Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List the carnage here.

So far I am clean. Of course I know that statement has doomed me to some serious breakage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wrapped my derailleur around my cassette on sunday during the capital city cross. Still shifted through all ten gears. Mud was the only thing still holding it together.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sucked up a corner post, snapped the deraileur hanger and hosed the rear deraileur in the blink of an eye on my Stevens carbon cross during the weekly Wednesday CX training race. Of course since this happened on a Wednesday and I was scheduled to fly out to the USGP Planet Bike season opener on Friday morning. No problem I thought, I will call Sinclair first thing in the morning but they (the US distributor for Stevens) were out of stock but a call to Wheels Manufacturing and they saved the day although I had to have the parts sent UPS Red Label (next day air) to our hotel which made for a very expensive replacement hanger.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
derailleur hangers x 2 rolled off 2 tires and busted a dura ace rear mech. All but the tires were from training and getting little sticks where they did not belong. Expensive couple weeks. I think my mastic went bad in the can sitting in the garage for a year, the tires just rolled off 3 weeks after gluing.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Knocking on wood......

·
Registered
313 Posts
my bike was brand new off the floor last week of August, a 2-day cross camp, 4 practice sessions, and 3 races later it is luckily still in one piece, but is not quite so new looking anymore :)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Ouch!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Mr.SBC said:
the same happened to me last year at jingle cross. finally fixed it recently.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
1990-ish Dura Ace 8 speed hub is toast. The front tubular will be remounted no problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are SRAM Rival shift paddles ever supposed to be able to angle outward/forward beyond the brake lever?

I was trying to shift up to the big ring today in the race and it won't go so in the heat of the moment i think i heard a pop and the shift paddle was somehow inside and forward of the lever. i was like wtf. i pulled it back to its normal position and it seemed to work ok, but later in teh race it bent up again. i need to go inspect it, but i'm afraid...

ok just looked. looks like there is a little cam on a pin that blocks the shifter from going upward too far. its missing on the broken side. hrmm good thing these Rivals are rebuildable/fixable, right?

·
Registered
307 Posts
i ripped the rear derailleur off my backup bike after snapping the chain in half, after dropping a chain and flatting on the primary bike. sucks it was a SRAM Force rear derailleur $$$

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
bent both levers inward on Wednesday in a crash but they seem to be working fine. I don't crankt oo hard on the bolts when installing them, a trick I learned from mountian biking, so the clamp rotates before something snaps.

My shoes also finally bit the dust after over two years, but it wasn't exactly the race that did that, more like, well, two years of use. Was having to tighten the straps on my right shoe every lap. very annoying.

·
I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED
181 Posts
I guess a flat is not so bad....

after seeing some real damage. So far I just got a 2in nail though the tread and out the sidewall. Stan's sealed it till I got home. At least it didn't damage the rim and it came out the side just above the brakes. I'll tube it and go wear it out in practice. View attachment 212969

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
So far I've lost my;

Dignity :blush2:
Standing on my team :cryin:
Reputation (that's not really true...) :lol:

Only five races in... still 10-12 races to go!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts