated levels of insulin. (Leptin is also elevated in some people with sleep apnea disorder.) The condition is commonly termed: insulin resistance and lately leptin resistance. Leptin works by inhibiting hunger in your brain, and vigorous exercise is the most effective way of controlling this powerful biochemical. Exercise also reduces your insulin levels, that also help curb your appetite. So, it behooves all of us to engage in vigorous exercise daily. I see it this way: I have to eat, so I have to exercise, and I choose the best exercise activity: cycling. It is a commitment to live a healthy and prudent life, so I will not become another statistical burden to the society I choose to live in.We should all foster a culture of fitness, and continue to lead others to this lifestyle by our own persistent and diligent example.
iliveonnitro said:

I am thinking about taking a weight loss supplement that contains ephedra. I am 5'7"/5'8" and 160lbs. I have a spare tire that was with me since birth, and most of the weight goes there or to my legs. At my prime I was 145lbs and still had the big legs and stomach. At that time I was on Atkins, quit Atkins and went to eating healthy (I was on a 1500cal/day for 2 weeks on atkins - I lost almost 1lb/day, decided it wasn't healthy and switched to eating normal and went to 150lbs). I exercised 2-3x a day to drop to that 145/150 weight. A morning run for 45 min (about 5 miles), eat a healthy breakfast, go to school, run or lift weights in gym, and run in the evening (lift weights if I didn't do so in the day). I incorporated a rest 2 days a week - Saturday and Wednesday. I never lost the gut/big legs, despite dropping there.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.